UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site Suggestions (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Bots stealing tabs? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583376)

ruker 01-17-2013 08:20 PM

Bots stealing tabs?

Sorry if this isn't the right place...

Normally when I check out the tab submissions queue, I first look at my favorite bands. When I did that today, I noticed a ton of tabs from some of my favorite bands ALL submitted at the same time from a few different UG users.

So realizing something wasn't right, I then opened some of the tabs and noticed they were my tabs, stolen from www.RiversOfGore.com, simply re-submitted here at UG. I know people steal tabs from other sites all the time and submit here, and UG really can't police that. But the stolen tabs are tabs that I (and others) have also submitted here.

After investigating the users (Surfer_bri, BJAY, MoonPieCadet, starnerd1214, Alengwin, Waldochj, Puma235972, Spritulrik and ialisos so far) who submitted the stolen tabs, they ALL registered on either November 3rd or 4th of 2001. They all have a good amount of tabs submitted (100+ tabs each, likely all stolen... they don't change around info, which was a dead give away to my tabs) and their profiles are bare (no friends, no info except maybe AIM/MSN/ICQ, minimal profile views etc).

Can any admins/mods look into these users to see if they're all from the same IP or something? I don't appreciate my tabs from other sites being submitted here, especially after I've already submitted them here myself.

Fox-x-x 01-18-2013 09:50 AM

Hello Ruker,

Sorry for any inconvenience the users you told us about caused you. We will review all the tabs and won't let any doubles to get through the pre-approve system. And from here on we'll pay more attention to this kind of users.
Thank you very much for reporting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
Sorry if this isn't the right place...

Normally when I check out the tab submissions queue, I first look at my favorite bands. When I did that today, I noticed a ton of tabs from some of my favorite bands ALL submitted at the same time from a few different UG users.

So realizing something wasn't right, I then opened some of the tabs and noticed they were my tabs, stolen from www.RiversOfGore.com, simply re-submitted here at UG. I know people steal tabs from other sites all the time and submit here, and UG really can't police that. But the stolen tabs are tabs that I (and others) have also submitted here.

After investigating the users (Surfer_bri, BJAY, MoonPieCadet, starnerd1214, Alengwin, Waldochj, Puma235972, Spritulrik and ialisos so far) who submitted the stolen tabs, they ALL registered on either November 3rd or 4th of 2001. They all have a good amount of tabs submitted (100+ tabs each, likely all stolen... they don't change around info, which was a dead give away to my tabs) and their profiles are bare (no friends, no info except maybe AIM/MSN/ICQ, minimal profile views etc).

Can any admins/mods look into these users to see if they're all from the same IP or something? I don't appreciate my tabs from other sites being submitted here, especially after I've already submitted them here myself.

ruker 01-18-2013 08:46 PM

Thanks!

I know in the past, some users have taken tabs from RoG and re-posted here (it's bound to happen, this is the internet after all). But that was only a fraction of the database, and UG admins were nice enough to move all the stolen tabs to the original tabbers accounts here at UG... since most/all of us at RoG are members here too.

But this incident didn't seem capable of actual humans submitting, as it was basically the entire RoG database (a few hundred tabs) being submitted by those 9 users all within the exact same minute.

Again, thank you for looking in to this.

Fox-x-x 01-23-2013 10:21 AM

If you see any tab that is yours just PM me and I'll put it under your name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
Thanks!

I know in the past, some users have taken tabs from RoG and re-posted here (it's bound to happen, this is the internet after all). But that was only a fraction of the database, and UG admins were nice enough to move all the stolen tabs to the original tabbers accounts here at UG... since most/all of us at RoG are members here too.

But this incident didn't seem capable of actual humans submitting, as it was basically the entire RoG database (a few hundred tabs) being submitted by those 9 users all within the exact same minute.

Again, thank you for looking in to this.

ruker 01-30-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks for moving the tabs, but these users are at it again unfortunately.

killergege 01-31-2013 06:48 AM

But if those tabs already exist in UG, they should be rejected from the approval system (maybe UG could implement a check on submit : if the tab is exactly the same as an existing tab, it is automatically rejected ? I know this is easy to bypass, but it's a first check).

Aralingh 01-31-2013 07:01 AM

I would not personally do this nor do I support the actions of those people, but, I have to ask, what is the downside here?

They do not receive any money for this, nor do they receive any credit because it's easy to come to the conclusion that they did not tab it out themselves. On the other hand, however, if someone tabbed something out and didn't post it here, and someone "stole" it and did upload it to this site, more people get to learn by tab without any detriment to the person who originally transcribed this.

It feels as if this is a point of principle.

killergege 01-31-2013 07:07 AM

This is probably the same reason as to why some of my tabs were rejected when I submitted "improved" versions of the existing tab. This is obviously a question of principle.

BUT, in this case, the tabs were already submitted by the original tabber, so this is just noise / pollution (the process of approval is not perfect and some tabs might be accepted because they are good, even if this is a copy of an existing tab).