UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singing & Vocals (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Help needed making my voice prettier (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583496)

Knackworst1 01-18-2013 12:25 PM

Help needed making my voice prettier | UPDATED please re-read

EDIT 2: So ok I took singing lessons, please everyone re-listen and re-crit please :)

link: https://soundcloud.com/user838466916/voctest4

EDIT:

Ok so I recorded a new track in the hope to see some improvements... But unfortunately it's still not so good...

https://soundcloud.com/user838466916/vocstest

So please tell me what I should work on.

END of EDIT

Hello everyone,

I competed in a school-mini-concert, and I'm the leadsinger of my band.
So we've made a demo and it got accepted, however I don't really feel confortable about my singing voice...
So my music teacher always told me that I can sing.
And my father told me that the singing on the demo is actually good... (and he's not someone who would lie to make you feel better)

However I don't think my singing is that good yet...
Keeping tone is not the problem (sometimes I'm off but when I practice a song it should be ok) but I just don't like my singing voice in a way that I find it actually ugly...
I am planning on taking private lessons, for like 2 hours, but that is going to be in several months, so in the mean time I would like you to say and help me to make my voice prettier and overal just better so the people on my school concert will be (atleast a little) impressed.

Thanks in advance

Here's the demo (quality might not be perfect): http://safepolarbears.be/chordfish/demo.mp3

PSimonR 01-18-2013 02:34 PM

This is a bit random so please bear with me...

So, you sing like the guy out of Sisters of Mercy - yeah I agree its not pretty!

I think you Dad is being generous (and maybe your music teacher too). You defo have some pitch issues. (its not awful you understand, but its not accurate either).

What do your band members think? Can they help you by writing tuneful melody lines? Or do they just leave that for you to do? It's really the songwriter's job to write and teach you the melody!

Suggest you do some ear training (there's lots of stuff available on-line for free) to start with.

You have the makings of a good voice - just need to practice, practice, practice and yes, defo get a few lessons.

The song in the demo has one of the most monotonic "tunes" I have heard a low while - my partner just came in and made the same comment!

P.

karstaag666 01-18-2013 03:04 PM

I actually think that voice is workable and could suit the music really well.

Maybe get more feeling for the song? The style is good but I just dont feel what you are singing.

The verses suit the monotone style, maybe a little bit more emotion like said before.
The chorus and possibly pre-chorus sound like they could be done in a Nirvana/Seether way vocally. High velocity vocals. Might need training/ practice for that though?

The Demo itself though doesn't help your vocals. The vocals sit way too high in the mix and stand out from the track rather than blend in to sit ontop. That sort of thing makes the difference between hearing this voice that sounds awkward ontop of the music and hearing a song that sounds amazing.

Another thought that came to my head is maybe you lack confidence. Being a frontman has a lot to do with confidence.

Edit: But don't you dare be disheartened! You have a lot of potential in that voice in my opinion!

Second Edit: Seether Example: Listen to the Pre-Chorus and the Chorus

Your voice is stylistically like this on your verses:

hell you could even mix a Maralyn manson spoken word style of singing with the seether choruses... Would make an interesting mix

masterofpuppies 01-18-2013 03:10 PM

I think you need to pick your song more carefully. Your voice would suit, like the guy above said, Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Pulp, bands with those sort of vocals. The problem with the Oasis song is that you you sing it an octave lower than Liam. You need to pick songs that are in your range.

karstaag666 01-18-2013 03:12 PM

Sorry didn't even know it was a Oasis cover.. I don't listen to that band.

Still what I said above applies! Your voice would be perfect for it.

Knackworst1 01-18-2013 03:27 PM

Well yeah, it's an oasis cover (supersonic live in wembley 2000)
I know that this song isn't really the best for my voice too, but it's just a powerfull song...
however what about these songs:

dEUS - Instant street

QOSA - Make it wit chu

Do you think any good will come if I focus more on these ones? (planning on performing these two aswell live)

Nero Galon 01-18-2013 03:29 PM

Ooo Supersonic :D

Yeah you have lots of room for improvement. Your voice sounds like it would suit stuff from The Smiths/Morrissey etc.

Perhaps you need to work your own style... But yeah keep at it.

karstaag666 01-18-2013 03:42 PM

Whatever song you do, you gotta do it to your own voice and not try and be the person who originally sang the song.

Your voice isn't like a guitar where you can emulate another person's sound.

A vocal trainer can help you achieve this,

Knackworst1 01-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
Ooo Supersonic :D

Yeah you have lots of room for improvement. Your voice sounds like it would suit stuff from The Smiths/Morrissey etc.

Perhaps you need to work your own style... But yeah keep at it.

So what should be improved? tone, clearance,... ?

And in the meantime, I just sing those songs as much as possible and record it to hear what's good and what not?

karstaag666 01-18-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackworst1
So what should be improved? tone, clearance,... ?

And in the meantime, I just sing those songs as much as possible and record it to hear what's good and what not?

Confidence, pitch slightly. Try singing an octave higher or going into your 2nd set of vocal chords.
Tone isnt the same as pitch. Tone is the sound of your voice, pitch is the notes you are singing. Imo your tone is fine and will improve when you get the confidence.

Knackworst1 01-18-2013 04:06 PM

Ok, thanks so I guess I'll just sing the songs everyday with as much confidence as possible, do you have any tips on creating that confidence while singing?

karstaag666 01-18-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, thanks so I guess I'll just sing the songs everyday with as much confidence as possible, do you have any tips on creating that confidence while singing?

Sing more.

If you can generate the guts just to get up in a crowded silent room and start singing then you make everything else you do seem like childs play. Believe in yourself, get yourself into the music with energy. If the song is about anger then get angry, if the song is about heartache then crack up. Singing is acting in its own unique form.

Nero Galon 01-18-2013 05:19 PM

I don't really know much at all about tone and pitch or whatever but karstaag is totally right when he says be confident. It sounded like you were holding back your voice. With experience though you'll discover your voice and let it flow free.

Hell, have you heard what Freddie Mercury first sounded like?

Knackworst1 01-18-2013 05:42 PM

Ok I guess I can work to that confidence, so after all my pitch and tone are good enough to not go down in front of my school? (after more confidence and maybe a few private lessons)

karstaag666 01-18-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:
Ok I guess I can work to that confidence, so after all my pitch and tone are good enough to not go down in front of my school? (after more confidence and maybe a few private lessons)

Nah do the gig, its only a school concert. It's good practice experience infront of an audience. The more you do it, the more confidence you gain.

My singer back in my school days sounded like a dying goose. You will be fine :P

Andalus 01-23-2013 06:58 PM

You got the damn lyrics wrong, numpty. That is a cardinal sin and you shall rot in hell for eternity for this crime against the gods.

Anyway, you need to find a different song to sing. Your voice just doesn't suit Oasis, admittedly I did turn it off when you said "I got her autograph" in the first verse (that line is in the second verse) so I didn't hear the chorus, but man it's in the wrong key for you. If you're going to do the song change the key.

Some of The Verve might suit your voice really well.

ouchies 01-24-2013 02:57 AM

You need to learn how to mix your head voice with your chest voice. That will make your voice more marketable. Try and feel the resonance in the mask.

Knackworst1 01-26-2013 09:19 AM

Well I don't need to sound like a professional, just need to sound reasonable...

TheHydra 01-30-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
I don't really know much at all about tone and pitch or whatever but karstaag is totally right when he says be confident. It sounded like you were holding back your voice. With experience though you'll discover your voice and let it flow free.

Hell, have you heard what Freddie Mercury first sounded like?

I would be interested to hear that. Are there early recordings of him?

Knackworst1 02-13-2013 10:02 AM

Ok so I posted a new link, please re-review and tell me what's wrong this time :/
Thanks in advance