UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Brentwood Amps (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584015)

Charvel1995 01-21-2013 12:09 PM

Brentwood Amps

There's a Brentwood Amp Head on my local kijiji for $75, I need another amp like I need a hole in the head, but I figure for $75 ti's worht a look.

Anyone have any info about them? This amp says BRetnwood BR-02 on it, and it'd a 30 watt head.

Never heard of them before, but it looks pretty need, built in reverb and all. Very vintage looking. SHould I jump on it>?

EDIT: Heres a pic, the only one given

Darkflame 01-21-2013 12:51 PM

For 75 bucks, what could go wrong? Worst case scenario, it sounds bad and you can resell it for 75 bucks to the next you.

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 12:55 PM

Does the amp come with shag carpet?

ihartfood 01-21-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly

and a VW bus :haha:
yeah man. I'd get it.

Charvel1995 01-21-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
For 75 bucks, what could go wrong? Worst case scenario, it sounds bad and you can resell it for 75 bucks to the next you.

That's more or less what I had thought. Worst case scenario I can take it apart and learn about the inner workings of amplifiers.

Quote:

I wish. Although I do have a lava lamp at home.....

Quote:
and a VW bus :haha:
yeah man. I'd get it.

That'd be nice :haha:

I think I'm going to get it. It was either get a new guitar (which I need even LESS than a new amp) for $150, or save my money. But then I went to the used amp section on kijiji. This ad was super old and was basically me taking a stab in the dark hoping it was still up, and it is!

I'll post a NAD thread when i get it, if I do. It looks super vintage, and even though I play a lot of metal, it'd be good to have another amp. Though i can't find any info on this amp on the internet at all.

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 03:07 PM

tell them you'll give 'em $40 obviously no one wants it. I would not pay $75 for it.

Charvel1995 01-21-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
tell them you'll give 'em $40 obviously no one wants it. I would not pay $75 for it.

Shouldn't have said super old, I didn't look at the date, I looked at the page number. It
s been up for about 2 weeks, but it's waaaaaay back in terms of page number.

Got some more info on it too

Solid state (which is fine), I'm not too fussy on tube vs. solid state as long as it sounds good

Works fine

Made by Ahed - Fairly big Canadian company back in the day

2 Instrument inputs on the front

Footswitch input on the back (Doesn't have a FS, really hard to find)

Built in reverb - which is pretty cool, never had an amp with built in 'verb before.

Gumbi, are you sure it was made out of NY? Ahed was a Canadian Company, out of Scarborough Ontario

gumbilicious 01-21-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
Gumbi, are you sure it was made out of NY? Ahed was a Canadian Company, out of Scarborough Ontario

no.

i actually found about 3 amps called 'brentwoods' (supro, holland and some canadian amp). there was actually a company that was called 'brentwood', so i thought it was that. they had pics of the amps and they looked very similar.

so i kinda guessed.

Charvel1995 01-21-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
no.

i actually found about 3 amps called 'brentwoods' (supro, holland and some canadian amp). there was actually a company that was called 'brentwood', so i thought it was that. they had pics of the amps and they looked very similar.

so i kinda guessed.

Fair enough, an educated guess it was.

I think I have the Canadian one.

Could you link me to the ones you're talking about?

gumbilicious 01-21-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
Fair enough, an educated guess it was.

I think I have the Canadian one.

Could you link me to the ones you're talking about?

i was assuming the BR-02 was the model number and the producer was brentwood.

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar%20amp%20dating_b2.htm

just run a 'find' for brentwood on the page, it'll pop up

Charvel1995 01-21-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i was assuming the BR-02 was the model number and the producer was brentwood.

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar%20amp%20dating_b2.htm

just run a 'find' for brentwood on the page, it'll pop up

Thanks, gumb.

The manufacturer isn't a huge issue with me. If it sounds good that's all that matters.

Plus it's hella vintage

fireball grant 12-06-2013 11:30 AM

I bought this amp. It is made by Ahed. Canadian 30 watts solid state. Glad you did not buy it because now I have a back up head! To anyone that thinks these amps are junk you obviously have never heard one! I get compliments from people all the time about my tone! Guitar players that are playing through 1962 Fender Reverb amps tell me this! I play this through a birch cabinet that I built with two 8's in it! I play a basswood strat from china! These amps were modeled to sound like Fender & Gibson tube amps!!! Trust me they sound great! If anyone has one of these please let me know!

gumbilicious 12-06-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball grant
I bought this amp. It is made by Ahed. Canadian 30 watts solid state. Glad you did not buy it because now I have a back up head! To anyone that thinks these amps are junk you obviously have never heard one! I get compliments from people all the time about my tone! Guitar players that are playing through 1962 Fender Reverb amps tell me this! I play this through a birch cabinet that I built with two 8's in it! I play a basswood strat from china! These amps were modeled to sound like Fender & Gibson tube amps!!! Trust me they sound great! If anyone has one of these please let me know!

i hate to be all pedantic, but i don't think fender had an amp with reverb 'til '63 (brownface Vibroverb), blackface amps were the first series where it was popular to put reverb circuits in the amps. they did make a separate reverb unit '61 though.

glad you like your brentwood though.

Robbgnarly 12-06-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball grant

Good for you :shrug:

Thanks for bumping an old dead thread :facepalm: