UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   SM57 ?'s (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583285)

OurRequiem 01-17-2013 08:44 AM

SM57 ?'s

I'm looking to upgrade my recording gear in the coming weeks here and one thing i plan on doing is going out and getting a sm57 and running it into reaper via a UX2. The plan is to mic up my 333xl as i recently got a legacy v30 cabinet and the tube/v30/sm57 combo should be a big step up from Gearbox tones. (im still in the beginning phases of setting up a decent home studio obvisouly)

Ok so now about the ux2 sm57 combo. Ive read mixed reviews about this combination ive read that ux2 can't run the sm57 to its full potential and turns out sounding bad?it doesnt have enough phantom power? So what i'm looking for is a solid ansewer as to wether or not i should bother buying a sm57? Are there other options as far as microphones go that the ux2 could run more effectively?

thanks.

tim_mop 01-17-2013 08:53 AM

The SM57 doesn't need phantom power as it's a dynamic mic.

At a guess, what the reviews are probably referring to is the quality of the mic preamp in the UX2. I'd imagine its not the best.

However, to start out it, using an SM57 with the UX2 will work fine and will certainly be a major step up from amp simulations.

Are you planning on recording anything else with the micrphone? If you are recording vocals as well for example, there might be better choices for you depending on your budget.

Hope this helps
TM

kyle62 01-17-2013 09:28 AM

Yeah, the UX2 will work nicely with the SM57.

Have you tried running a line out from your 333XL into the UX2 and then using cabinet modelling on the PC? That would probably be the best approach.

lockwolf 01-17-2013 09:50 AM

I'd get rid of the UX2 since the pres on those are pretty subpar compared to a lot of others in its price range but you'll be fine. Its not like you're trying to mic a 5-Watt starter amp or a Spider amp

chatterbox272 01-17-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_mop
However, to start out it, using an SM57 with the UX2 will work fine and will certainly be a major step up from amp simulations.

Heavily debatable, a well set up amp sim will sound way better than a poorly mic'd amp.

If you like the sound you get from your 333XL then the SM57 will work fine with the UX2.
I would however recommend learning how to get good tones from amp simulators, it can really benefit the sound I find if you double/quad track and use different amp sounds. And sometimes there are tones that you just won't be able to get from the 333XL so the versatility is a huge plus.

OurRequiem 01-18-2013 04:02 AM

im not planning on recording vocals with the 57 if i were to id just buy a 58 too just so i had both on hand. Ive thought about it and i think i am going to get a 57 and try it out, i can get the sims to sound ok but i feel that a real amp and a real mic will sound superior,

thanks for clearing this up for me!

chatterbox272 01-18-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurRequiem
im not planning on recording vocals with the 57 if i were to id just buy a 58 too just so i had both on hand. Ive thought about it and i think i am going to get a 57 and try it out, i can get the sims to sound ok but i feel that a real amp and a real mic will sound superior,

thanks for clearing this up for me!

If you ever do decide to record vocals, don't get an SM58. It's a fine mic for live use and the abuse it can take is unbeatable but in recording you want a nice condenser mic.

GaryBillington 01-18-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
If you ever do decide to record vocals, don't get an SM58. It's a fine mic for live use and the abuse it can take is unbeatable but in recording you want a nice condenser mic.

Also, the insides of the SM58 aren't very different from the SM57 so unless you need a mic for live work you might as well just use the SM57 to record any vocals until you're doing it enough to justify buying a condenser.

OurRequiem 01-18-2013 07:20 PM

hmmm did not know this i always thought the 58 was the superior vocal mic what type of condensers mics are good to start with?

GaryBillington 01-19-2013 04:55 AM

The SM58 is the 'superior vocal mic' for live work, but recording is a different thing altogether. I use mine for recording so it's not like you can't do it, but it's not the ideal solution in that environment.

There are a few threads recommending different mic's, for recording your guitar the SM57 is always going to be part of that conversation, but it's not the only answer as it will accentuate certain frequencies and is best used for close-up mic'ing, whereas a good Large Diaphragm Condenser will pick up all frequencies and can be used for mic'ing the room to pick up the amp's sound from a distance.

LDC's are also usually better for vocals, although I prefer using my SDC for that side of things. SDCs are also good for mic'ing an acoustic guitar. I only have a cheap Samson LDC/SDC set, and even they improved certain aspects of my recording over just using my SM57 & 58 for everything.

What is your full budget for recording gear, and what do you already have?

OurRequiem 01-19-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
The SM58 is the 'superior vocal mic' for live work, but recording is a different thing altogether. I use mine for recording so it's not like you can't do it, but it's not the ideal solution in that environment.

There are a few threads recommending different mic's, for recording your guitar the SM57 is always going to be part of that conversation, but it's not the only answer as it will accentuate certain frequencies and is best used for close-up mic'ing, whereas a good Large Diaphragm Condenser will pick up all frequencies and can be used for mic'ing the room to pick up the amp's sound from a distance.

LDC's are also usually better for vocals, although I prefer using my SDC for that side of things. SDCs are also good for mic'ing an acoustic guitar. I only have a cheap Samson LDC/SDC set, and even they improved certain aspects of my recording over just using my SM57 & 58 for everything.

What is your full budget for recording gear, and what do you already have?

I don't really have a budget to be honest, it's more or less buy as i go and cross it off the list haha but current funds would allow me to spend around 200 at the moment. The only thing i have right now however is a ux2...lol and a crappy audio technica mic and reaper of course. I've been recording for a while i just want to step it up.

GaryBillington 01-19-2013 01:35 PM

A new interface would probably be the best option (see the sticky for recommendations) - if you were to go used you may manage an interface & an SM57 on that amount, not sure how prices would be where you are.

OurRequiem 01-19-2013 01:52 PM

yeah ive often thought that ive been considering getting a saffire 6 if i got a new interface. Throw a little on that budget though boss because id sell the ux2 as well.

OurRequiem 01-19-2013 01:58 PM

How ever if i upgrade my interface is there one that would be able to handle mic'ing up a whole drum kit? ive tried with the ux2....lol....well just say that it didnt turn out as good as i hoped. I'm not sure what the saffire 6 is capable of i hear it's top of its class and is superior to the ux2.

lockwolf 01-19-2013 02:08 PM

If you plan on micing a drumkit, you're going to really benefit from more than 2 ins. Look into a Saffire Pro 40 or Scarlett 18i20