UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   NGD: Fluorescent Ibanez (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583625)

[Azrael] 01-19-2013 10:18 AM

NGD: Fluorescent Ibanez

So I got this with some money off in a January sale. It's a lot brighter than the pictures looked on the internet! It was either this colour or bright pink. I liked both, but the hardware I thought looked better with the yellow. It's an Ibanez RG1XXV, 25th anniversary model.

It has an American Basswood body, which isn't particularly heavy. It has a 5 piece maple/walnut 'wizard premium' neck, which is nice and slim and pretty fast, and some pretty badass looking shark fin inlays in yellow. The neck plays really well, fretting is a doddle. I think I need to adjust the action slightly, it's a little low compared to other guitars that I own, and is lower than I'm used to. I'll probably get it set up properly in a couple of weeks after I've finished being unable to put it down.

It has 2 DiMarzio humbuckers and 1 singlecoil. The humbuckers sound mean, I'm not really a singlecoil guy so I haven't used that very much. I like having the pickup switch in the second position from the top for cleans though, which I think uses the middle pickup as well as the neck.

The bridge is an 'Edge Zero II' tremolo. It's been pretty solid so far, though I haven't really given it any real abuse to see how it handles it. I have a floyd rose on one of my other guitars, so I'll be able to have a face off and see which I prefer. My other Ibanez has a hardtail.

While it's not really that important, it came with a really decent case, which you'd expect for a guitar of this price, and surprisingly with a little multi-tool, which is most useful- has all the screwdriver sizes and allen keys that you'll need to do anything with the guitar for, and a little ruler on it for (I'm guessing) measuring the action.

All in all, it's a good buy that I'm happy with so far- haven't really had it for long enough to say any more than that!

P.s
The ruler is sharp

hminh87 01-19-2013 11:04 AM

My eyes hurt looking at the picture... in a good way.

Woffelz 01-19-2013 12:21 PM

Mmmmm yellow Ibanez I wanna eat it! HNGD!

broken-frets 01-19-2013 12:50 PM

Laney amps and an expensive ibanez?
are you Paul Gilbert?

W4RP1G 01-19-2013 01:06 PM

Love it! You should order an HH pickguard and get rid of that middle pickup if you don't like it. That's what I did, and I'm glad I did it.

T00DEEPBLUE 01-19-2013 01:08 PM

:cheers:

I'd love one of these.

BlackIce87 01-20-2013 03:23 AM

I haven't got to play one of these yet. Although, I did get my hands on the new Premium Jem 70V and I wasn't impressed. I heard the premiums are hit and miss though. Sounds like you got a good one. HNGD!

Viban 01-20-2013 04:04 AM

I would like to try one of these some time. I went to try one at my local GC once and the intonation was way off, like unplayably off.

SYLrules88 01-20-2013 04:09 AM

ah its gorgeous! id sure love a flourescent ibby myself but i dont think they make those with hard tails. congrats!

tappooh 01-20-2013 05:56 AM

Nice guitar, I bought the pink RG1XXV about one year ago and it feels really good. Didnt really like that yellow and the fact that it doesnt even match pick up/knobs colour irritates me. I had an issue with the single coil tho, the magnets used to pull the lowest strings towards the pick up completely ****ing up the intonation. If I remember correctly it happened on like fret 16-24 on the low E and A strings, you should check it and make sure you dont have the same issue.

Sledgeman 01-20-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce87
I haven't got to play one of these yet. Although, I did get my hands on the new Premium Jem 70V and I wasn't impressed. I heard the premiums are hit and miss though. Sounds like you got a good one. HNGD!

Factory setup on premiums are really bad most of the time. I have a Jem70V and it was really really bad from factory. Felt like total crap. Now it's setup perfectly and I rather play that than my prestiges.

[Azrael] 01-20-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappooh
Nice guitar, I bought the pink RG1XXV about one year ago and it feels really good. Didnt really like that yellow and the fact that it doesnt even match pick up/knobs colour irritates me. I had an issue with the single coil tho, the magnets used to pull the lowest strings towards the pick up completely ****ing up the intonation. If I remember correctly it happened on like fret 16-24 on the low E and A strings, you should check it and make sure you dont have the same issue.

Tried this, it hasn't had anything like that up with it. Must be luck I guess lol if there's been a few with bad intonation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Love it! You should order an HH pickguard and get rid of that middle pickup if you don't like it. That's what I did, and I'm glad I did it.

Strongly considering this, one thing that I have noticed as well as not really using it is that sometimes when I'm palm muting I catch the pick on the middle pickup, it sits just where I play, which I'm not used to (other guitars have just 2 humbuckers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken-frets
Laney amps and an expensive ibanez?
are you Paul Gilbert?

Ha! I wish lol XD

jmag 01-20-2013 03:28 PM

That thing's more blinding than a flashbang!

HNGD! I tried one of those unplugged at it played pretty sweet.

Huge Guy 01-20-2013 08:52 PM

Got blinded but looks awesome!

dannyalcatraz 01-20-2013 09:23 PM

If hypnotoads played guitars, this is the guitar they would prefer to play.

HNGD!

Kyleisthename 01-20-2013 11:08 PM

Does this guitar have the titanium reinforcements in the neck>?

[Azrael] 01-21-2013 02:48 PM

Ummm, I don't know about that one. I haven't seen that it has so probably not?

Sledgeman 01-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleisthename
Does this guitar have the titanium reinforcements in the neck>?

According to Ibanez website it has. I think all Premiums do.