UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need pickups. Torn on what I want :( (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583366)

jeleopard 01-17-2013 07:08 PM

Need pickups. Torn on what I want :(
 
So I'm getting an Ibanez S470 (Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard) on Monday, and it comes with its stock PSNDS (Powersounds) pickups, which, from what I've read, suck.

I really like the D Activators on my 7, so those are always a choice, but I've also been debating about the Lace Deathbuckers. They sound like actives, and look cool too >.> Which would be the "better" choice (Read: More clear whilst still deliver the grit and punch) for death metal? Lace? D Activators? Other?

Thanks for your time.

And if someone says BKPs, gimme the money, and I'll gladly drop them in :haha:

FatalGear41 01-17-2013 07:16 PM

How about the Lace Drop n' Gain? Of the two you mentioned, you'll probably like the Deathbucker for what you plan to do.

jeleopard 01-17-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
How about the Lace Drop n' Gain? Of the two you mentioned, you'll probably like the Deathbucker for what you plan to do.



The Drop n' Gain? I've seen it on their site, but everyone talks about the deathbucker... Know nothing of the Drop n' Gain

jeleopard 01-18-2013 03:45 PM

...Bump? :)

Bladed-Vaults 01-18-2013 07:02 PM

If you cant do BKP. dont wanna go active. and wanna play death metal.
duncan distorition is for you.

if your against duncans for some reason.
crunch lab liquifier combo. (crunch lab has that nice crunchy bass that your gonna want. for DM)

jeleopard 01-18-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
If you cant do BKP. dont wanna go active. and wanna play death metal.
duncan distorition is for you.

if your against duncans for some reason.
crunch lab liquifier combo. (crunch lab has that nice crunchy bass that your gonna want. for DM)



I don't mind EMGs, not a fan of Blackouts. Other actives are always considered, but I've heard battery space is very slim in Ibanez S guitars.

Eppicurt 01-18-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
I don't mind EMGs, not a fan of Blackouts. Other actives are always considered, but I've heard battery space is very slim in Ibanez S guitars.

Truth.

If you can't go active, Duncan Distortions are sick for metal. Was really surprised as the clarity and the amount of output it had. Also consider the DiMarzio Dactivators, never had experience with them but they good a good rep here.

jeleopard 01-18-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Truth.

If you can't go active, Duncan Distortions are sick for metal. Was really surprised as the clarity and the amount of output it had. Also consider the DiMarzio Dactivators, never had experience with them but they good a good rep here.


I've been eyeing those as well, cause they're really cheap.

I enjoy the Dactivators in my 7, but I'm weird and can't have the same thing in all my guitars, y'know what I mean?

FatalGear41 01-18-2013 09:12 PM

I think the world of the Duncan Distortion pickup. I have them in a couple of guitars and they sound great. If you really want to go over the top, you could stick a Duncan Invader in there.

The Lace Drop n' Gain is pretty much what the title says: a high-output humbucker designed for people who down-tune their guitars. Like most Lace pickups, it is very good.

jeleopard 01-18-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
I think the world of the Duncan Distortion pickup. I have them in a couple of guitars and they sound great. If you really want to go over the top, you could stick a Duncan Invader in there.

The Lace Drop n' Gain is pretty much what the title says: a high-output humbucker designed for people who down-tune their guitars. Like most Lace pickups, it is very good.


Blech. I hate the Invader.

FatalGear41 01-18-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Blech. I hate the Invader.


I'm no fan of it either, but it is about as extreme as a passive pickup is likely to get.

TS, Gibson's Dirty Fingers is also a great pickup, but as with all things Gibson, it ain't cheap.

jeleopard 01-18-2013 09:55 PM

Yea, as a poor college student, price is totally a factor.

jeleopard 01-18-2013 10:27 PM

Bah. Forgot to mention, I'll need a single coil. I know nothing of single coils :|

Blktiger0 01-19-2013 05:01 AM

I'm gonna give the Duncan Distortion a +1

In addition, good considerations:

Dimarzio D Activator-X
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Dimarzio Crunch Lab
Seymour Duncan Duncan Custom
Seymour Duncan Alternative 8
Seymour Duncan JB Model

The D Activator-X is supposed to be like a cross between the D Activator and X2N

The Super Distortion is Dimarzio's take on the Duncan Distortion

The CrunchLab is an excellent Metal pickup in general, and is pretty clear sounding

The Duncan Custom is awesome for Drop Tuned, high-gain, heavy riffing.

The Alternative 8 is kinda different as a pickup. It's got the sound and feel of an AlNiCo with output like a ceramic. Pretty good metal pickup.

The JB is another all-around awesome pickup. Not very bass-heavy, but it handles bass well if you dial it in on your amp. Great for tight bass during riffing. It's a pretty clear pickup in general, and is the workhorse of the Duncan lineup. The JB's good for just about anything.

Boonnoo666 01-19-2013 06:01 AM

To be honest I don't like Deathbuckers much, they sound a bit like BKPs which I really don't like.
I would say go for Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.

jeleopard 01-19-2013 03:23 PM

I might just go with Distortions just because of money.

And Ola Englund and Keith Marrow seem to love them...

Now about that single coil....

steven seagull 01-19-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Yea, as a poor college student, price is totally a factor.

In that case why is this an issue at all?

If you've "read" that the pickups suck then that's a worthless piece of information isn't it? And if you're a "poor" college student then why are you considering spending your precious cash on an expensive, low impact modification to a guitar you don't even own yet. Screw the pickups, spend the money on booze and hookers.

It doesn't matter what you've read, ignore it. All that matters is what you hear. Get the guitar. Play the guitar. Listen to the guitar. If you don't like the sound then fair enough, assess why you don't like it and figure out what you need to do to improve matters, might be a pickup swap, might not be.

This notion that you somehow HAVE to replace the pickups in a guitar is a pretty recent thing and seems to be little more than kids on the internet wanting to outdo each other. I know loads of pro players and half of them couldn't give a shit about pickups, they just run with whatever's in the guitar they bought - of course they'll listen to that guitar before they buy it, but if they liked the sound when they bought it what's the point in wasting money changing something that doesn't need to be changed?

But to be asking for pickup recommendations for a guitar you don't even own yet, especially if money isn't an unlimited resource, is simply ******ed.

I'm pretty sure Paul Gilbert has played guitars with the stock Powersounds in them so if they're good enough for him there's no reason they couldn't be good enough for you either. That's only something I read though, so it's got no bearing on youre decision, has it? :)

Use your own ears. Make your own decision.

jeleopard 01-19-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
In that case why is this an issue at all?

If you've "read" that the pickups suck then that's a worthless piece of information isn't it? And if you're a "poor" college student then why are you considering spending your precious cash on an expensive, low impact modification to a guitar you don't even own yet. Screw the pickups, spend the money on booze and hookers.

It doesn't matter what you've read, ignore it. All that matters is what you hear. Get the guitar. Play the guitar. Listen to the guitar. If you don't like the sound then fair enough, assess why you don't like it and figure out what you need to do to improve matters, might be a pickup swap, might not be.

This notion that you somehow HAVE to replace the pickups in a guitar is a pretty recent thing and seems to be little more than kids on the internet wanting to outdo each other. I know loads of pro players and half of them couldn't give a shit about pickups, they just run with whatever's in the guitar they bought - of course they'll listen to that guitar before they buy it, but if they liked the sound when they bought it what's the point in wasting money changing something that doesn't need to be changed?

But to be asking for pickup recommendations for a guitar you don't even own yet, especially if money isn't an unlimited resource, is simply ******ed.

I'm pretty sure Paul Gilbert has played guitars with the stock Powersounds in them so if they're good enough for him there's no reason they couldn't be good enough for you either. That's only something I read though, so it's got no bearing on youre decision, has it? :)

Use your own ears. Make your own decision.


Well, yes, if the pickups don't actually suck, I'd definitely keep them.

But also, as a music major, sound quality it nice to have.

But I'll think about the booze and hookers part. Maybe less hookers, the lady friend might not appreciate that ;)

Bladed-Vaults 01-19-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard

Now about that single coil....



You playing death metal and care about the single coil???

duncan hot rail if you must... but I seriously doubt you must.

I suggest the distorition first (not tryin to outdo anyone) but also think of the super 2 and 3 from dimarzio.
3 has a ton of mid and very nice bass. and is super effin hot... like BKP warpig hot 23k
PAF in the neck!!!

to say you dont like blackouts is to say you have played them all?
phase 1. phase 2 (metal) and the emty???
the last two murder standard emgs for metal playing.

Im not sure if anyones asked yet but what amp are you playing through?

jeleopard 01-19-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
You playing death metal and care about the single coil???

duncan hot rail if you must... but I seriously doubt you must.

I suggest the distorition first (not tryin to outdo anyone) but also think of the super 2 and 3 from dimarzio.
3 has a ton of mid and very nice bass. and is super effin hot... like BKP warpig hot 23k
PAF in the neck!!!

to say you dont like blackouts is to say you have played them all?
phase 1. phase 2 (metal) and the emty???
the last two murder standard emgs for metal playing.

Im not sure if anyones asked yet but what amp are you playing through?


I play more than death metal, but death metal will be the focus. And by death metal, I guess I kinda mean Faceless and HAARP Machine. So proggy death metal. Whatever.

And I have tried Blackouts Phase 2 and 1. They had good clarity, but lacked the "balls" EMG has, if that makes sense.

And as for amp, currently my POD HD, but trying to trade that for a 6505 or something.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.