UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Differences between metal sub genres (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583272)

dietermoreno 01-17-2013 06:30 AM

Differences between metal sub genres

I have some confusion about differences between metal sub genres.

I almost had an anyurism when someone on YouTube labeled a band as "metalemocore" and "metalgaycore".

Is this list that I have here correct?:

Prerequiste: The definition of garbage and the definition of punk

Sleeping With Sirens is related to punk rock. Post hardcore evolved from punk rock.

Some post hardcore bands are just garbage, like blood on the dance floor, black veil brides, Asking Alexandria, Abandon All Ships, Attack! Attack!, Make Me Famous, and Falling In Reverse.

Sleeping With Sirens is okay post hardcore.

Memphis May Fire is how post hardcore is supposed to sound.

Rise Against is also post hardcore.

So is A Day To Remember.

You can feel the rebellious punk spirit in these songs. So you can see that post hardcore is related to punk.

Post hardcore is actually more similar to punk than metalcore, because punk is against guitar solos and is about being a free thinker and post hard core is also usually against guitar solos and is about being a free thinker.

Metal core is hardcore punk with guitar solos and elements of thrash.

Those garbage bands that I listed, I don't think they even deserve to be called post hardcore, just there is nothing else to call them.

I think they could be fit into the same genre as Justin beiber: popular artists who only care about making money and how they look.

black veil brides is the opposite of punk.

Kiss is also the opposite of punk. How interesting that bvb get their fashion from Kiss.

Pretty much any band that can fill a stadium is the opposite of punk.

That means that the Rolling Stones aren't punk either, but they aren't garbage either.

Metal sub genres and comparasons to related genres

post hardcore is hardcore punk rock with synth, screaming, clean vocals, and has guitar riffs instead of just power chords like punk rock only has power chords. post hardcore doesn't usually have guitar solos, like punk.
metalcore is hardcore punk rock with screaming, clean vocals, has guitar riffs, and guitar solos are allowed.

examples of post hardcore artists who aren't garbage: Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce The Veil, Woe Is Me, Rise Against, Escape The Fate (depends on what song), blessthefall, Memphis May Fire, The Word Alive, Miss May I, The Color Morale

examples of metal core artists who aren't garbage: As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Escape The Fate (depends on what song)

examples of pop artists who aren't garbage: Panic At The Disco

I forgot Avenged Sevenfold. They don't fit neatly into any genre. Everyone of their albumns is different.

Waking The Fallen: metalcore

City of Evil: heavy metal

Avenged Sevenfold: heavy metal or hard rock depending on the song

Nightmare: heavy metal or hard rock depending on the song

I would classify I See Stars as both Post Hardcore and Electronicore depending on the song.

I would classify Lamb of God and Pantera as grindcore.

I would classify Rings of Saturn as death metal.

I would classify Metallica, Antrax, and Slayer as thrash.

I would classify Suicide Silence and Oceano as deathcore.

I forgot hard rock for comparsion.

Examples of hard rock artists: AC/DC, buck Cherry, Theory of a Deadman, Stoned Sour

Examples of nu metal artists: Linkin Park, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Slipknot

Examples of heavy metal artists: black Sabath, Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Megadef

wintee_madness 01-17-2013 06:42 AM

Leave now, and never come back... Pantera are a Grindcore band are they... :haha:

Kepulix 01-17-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietermoreno
What the fuck.

You put a lot of trouble into nothing, mate.

Wesbanez 01-17-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintee_madness
Leave now, and never come back...

This, please go away and mull over what a pointless load of drivel you just posted.

We know being 14 is tough, you want to classify everything and prove to other 14 year olds that you can read wikipedia, but for everyone else its boring and really quite sad.

Please PM me your mailing address so I can invoice you for the pain I experienced reading through your "post".

wintee_madness 01-17-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Please PM me your mailing address so I can invoice you for the pain I experienced reading through your "post".

This!

Ultraussie 01-17-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Ohhhhhh you out to rustle people's jimmies.

Why did you make this OP?

And what the helll does post hardcore have to do with anything?
IN the metal forum?
And pretty much 99% of the people in this metal subforum already know the subgenres, your pretty off with them, and like, subgenres arent concrete, allot of bands take influences from different subgenres, not nessacarily make crossover genres but you get what I mean..

Like yeh

Stop trying to classify everything.

BENDO789 01-17-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:
Rise Against is also post hardcore.

Pretty much any band that can fill a stadium is the opposite of punk.

So Rise Against are the opposite of punk? Nice logic...

ChemicalFire 01-17-2013 08:50 AM

Everything you've posted is wrong.

Everything. (well maybe not quite everything but everyone knows that Slayer are thrash...)

You can learn something if you hang around, but so far you know nothing of music. Let's get a few things straight.

Post Hardcore- A genre that is EXTREMELY hard to define, Botch is post hardcore, but honestly I'm not enough of a expert to tell you why. Synths + Breakdowns DOES NOT make posthardcore.

Metalcore IS metal mixed with hardcore elements, but all the bands you listed are"numetalcore" which is the scene that occurred by watering down Melodic Hardcore bands like 7 Angels 7 Plagues and mixing it with Melodic Death Metal from the Scandinavian scene, which resulted in all the hardcore elements being washed out and the bands just sound like a bad version of metal (mostly). These days Metalcore is used as a by word for watered down Metal akin to Asking Alexandria. This is wrong. Bands like Converge are "tr00" metalcore.

And this is grindcore...

Please explain how lamb of god sounds like this?

AJScott 01-17-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

post hard core is also usually against guitar solos and is about being a free thinker.

I would of thought solos were breaking out of what everyone else is doing, standing out, bruv.

badfish_lewis 01-17-2013 09:50 AM

"Those garbage bands that I listed, I don't think they even deserve to be called post hardcore, just there is nothing else to call them.
I think they could be fit into the same genre as Justin beiber: popular artists who only care about making money and how they look."

Yes because only real artists don't care about money. Are you an idiot? You don't think your "cool" artists care about money? My friend, when you grow up, have kids (God I hope you don't), a mortgage, car payments etc. you will quickly learn that unless you want to live on the street you do need money. Grow up.

Wesbanez 01-17-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish_lewis
you will quickly learn that unless you want to live on the street you do need money. Grow up.

+1 skinny jeans, black makeup and bi-daily trips to the latest "trendy" hairdressers doesn't come cheap.

dietermoreno 01-17-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Yes because only real artists don't care about money. Are you an idiot? You don't think your "cool" artists care about money? My friend, when you grow up, have kids (God I hope you don't), a mortgage, car payments etc. you will quickly learn that unless you want to live on the street you do need money. Grow up.

Well that's why I don't want to be a professional artist, because I wouldn't want to cater to a sub genre and fan base that is mass marketable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Everything you've posted is wrong.

Everything. (well maybe not quite everything but everyone knows that Slayer are thrash...)

You can learn something if you hang around, but so far you know nothing of music. Let's get a few things straight.

Post Hardcore- A genre that is EXTREMELY hard to define, Botch is post hardcore, but honestly I'm not enough of a expert to tell you why. Synths + Breakdowns DOES NOT make posthardcore.

Metalcore IS metal mixed with hardcore elements, but all the bands you listed are"numetalcore" which is the scene that occurred by watering down Melodic Hardcore bands like 7 Angels 7 Plagues and mixing it with Melodic Death Metal from the Scandinavian scene, which resulted in all the hardcore elements being washed out and the bands just sound like a bad version of metal (mostly). These days Metalcore is used as a by word for watered down Metal akin to Asking Alexandria. This is wrong. Bands like Converge are "tr00" metalcore.

And this is grindcore...

Please explain how lamb of god sounds like this?

I didn't call Asking Alexandria metalcore, I called them both post hardcore and garbage.

I called As I Lay Dying and All That Remains metalcore.

I have never heard of grind core before, and when I said on Facebook that Lamb of God was metalcore, I was corrected and told it is grind core.

So how would you describe Lamb of God then if it is neither metalcore nor grind core?

Would Lamb of God be melodic death metal?

I apologize if there is already a thread that discusses this subject.

Please link me to it if there is already a thread that discusses this subject.

Hopefully if I hang out on here more and less on Facebook and Wikipedia, I will learn something about this subject.

Wesbanez 01-17-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:
I have never heard of grind core before, and when I said on Facebook that Lamb of God was metalcore, I was corrected and told it is grind core.

All this proves is that your Facebook "friends" are ******s :)

ChemicalFire 01-17-2013 11:33 AM

Lamb of God are either Metalcore or Groove Metal, depending on how kind you want to be about their status as a metalband, but either would probably be right to some extent.

eazy-c 01-17-2013 11:45 AM

None of those bands are post-hardcore.

Nietsche 01-17-2013 12:23 PM

The metal recommendation thread at the top of the forum has an Okish overview of most metal subgenres and album recommendations for each sub-genre. I recommend reading and checking out a few of the albums. You might actually learn something.

llanafreak44 01-17-2013 12:30 PM

Where do you see the punk influence in Sleeping With Sirens? They sound like Paramore with Justin Beiber as the singer.

Steve08 01-17-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraussie
Ohhhhhh you out to rustle people's jimmies.

Why did you make this OP?

And what the helll does post hardcore have to do with anything?
IN the metal forum?
And pretty much 99% of the people in this metal subforum already know the subgenres, your pretty off with them, and like, subgenres arent concrete, allot of bands take influences from different subgenres, not nessacarily make crossover genres but you get what I mean..

Like yeh

Stop trying to classify everything.
When Ultraussie, of all people, cuts to the heart of a thread, you know the TS is probably ******ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Lamb of God are either Metalcore or Groove Metal, depending on how kind you want to be about their status as a metalband, but either would probably be right to some extent.
Groove metal does not exist, any band that I've heard in that style incorporates vaguely thrash oriented riffs at middle tempos and then chops it all up with annoying, syncopated "groove" (I hate when people use this term in regards to metalcore. It's like, just listen to Parliament) riffs. They are metalcore, only they use harmonic minor/Phrygian dominant-esque note choice to achieve some semblance of an identity. Bands like LoG and also Chimaira, really any "NWOAHM" band, represent a contemporary descent into Pantera-styled crowd pandering that begin with albums such as Heartwork and Slaughter of the Soul which destroyed almost all cerebral aspects of underground metal, and so normed it into the commercial surrogate for socialization that is rock music, something I personally feel is worthy of intense scorn and contempt.

Haytham 01-17-2013 03:20 PM

Post- genre labels, as far as I'm aware, generally refers to using the basic tropes of a style of music, but going beyond them in some sense through complexity, using the tropes towards different ends than they were originally used for, and so on. It takes what already exists past itself. It's a fairly nebulous label at times, but at the same time I'm not sure that there's much of a basis for calling bands like Rise Against 'post-hardcore,' or generally bands which don't so much develop and complicate a genre but rather change it with outside influences or more melodic tendencies.

Quote:

Only. It's a word. It means a thing.

Nietsche 01-17-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haytham
Post- genre labels, as far as I'm aware, generally refers to using the basic tropes of a style of music, but going beyond them in some sense through complexity, using the tropes towards different ends than they were originally used for, and so on.

The post-rock bands that I've listened to don't tend to use any of the tropes of rock music besides the instrumentation though. And complexity doesn't sound like a feature of post-anything either. Most of the time it seems to refer to bands, usually instrumental, who have an ambient/atmospheric sound.