UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Are Protest The Hero showing us the future of music? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583257)

Philip_pepper 01-17-2013 03:28 AM

Are Protest The Hero showing us the future of music?

http://www.punknews.org/article/503...rough-indiegogo

http://www.indiegogo.com/protestthehero

They needed 125,000 bucks, they got over 140,000 now.

Are record labels closer to death?

N_J_B_B 01-17-2013 03:33 AM

god I hope so

TheChaz 01-17-2013 03:36 AM

They got funding easily because they're a known band. Have to see how it works out with an unknown band first.

Redsectoreh 01-17-2013 03:36 AM

Not a big fan of this band but I support this idea completely.

Joshua Garcia 01-17-2013 03:37 AM

Doubt it. Don't really care or anything though.

Morphogenesis26 01-17-2013 03:39 AM

Given that Bandcamp allows bands to get their music out a lot easier and for a great price, if any, and adding in the rise of Kickstarter, this was sort of to be expected.

I don't think it's fair to use PtH as an example of leading a new model, primarily because they're already pretty well established in the "Prog punk metalcore stuffz" scene. It'd be cool to see a new band use this model and the results end up being good, though.

crazysam23_Atax 01-17-2013 03:42 AM

To a degree, yes. But this has been a long time coming. I'd say that record labels are on their way out, fortunately.

Prototype4342 01-17-2013 03:42 AM

Wait... so they ask for funding to do the album, then charge people for the album? Why not use the money from the last album for this one?

Edit: nevermind, just read through the second link.

Macabre_Turtle 01-17-2013 03:44 AM

I am astonished and overjoyed to see this many people supporting a band that deserves it so much so quickly... but this won't work any time soon for anybody that isn't already relatively successful to begin with. But hell, maybe if tons of established bands start doing this it will force record labels to continue picking up new bands that deserve success.

Deliriumbassist 01-17-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
They got funding easily because they're a known band. Have to see how it works out with an unknown band first.

Not unknown, but certainly a band that had fallen out of the more mainstreamy popularity that used to have, InMe did this last year and received 314% of their goal. The singer's less known solo work hit 492% of his goal. InMe asked for a similar amount to PtH, Dave Macca asked for around 2/3rds of it, IIRC.

PtH aren't showing us the future of music- plenty of bands have been doing it- the aforementioned, Serj Tankian, The Rasmus, SoIL and plenty of others have done it, PtH are just joining a trend.

Thrashtastic15 01-17-2013 03:50 AM

can you please write the full name of the bloody band at least once

TheChaz 01-17-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Not unknown, but certainly a band that had fallen out of the more mainstreamy popularity that used to have, InMe did this last year and received 314% of their goal. The singer's less known solo work hit 492% of his goal. InMe asked for a similar amount to PtH, Dave Macca asked for around 2/3rds of it, IIRC.

PtH aren't showing us the future of music- plenty of bands have been doing it- the aforementioned, Serj Tankian, The Rasmus, SoIL and plenty of others have done it, PtH are just joining a trend.

This seems like a great way for established bands to break with their labels, but it's still too early to see if it'll be a way for new bands to break into the business. I think it'd be a lot harder for a local band to amass any amount of funds, especially if this becomes a popular way of funding recordings.

Wiegenlied 01-17-2013 04:04 AM

Protest the Hero are playing in a dive bar in my town in a couple weeks that I've played a bunch of times, 5 times this year actually, and are playing with crappy local bands that friends I have are in. tickets are 10 bucks and the facebook page has under 100 people going. Sure seems like things aregoing well for them!

Macabre_Turtle 01-17-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiegenlied
Protest the Hero are playing in a dive bar in my town in a couple weeks that I've played a bunch of times, 5 times this year actually, and are playing with crappy local bands that friends I have are in. tickets are 10 bucks and the facebook page has under 100 people going. Sure seems like things aregoing well for them!

Bigger bands than them let crappy local bands open all the time, and Facebook event pages are a horrible way to judge how many people are actually going.

TunerAddict 01-17-2013 04:10 AM

If the future is shitty music, then yes, they are the future.

crazysam23_Atax 01-17-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
If the future is shitty music, then yes, they are the future.

SlackerBabbath 01-17-2013 04:19 AM

I remember when bands used to get money from their fans after they had recorded their album.

metacarpi 01-17-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist

Boom, knowledge bomb.

As a side note - I chipped in a few quid on the InMe fund.

Deliriumbassist 01-17-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
This seems like a great way for established bands to break with their labels, but it's still too early to see if it'll be a way for new bands to break into the business. I think it'd be a lot harder for a local band to amass any amount of funds, especially if this becomes a popular way of funding recordings.

True. It's going to be one of those things that filters down rather than work it's way up. If a local, up and coming band can utilise this alongside social media and offering the right incentives etc, it just might work (and if they only take the money once the goal is reached). I can see it failing for a lot of bands though, because a lot of small, local bands don't understand the concepts of networking and advertisement. Pledgemusic, Kickstarter etc should only be considered as a tool, but it needs everything else to work properly. Putting a percentage to a charity via pledges doesn't harm anything either.

rockingamer2 01-17-2013 04:47 AM

I would like to see how much their new album is pirated and how that compares to when they were with a label.