UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Learning inversions based on CAGED or Triads?? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583900)

B&J 01-20-2013 07:41 PM

Learning inversions based on CAGED or Triads??

So here's this..

For the past weeks i have been working through a course called "Inversion Excursion" by Frank Vignola. The main idea of this course is to teach you a whole lot of chords in all the inversions, based on triads.

Now he starts of teaching you the triads, when i was watching this i immediately thought to myself.... those triads look pretty much like the CAGED system chords just smaller, but when you stack those triads you pretty much end up with your basic CAGED chords. So what did i do?

I took the chords he teaches in his video, and i translated them to fit within the CAGED system. And all those great chords really fit perfectly within those shapes. And i can use my good old CAGED chords as a template to create the extensions....

Now i came across some players who really insist on learning the triads and build chords from there, but i'm still like... whats the point of triads if i can do the same thing within the CAGED shapes? Is there anything wrong with my approach? Will it limit me, and if yes, in what way?

Its not like i am playing in "box shapes" or anything, i can play pretty free on the guitar, its just that i like some kind of template to work out of... This template could be a triad but there's a whole lot of triads compared to 5 CAGED shapes....

So gimme your pro's and con's...
Thanks

rockingamer2 01-20-2013 08:19 PM

CAGED is a neat way to get players to learn chord shapes and play them all over the fret board. But once you know enough music theory, specifically chord construction (triads, invervals, inversions, etc.), you can come up with your own voicings of chords without having to use the CAGED system. Eventually you won't need the template, but it's still there in case you need a quick reference.

I know I didn't directly answer your question, but those are my thoughts on the matter.

20Tigers 01-20-2013 08:22 PM

The CAGED system is just a method to help you learn the fretboard. It is perfectly natural that once you have spent time doing this that it will be easy to use this foundation When learning further information (such as triad inversions).

The goal is to learn inversions. If the CAGED system helps you do this quickly then you have found a way that works for you. -No problems.

The most important part is to learn how inversions are used to make music. Then practice putting inversions into actual musical scenarios.

Now learn how they work in music. That is the most useful aspect of knowing inversions - knowing how to use them in making music.

B&J 01-20-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
The CAGED system is just a method to help you learn the fretboard. It is perfectly natural that once you have spent time doing this that it will be easy to use this foundation When learning further information (such as triad inversions).

The goal is to learn inversions. If the CAGED system helps you do this quickly then you have found a way that works for you. -No problems.

The most important part is to learn how inversions are used to make music. Then practice putting inversions into actual musical scenarios.

Now learn how they work in music. That is the most useful aspect of knowing inversions - knowing how to use them in making music.

Well, before getting into using them i'd like to know if i in any way stop myself from progressing when i keep using the CAGED stuff. Sure i can come up with the same chord by using the triad, but that triad is within my CAGED chord, so why bother the triad, i just skip to the chord.... Ultimately we play the same chord, and to me, that seems to be the most important part. See i would love to learn my triads and those inversions, and learn the chords around them... They just wont be different too my CAGED versions, but if there is an advantage to them, i would be the first one to dive into it....

B&J 01-20-2013 09:07 PM

Put it in another way, can you get advanced by sticking to the CAGED system, or should i step out, learn my triads, learn to work with the notes on the guitar, stop crying about it and just do it... :P

20Tigers 01-20-2013 11:30 PM

The CAGED system is for learning the fretboard. It is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the guitar fretboard. This in depth understanding of the fretboard (whether through the CAGED methor or any other method) will help you with applying simple as well as the most advanced concepts of music theory to the guitar more quickly because you will be able to find the appropriate notes, chords, and scale degrees anywhere on the fretboard quickly and easily.

So yes by using the CAGED system can get very advanced. By learning the fretboard this way you will absolutely NOT be holding yourself to some elementary level of understanding. It is just a system to make learning the fretboard easier by breaking it down into smaller maneageable chunks.

For example:
In C major the CAGED system will show you where to find the a full C Major chord shape (in root position) in five different places on the fretboard. Further the CAGED system also shows you where the full scale. If you learn it properly then you will know each scale degree and each note name. Thus if you have to learn a triad in first inversion then you will know where the E's are and where the C major chord shape is anywhere on the fretboard so should quickly and easily be able to figure out how to construct a C major chord putting E in the bass.

Keep in mind that knowing the full chord shape doesn't mean you have to use the full chord shape. You might only use the E B and G strings of the chord shape which depending on the shape might result in different inversions of the chord.

Or you might use the full chord shape and add a string which was not otherwise used to create an inversion. For examplewhen playing a C major chord in second inversion you might play the D chord shape you might add the A string in to create the G you need in the bass...
e.g.
-

If you learn and drill The CAGED system throroughly the information will always be there in your mind. But you won't think about it as "the CAGED system" you will just know where to find your chords, notes, and scale degrees anywhere on the fretboard.

You can instead just learn the notes on the fretboard by using different approach. Personally I like this approach but they are all good as long as the end result is the same - knowledge and understanding of the fretboard.

Best of Luck.