UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Alesis Quadraverb for Guitar? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583572)

IronMaiden76 01-18-2013 10:06 PM

Alesis Quadraverb for Guitar?

I know Cathbard uses one. What is it? I have a line on one from my uncle. Should I get it?

T7E 01-18-2013 10:09 PM

Yeah cath always recommends the shit out of them, as did my music teacher.
apparently they get a little noisy but i could be wrong.
cant hurt to try, the going price on ebay is like $60 is from memory so if you are paying dont pay much more than that. maybe up to $90 if its a good one

IronMaiden76 01-18-2013 10:13 PM

If it gets noisy I'll smack it in the face with my noise gate ;) I'm guessing it's a modulation/reverb/delay unit?

gregs1020 01-18-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden76
I'm guessing it's a modulation/reverb/delay unit?

yes

IronMaiden76 01-18-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
yes

Cool. Exactly what I wanted lol

Cathbard 01-19-2013 02:34 AM

They only get noisy if you try to run them at too low of an input signal. If you run them in the loop they are no noisier than anything else. They are a piece of studio gear so they like to see line level.
If you really want to know all about them, go to the Alesis site and download the manual. The manual is really good.

Edit. Get yourself a MIDI controller for it. Their MIDI implementation is as good as it gets. You can target pretty much anything and anything on a Quaddy is everything. They are tweakable more than almost anything out there. Pretty much every parameter used to make a sound is editable - and accessable via MIDI.

Tremolo Bum 01-19-2013 03:44 AM

How would a Quadraverb stack up against something like a g major 2 for mod/delay/reverb? I don't really use a whole lot of effects so if this is a more cost effective option for rack gear I may look into it. I want to eventually get a rack rig for gigs and then use my pedals and everything at else for at home playing.

Cathbard 01-19-2013 04:24 AM

I am yet to hear a reverb or a digital chorus as lush as a Quadraverb. I've been using one since they were first released and have no intention of upgrading it based on what else is out there.

jukejointjohnny 01-19-2013 11:14 AM

Cathbard, I'm already using a Yamaha SPX 90 for some reverse gate reverb effects (that's pretty much all I use it for at the moment), do you have any experience of how a Quadraverb would stack up against this unit? I know it does quite a few sounds the SPX doesn't, was thinking of running them both in rack setup, but I don't want two units that have all the same sounds.

IronMaiden76 01-19-2013 01:44 PM

I'm not seeing it in the manual (I skimmed it) but can I have different presets from the Quadraverb using different channels on the amp? you know... like a clean/dry preset one and a dirty/delay preset 2?

Cathbard 01-19-2013 11:43 PM

I've never used a Yamaha SPX 90.

The Quadraverb cannot switch the amp. I use a MIDI controller with relay outputs to do that (in my case a GP-8). If you buy, say a Behringer MIDI controller then it does the amp channel switching while simultaneously selecting the Quaddy patch to go with it.
You just have to embrace MIDI and select the correct devices to go with it. You are entering a new world and need to design your rig accordingly. It is worth the effort.

Tremolo Bum 01-20-2013 12:11 AM

Now that I have my home rig done, I'm planning to eventually put together a rack rig for shows.

I'm going to get a footcontroller, rack tuner, a mod/delay unit, and a GCX switcher. I already have a power conditioner. I'm definitely going to look into these since the only effects I really use are chorus and delay when I play live.

Cathbard 01-20-2013 12:13 AM

The chorus and delay on a Quaddy are superb. No tap tempo though, if that matters.
Quadraverbs are stoopidly cheap on ebay for what you are getting. I know of no other unit that will give you the same bang for buck.

IronMaiden76 01-20-2013 10:36 AM

Would the Behringer FCB1010 work?

Cathbard 01-20-2013 11:31 AM

Yes. It has two relay outputs so you can simulate up to two footswitches for the amp and of course MIDI for the Quaddy.

IronMaiden76 01-20-2013 02:29 PM

Ok cool. So different patches could have different channels within the preset? You know what I'm saying...

Cathbard 01-20-2013 02:33 PM

Yeah. The relay output's state is programmed per program/patch/preset. Change patch, change channel (or not).

IronMaiden76 01-20-2013 02:42 PM

Oh ok, that's really freaking cool. I'm pretty excited for it actually

Cathbard 01-20-2013 02:47 PM

And next you can do what I do if you like. Stick another MIDI device with a programmable output level in front of the amp, quadraverb in the loop.
Then you can program the device in front to control how hard you are hitting the front of the amp (ie boost/cut) and the Quaddy in the loop as a programmable master volume. You now have total control over the gain structure of your amp. Add in amp channel switching and you have more versatility than you ever thought possible. ;)

IronMaiden76 01-20-2013 03:31 PM

Here, I'll tell you my grand secret plan ;) I was gonna have the guitar signal go through my wah. Then to the rack, where I'll have my SD-1 on all the time. Like velcroed to the inside of the back of the rack or something. From there I wanted it to go into my tuner, then into a gate, then into the front end. In the rack I want an EQ followed by the Quadraverb, then the gate cuz it's stereo :D from the back of the amp and the Quadraverb to the Behringer FCB1010

EDIT: If I get a rack wah I'd use one expression pedal as such. I'd use the other one as a volume pedal. That'd be to mute to tune. Does the Quadraverb have a volume control? meaning can I make one patch a rhythm one and the rest clean or lead?