UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you learn the lyrics to songs you like? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583113)

ChucklesMginty 01-16-2013 07:49 AM

Do you learn the lyrics to songs you like?

I always find it weird at a concert when everybody sings along and they seem to know every word to every song. For me to learn the lyrics to just one song takes forever, I have a pretty terrible memory. So to me, the idea that most people in the crowd know the lyrics almost off by heart to all the bands most popular songs freaks me out.

Frisbee.

slash_GNR666 01-16-2013 07:51 AM

I learn lyrics to songs by just listening to them so I guess you could say I like them

Ninja Vampirate 01-16-2013 07:53 AM

Well I listen to my favourite songs a lot, so I learn them anyway

Unless it's death metal or some shit, cos then you can't hear shit

mulefish 01-16-2013 08:03 AM

I used too.
I still do occasionally; but only if the poetry intrigues me.

For instance; I quite enjoy pink floyd, porcupine tree, rise against, tool and coheed from a lyrical perspective. And find myself learning quite a lot of the lyrics to those bands.

I pick up a lot of the lyrics just from repeated listens though; especially the more catchy stuff. There are only a few bands whose lyrics I consciously try to learn.

willT08 01-16-2013 08:03 AM

If it's a rap song I actively look them up and get the whole song down. Otherwise I just learn them as I listen to it over and over.

JohnnyGenzale 01-16-2013 08:03 AM

If it's a song I want to play and sing then I do yes.

Most of the time I hear the lyrics quite quickly but that depends on what I focus on initially when hearing it.

gabcd86 01-16-2013 08:04 AM

For the most part, I know the lyrics well enough to sing along after hearing it a few times. I'd have to consciously make an effort to remember them if I was singing on my own or even with a band, but along to the recording? No worries.

Obsceneairwaves 01-16-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666
I learn lyrics to songs by just listening to them so I guess you could say I like them

Pretty much this

and then If I want to play the song busking, I'll look it up to double check if I'm singing it right or not

JenoUnion 01-16-2013 08:10 AM

I end up learning the lyrics just by listening to a song, and if I'm unsure about a line after a while, I'll look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
Unless it's death metal or some shit, cos then you can't hear shit

Death metal included... Death growling is something that you get used to. Might seem hard to understand at first, but once you get used to hearing that kind of stuff, you can figure it out just as easily.

Ninja Vampirate 01-16-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenoUnion
I end up learning the lyrics just by listening to a song, and if I'm unsure about a line after a while, I'll look it up.

Death metal included... Death growling is something that you get used to. Might seem hard to understand at first, but once you get used to hearing that kind of stuff, you can figure it out just as easily.

I've been listening to that sort of shit for like 10 years now, much of it is simply indecipherable

Mister.Y 01-16-2013 08:14 AM

It mostly happens automatically.

Hey, I just met you...

ChucklesMginty 01-16-2013 08:15 AM

How the hell are you able to learn them just by hearing them? :wtf:

There's nearly always at least 3 or 4 lines I can't understand, and even then it's really hard to memorize.

Mr.-Bungle 01-16-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
. For me to learn the lyrics to just one song takes forever, I have a pretty terrible memory.

This is exactley like me man, I went to an Incubus concert and for some of Brandons fast rappy songs, I was a bit cluey at what all the lyrics were and then I had some 50 year old pub crawl chick next to me screaming every single word..

Then there's times when I'm amongst friends and I just casually sing some songs that are stuck in my head and they happily correct my changes.. That's happens so often. It so hard to remember and so my brain just supplements the words at times.

Oh woe is we..

primusfan 01-16-2013 08:47 AM

I usually learn the lyrics from just listening to an album a lot.

WCPhils 01-16-2013 08:48 AM

I know the lyrics to pretty much every song/album I like. Never put much thought into it really. :shrug:

Skullivan 01-16-2013 09:29 AM

Chief Keef

theogonia777 01-16-2013 09:30 AM

Obviously I learn the lyrics if I plan on performing the song, but otherwise almost never.

Krieger91 01-16-2013 09:32 AM

Never consciously. I just end up learning them by listening to them.

I couldn't imagine myself sitting down and trying to memorize them.

daytripper75 01-16-2013 09:37 AM

I know them when I hear the song, but there aren't many songs that I can just sing all of the lyrics on my own without the song playing.

EDIT: Take Frank Turner for example. I've seen him live a few times. I can easily sing along with most of his songs when he's playing them. That said, if you asked me to sing one from start to finish right now, I'd probably just stare at you. I need the music itself to prompt my memory of the lyrics.

JackWhiteIsButts 01-16-2013 09:43 AM

Lol, nah, I'll normally pick up a few lines here and there provided there are vocals at all.