UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Good Indie-Rock/Punk Distortion Pedal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583372)

Westerburned 01-17-2013 07:53 PM

Good Indie-Rock/Punk Distortion Pedal

Alright, I am looking for a distortion pedal that would be good for punk and indie rock. I'm looking for something versatile and biting, but not crunchy. I listen to a lot of The Replacements, The Strokes, PJ Harvey, ****ed Up, and Radiohead, so something that fits that bill would be cool. The gear I'm working with: Fender Jaguar and Fender Blues Jr. Amp. Thanks!

iwannabesedated 01-17-2013 07:56 PM

Well, a standard for punk is the Proco Rat.

Apparently the guy in the Strokes uses a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde OD/Distortion. That might work for you. The guy in PJ Harvey uses a DS-1, which is really cheap so if you wanted to try it you could just buy it used and see if it worked for you.

Dave_Mc 01-17-2013 07:56 PM

biting but not crunchy? most distortions are pretty crunchy. maybe a rat? the turbo is pretty crunchy but the normal rat is less so. or cheap out and get the mooer black secret, it's a clone of the two in one pedal.

schecter ftw 01-17-2013 08:00 PM

I believe the guys in the Strokes used a Jekyll and Hyde Overdrive pedal. That might be something to consider.

joe_k 01-18-2013 01:02 AM

Proco Rat. If you want to spend a little extra for an excellent Rat, get the Proco WF 85 resissue.

/thread

sg4ever 01-18-2013 10:10 AM

I'm going to back the Rat up on this one. Don't get the Rat 2 though, unless you plan to have it modified. The Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde could also be a viable option. I'm not sure what you mean about biting but not crunchy though...all of that music can get pretty crunchy (not super distorted, but crunchy)...

Dave_Mc 01-18-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
I'm not sure what you mean about biting but not crunchy though...

+1, i'd have said they were synonyms (or near enough, anyway). unless he means like a fuzz or something like that.

gerraguitar 01-18-2013 12:15 PM

i love the Rat, it's a really versatile pedal. i've used a Blues Driver stacked with a modded TS9 for Strokes stuff before, but it's what was on my board at the time so I just ran with it. wasn't the worst thing

Dave_Mc 01-18-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
i love the Rat, it's a really versatile pedal.

+1

there are pedals that do one thing better than a rat- but i can't think of anything that do as many things as a rat does, nor as well as a rat does them.

at least if you don't count those modded/byoc-style upgrades to existing circuits- you know, putting soft clipping in a distortion pedal, that kind of thing, so you have the option between soft and hard etc.

also, the filter (tone) control on a rat is really cool (and really simple, but it actually works)- a lot of pedals are either bright or dark and turning the tone control only fine tunes that inherent voicing. the rat's one of the few pedals i've played which has enough range in the filter/tone control to sound good with a wide range of amps.

gerraguitar 01-18-2013 12:34 PM

i'll probably get some heat for this but I got my Rat modded by JHS, and it's pretty decent. I tend you only leave it on one of the 3 modes they give it, but it definitely has more clarity to it, and it can get really loud and still hold it's integrity. i will say that the stock Rat that you get now isn't as bad as a lot of people say it is, most people who mod them mod them closer to what they used to be like (i think), but using a new Rat straight out of the box is a solid choice

tubetime86 01-18-2013 01:15 PM

I came in here to say Rat... Apparently that's been covered. I'll show myself out. :haha:

(Mine is Reutz modded... I'm not sure there exists an easier mod, and the difference is pretty obvious. I did put a trimpot in there instead of just clipping the resistor though, so now I can dial it in how I want it.)

FrustratedRocka 01-18-2013 11:22 PM

I'm gonna have to go with the Rat on this as well - I haven't heard it praised for its versatility until now, but IIRC it'll definitely help get you that Strokes / Radiohead distortion sound.

That said, if you're willing to spend a bit more, I know a guy with a Keeley fuzz that might also fit the bill. I unfortunately can't remember what that exact pedal is - I think it might be red. Also-alternately, check out the Devi Ever '90. I happen to be selling one, so I would be very happy if you decided you wanted one, but I do think that might be getting away from your desired sound a bit.