UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Music career and college (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1583957)

Musician_Cooter 01-21-2013 02:46 AM

Music career and college

So let's discuss, on a serious note, opinions and stories.
I'm in college now, and I only need 3 more classes to graduate.
The 3 classes aren't offered until August/September at the earliest.
I'm still pretty young, only 20.
I'm at a fork in the road now.
My parents are pushing me to stay in and get a second degree of some sort as a fall back plan. My main plan is to be an automotive technician.
However, my friends and family also support my music "career".
I've been in a band for a couple of years now, and got my name out in the local scene enough to where more serious bands, with professional attitudes, and touring intentions have been in contact with me.
I know that playing metalcore, and being a part of the core scene is super unlikely, or near impossible to make an living off of, and I've seen that over the years.
However, at a young age, I feel like, the longer I wait, the less my chances get, and the smaller my window of opportunity will become.
Touring is a once in a lifetime kind of deal.
I dont really have no obligations here except my motorcycle, and taking care of my grandpa. My family has seen me do my part, and will step up to help out around here if I ever took a route that furthered me musically. My friends and family all support me 110% to go onward with music. I've not had any luck meeting the right lady and I presume it isn't the right time for me right now.

Now in this thread, I want to hear cool tour stories, sacrifices you all have made to take your music career to the next level, and opinions of what you'd do in my situation. :)

necrosis1193 01-21-2013 02:49 AM

What exactly is your current degree?

Musician_Cooter 01-21-2013 02:52 AM

It will be a 2 year degree in automotive technology, ASE certified.
Currently, I just have my high school diploma,
But as stated above, I only need 3 classes for my associates.
And I forgot to mention, due to my income, I can use my financial aide for classes until I'm 24.

JustRooster 01-21-2013 03:45 AM

lol, your name is cooter.

Corgrash 01-21-2013 04:50 AM

You can earn a living doing metalcore so long as you generate other sources of income.

Do what you want to do.

bloodtrocuted93 01-21-2013 09:14 AM

Go for it if you want. May as well tour while you can, if thats something thats gonna happen. I don't know where you live and what the economy is like there, but a friend of mine has a similar degree and it's done him no good. The economy went to shit and few auto shops would hire, and those that did wanted experience, not a degree.

a_7_x 01-21-2013 09:24 AM

Speak to my man edmondo, he's a promoter/producer/metalcore extraordinaire. He'll put you on the right track :)

theogonia777 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician_Cooter
I know that playing metalcore

Ew

In your case, you've already got a good thing, so honestly you're better off just tinkering with people's cars for oodles of money than putting yourself out there for something that may or may not work. And the thing is, you may feel like "hey, I'd love to tour" but then you might try that lifestyle and hate it because it kind of sucks.

You're probably also going to make all of... next to nothing. So if you want to tour just for the sake of getting out to tour, then sure, do that while you still can. If you want to make a living touring, that's probably not so good, and you'll still need a real job anyway.

korinaflyingv 01-21-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Ew

In your case, you've already got a good thing, so honestly you're better off just tinkering with people's cars for oodles of money than putting yourself out there for something that may or may not work. And the thing is, you may feel like "hey, I'd love to tour" but then you might try that lifestyle and hate it because it kind of sucks.

You're probably also going to make all of... next to nothing. So if you want to tour just for the sake of getting out to tour, then sure, do that while you still can. If you want to make a living touring, that's probably not so good, and you'll still need a real job anyway.

+1

JustRooster 01-21-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
Ew

Especially for a genre that's on it's way out.

Kyleisthename 01-21-2013 11:26 AM

You have to realize that it takes money to tour.
If you have enough money for gas and food you could book a tour right now.

You should probably just start on getting ahead in your career so you can make more money faster, thus be able to tour sooner.

Even with a full time job you should be able to manage a band.

edmodo23 01-27-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_7_x
Speak to my man edmondo, he's a promoter/producer/metalcore extraordinaire. He'll put you on the right track :)

:confused: **edmodo

Hydra150 01-27-2013 10:29 PM

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...display.php?f=8

crazysam23_Atax 01-27-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician_Cooter
I know that playing metalcore, and being a part of the core scene is super unlikely, or near impossible to make an living off of, and I've seen that over the years.

That's because it sucks. Play real Metal, kid.

Musicforyou17 01-28-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

This. Thought there was a thread a bit ago with almost the same name as this one.