UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Strap locks vs Locking Straps (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583555)

MeTAL SOLDIER 01-18-2013 08:30 PM

Strap locks vs Locking Straps

How do you like to keep your instrument locked to your strap?

witch of these methods you prefer and why?

Robbgnarly 01-18-2013 08:33 PM

Straplocks
I use Schaller and Dunlop I like both. And I use Leather straps except for my G-400 it has a Seatbelt strap

racertj5 01-18-2013 08:53 PM

I use a set of rubber washers.

Eppicurt 01-18-2013 08:55 PM

Glue.

MeTAL SOLDIER 01-18-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
I use a set of rubber washers.

How???

FatalGear41 01-18-2013 09:04 PM

Straplocks, hands down. The only locking strap I ever tried was made by DiMarzio, and while it worked, it was so thin that the edge of the strap bit into my neck. I prefer the Schaller locks, but I have Dunlop disc locks on a few guitars and basses that work just fine.

racertj5 01-18-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTAL SOLDIER
How???

Easy, put the strap on the button and stretch the washer over it.

UnmagicMushroom 01-19-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racertj5
Easy, put the strap on the button and stretch the washer over it.

I do this too, except I unscrew the strap button first so I don't have to stretch the material and I use metal washers. Never had a strap fall off ever.

mmolteratx 01-19-2013 03:03 AM

I just use oversized strap pegs.

Blktiger0 01-19-2013 04:24 AM

I use Schallers exclusively. When I got my first set, I had done an ass load of research, read tons of reviews, and asked everyone's opinion that I came in contact with, and anyone that did prefer another type said that they liked Schaller too, they just used the other ones, usually for reasons like how they operated to come on/off or because of price/availability.

In the end, I got the Schallers, and they've worked perfectly for me for years. After getting them on two of my guitars, when I got my most recent one, I met with the guy (it was a used deal) at Guitar Center specifically so that I could but a set of Schallers and strings in the same trip :haha:

The nice thing about using them on all of my guiatars is that our straps are interchangable, so if I forget one strap or it breaks (somehow?) or something along those lines, I have backups that will lock onto my guitar. However, with Schallers, even if you only have a regular strap without the locks on it, they operate as regular strap buttons, too.

If I was really set on keeping my strap on my guitar, I would probably just replace the strap buttons with a Screw Eye and use a Carabiner to hold the strap on. If I was getting really paranoid, I wouldn't use a strap, but instead a chain. :haha:

Cathbard 01-19-2013 04:31 AM

I'm a Schaller man myself. Here's the thing. If you find a really nice strap that you must have (and a good strap does make a difference) all you do is whip the clips off the old strap, screw 'em onto the new strap and you're off and running.
You never know what sort of strap you may run into. I have a hand made 3" two ply leather strap on my Yammy SG, which is quite a heavy guitar, and it's fantastic. I am carrying an old motorbike injury to my left shoulder so I have to watch it. A good strap really does make a difference when it comes to fatigue. Even if you are uninjured, it matters.

MeTAL SOLDIER 01-19-2013 12:27 PM

Is it hard to install schallers?

Robbgnarly 01-19-2013 12:55 PM

no you un screw the old srap-buttons and replace them with the Schaller ones, All you need is a phillips head screwdriver

H4T3BR33D3R 01-19-2013 01:01 PM

I use Schallers personally. I used to use the cheaper plastic ones but they break all the damn time.

Deadpool_25 01-19-2013 01:17 PM

Schaller Straplocks

ihartfood 01-19-2013 02:00 PM

is there a difference between dunlop and schaller?
i've always used dunlop because they were the first thing I saw

Robbgnarly 01-19-2013 02:03 PM

yes dunlop strap locks are inserted into the button part and is held in by ball berrings, schallers have a U that slides around the button and a spring loaded shaft keeps it in place

ikey_ 01-19-2013 03:19 PM

i would say strap locks and a nice strap allow a more refined setup, as most locking strap i see are plastic and nylon.

in terms of function they both do their job well. friends locking strap holds well and required no guitar modification....which is what he wanted.

DeathByDestroyr 01-19-2013 03:44 PM

I don't even play guitar.

Blktiger0 01-19-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
no you un screw the old srap-buttons and replace them with the Schaller ones, All you need is a phillips head screwdriver

I would advise having a crescent wrench as well. I like to tighten the hell out of the piece that goes on the strap, as the nut can come loose after a while if it goes unchecked. If you tighten it nice and snug the first time, though, it'll stay on forever. I actually used pliers AND a wrench.

Basically with Schallers, you replace the strap button, which just involves unscrewing the old buttons and putting the Schaller ones on. Depending on your guitar, you MIGHT have to "fill" the old screw hole with toothpicks and some wood glue, if your guitar has larger screws. Alternatively, you can drill out the buttons and use the original screws, but I wouldn't advise that one. It works fine, and that's what I did with my Les Paul, but the filler method is the way to go.

Then, you just use a wrench and tighten the locking parts onto your strap. You can finger-tighten them, but I advise using a wrench and pliers.

Overall, they're pretty painless.