UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Any one else feel the need to always experiment? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583647)

JimmyCraig 01-19-2013 01:25 PM

Any one else feel the need to always experiment?

In band situations I can't compose more than 2 songs that sound the same, I always need to do something different. Blues to metal to country to space rock, I have to experiment. Anyone else get bored in easy and drawn to doing many different things?

supersac 01-19-2013 02:26 PM

yep it becomes a problem with the band who want to have a "sound" whatever the **** that means
it stops having my songs finished before the rest of the members

Powersurge213 01-19-2013 02:43 PM

Just listen to someone like Neil Young- He has the same thing, never wants two albums to sound exactly the same.
I think its a great thing if you can pull it off

Aays 01-19-2013 02:59 PM

I felt like things always needed to be different, and would try to avoid this somewhat, but getting into Devin Townsend kind of convinced me that messing with many different styles is nothing to be afraid of. The dude's DTP albums are radically different but are all collections of great music nonetheless.

If anything, remember that you are writing these songs, and whether they're folk rock or technical shit in 13/16 time, they're springing from the same mind and are still linked just because of how you think musically often carries across from one song to another.

Danjo's Guitar 01-19-2013 03:37 PM

I like literally experimenting with making sounds with my guitar/amp. I spend a lot of time messing with which pickup I'm using, settings on tone and volume, EQ, gain, every song I play is a little different. In fact a lot of times I find a sound and then write a song for it. I'm finding the best songs on my clean channel though, so that makes all the stuff I write at least a bit similar. Well at least the stuff I write that way.

I also have some really diverse stuff though. Like I wrote a bunch of metal-core-ish songs longer ago, then I have 2 SRV type songs, 2 or three Chili Peppers like songs, 1 song that could almost be kinda Ska, and like 4 of my "experimental" solo project sounding songs.

Mathedes 01-19-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCraig
In band situations I can't compose more than 2 songs that sound the same, I always need to do something different. Blues to metal to country to space rock, I have to experiment. Anyone else get bored in easy and drawn to doing many different things?

I don't really get bored, because I'm usually able to find a way to tie it all together into a style/concept I want to play. I was able to experiment with ideas from thrash and Muse-like rock for a single song and it turned out to be one of my coolest creations thus far.

Play any kind of genre you want at a time, create a concept for your sound, and go back and tweak these songs to meet your needs. You'll be surprised how they can evolve.

Usernames sucks 01-19-2013 04:36 PM

Well it flows to me naturally. I play in a metal band and write most music, but my taste dosnt start with metallica and end with megadeth. I listen to all music, often prog, fusion, classical and even electronic. 70% of the stuff i play on guitar is jazz. So when im going to write a metal/rock song for my band, every musical inspiration just flow together naturally to something new unknown, that im personally happy with. Thats the beauty of having a open music taste

LiquidSkies 01-20-2013 07:02 AM

Just do everything that's too outlandish for whatever the band is doing as a solo homerecording thing, problem solved :)

beer bear 01-20-2013 07:31 AM

Never be afraid or worried about experimenting. But remember to record or write down those experiments. Not all of them will be successful immediately. Mix and match the ideas and you'll start finding your own sound quickly, even if it is a diverse one.