UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Amp/mixer question (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583919)

thebestjoe 01-20-2013 09:41 PM

Amp/mixer question

Before I try it and break something I figure I post here and someone will know. My band members are tight on money and we'd like a PA system to use for our practices so our vocalist will actually be heard.

I was thinking about just purchasing a mixer and running our 2 guitar amp heads into the mixer along with the mic, and have it run through the two 4x12 guitar cabs that we have so we won't have to get speakers for that as well. There's my first concern, if that will work without blowing up speakers or anything else being damaged.

If that is possible, I plan on running the Direct output of my amp to the mixer. The other guitarist's head, however, doesn't have a DI, so is it possible to just run the effect loop send to the mixer? He doesn't use any pedals, and doesn't plan on it, so that isn't an issue.

If there are any issues, then can you please explain them rather than just saying "No."

Eppicurt 01-20-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
I was thinking about just purchasing a mixer and running our 2 guitar amp heads into the mixer along with the mic, and have it run through the two 4x12 guitar cabs that we have so we won't have to get speakers for that as well. There's my first concern, if that will work without blowing up speakers or anything else being damaged.

No. Things will blow and up die.

Get two more mics and put them on your 4x12's. You'll need two pairs of speakers for the PA itself. What's your budget?

jthm_guitarist 01-20-2013 10:00 PM

I assume you're talking about a powered mixer.

The main problem I see with that is your guitar amps must always be attached to a load, so running them without being plugged into a cab will ruin them.

thebestjoe 01-20-2013 10:05 PM

No budget per se, just a theoretical question. This just seemed like the most cost efficient thing to do. I don't wanna mic the amps just for practicing, only run them through the mixer if that would have worked. Thanks for the quick answer though :cheers:

Edit: Yeah, I'm talking about a powered mixer, but it seems like that's kinda irrelevant if the amps need a cab attached.

almudjk 01-20-2013 10:59 PM

FX loops don't send signal, you'll probably end up messing all your gear up. He should have a line out, if not, I'm not sure what to do

fly135 01-20-2013 11:19 PM

The vocals will sound like crap through a guitar cab. If your amps are not tube it can work.

And to almudik,.. there is a reason why one of the fx loop jacks is labeled "send". Can you guess what it does?

almudjk 01-20-2013 11:30 PM

It has never worked for me, yes a send is an output but don't you need to complete the loop?

Because unlike an output, an fx loop is either pre/post sound output, therefore it doesn't send an audio signal, it processes it, then sends signal to an audio out

Unless the amp states otherwise, i.e input/output. It's not worth it. Some amps do allow that function, but not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
The vocals will sound like crap through a guitar cab. If your amps are not tube it can work.

And to almudik,.. there is a reason why one of the fx loop jacks is labeled "send". Can you guess what it does?

Phil Starr 01-21-2013 01:54 PM

The critical thing is that vocals will sound awful through a guitar speaker even if you manage to set it up correctly.

There are some really cheap deals out there on second hand PA stuff that will do the trick but read this before you buy

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...arsal_room.html

Cheers

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 02:15 PM

get a small 1-2 XLR input mixer and 2 powered speakers.

fly135 01-21-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almudjk
Because unlike an output, an fx loop is either pre/post sound output, therefore it doesn't send an audio signal, it processes it, then sends signal to an audio out.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... but this is completely wrong. The FX Send outputs an audio signal. You do not need to feed it back to the FX return if you don't care about getting audio from the power amp section. You could even plug something else into the FX return and get audio from another device.

The FX represents the separation between the preamp and the power amp. There is nothing about processing the signal that is inherent in the loop itself. That is dependent on what if anything you put in it.

As further proof that audio comes out the FX send, people put pedals in the loop. And pedals deal with nothing but audio.