UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Maxon od808 ? newbie question. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584113)

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:10 PM

Maxon od808 ? newbie question.

Hi all...One other question i have about the Maxon od808, and similar pedals.

I was just messing around with mine tonight, and just noticed that when the pedal is on, i noticed a significant drop in low end/ bass from the cab, and heard more mid/highs, Is that normal?..I was under the impression that the pedal is supposed to boost low end/overdrive?

Maybe i'm doing something wrong? I also have a boss NS-2 plugged in.
From the guitar, i have the od808 first, the ns-2 second, and running up to the face of the amp head. (peavey 6505+) IS that the correct way to have it?

Thanks in advance

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 10:14 PM

No pedals like the OD808,TS808,TS9 cut bass. That is why I use a bad Monkey OD, it has bass and trebel knobs not just a tone knob.

Ibanez does make the big bottom boost which adds bass maybe you want something like that or the Bad Monkey that has seprate bass controls.

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:25 PM

yeah, But what i'm saying is that it did in fact cut bass...Any idea what i might be doing wrong? Or would there maybe be something wrong wit the pedal?

joe_k 01-21-2013 10:32 PM

tubescreamers cut bass. that is how they magically tighten up the bass when using them to boost amps.

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
tubescreamers cut bass. that is how they magically tighten up the bass when using them to boost amps.

this

I think you missunderstood me I was saying that all TS type pedals cut bass unless they have bass knobs like the Bad Monkey or Hardwire CM-2 ;)

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:36 PM

So are most of thes pros that are using the 808 using it for more lead solos and that type of play? So mainly its not really even on unless they go in to a solo or somthing? Is that the main use for a pedal like this?

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
this

I think you missunderstood me I was saying that all TS type pedals cut bass unless they have bass knobs like the Bad Monkey or Hardwire CM-2 ;)

Ahhh...ok yeah, i didn't follow you on that. Thanks for clearing it up.

|Long| 01-21-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg31t
So are most of thes pros that are using the 808 using it for more lead solos and that type of play? So mainly its not really even on unless they go in to a solo or somthing? Is that the main use for a pedal like this?

Most people that use the TS style pedals use it for a boost and not high gained distortion. You don't have to play that way, but that's what people in the past have done.

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 10:41 PM

I almost always have my Bad Monkey on , but I do have a GFS Greenie (TS clone) that I use to boost solos some times.
And I use the GFS with my Peavey Windsor because that amp does not like the bad monkey at all, it actually gets quieter when the BM is on :shrug:

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
Most people that use the TS style pedals use it for a boost and not high gained distortion. You don't have to play that way, but that's what people in the past have done.

When you say boost, what do you mean by that?

joe_k 01-21-2013 10:47 PM

no, i would say just as many people use them for rhythm as they do for lead.

your amp has a bass knob doesn't it. you can't just bring something into your rig and not expect to leave everything the way it is. Play around and see if you can get it to work.

Why did you buy it? what were you expecting to use it for?

Cathbard 01-21-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:
this

What a difference a comma makes. ;)
Go back and read what you posted. You actually said "no tubescreamers cut bass"

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
What a difference a comma makes. ;)
Go back and read what you posted. You actually said "no tubescreamers cut bass"

Yeah I seen that when he questioned me :haha: damn grammar Nazi :D

Robbgnarly 01-21-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:
When you say boost, what do you mean by that?

put the volume maxed, no gain at all and put the tone knob where you like it and you are giving your signal a clean boost that pushes the amp harder. This adds compression, sustain and some gain. Dial your gain on the amp back just a little bit and use the maxon to get that extra little bit of gain.

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
no, i would say just as many people use them for rhythm as they do for lead.

your amp has a bass knob doesn't it. you can't just bring something into your rig and not expect to leave everything the way it is. Play around and see if you can get it to work.

Why did you buy it? what were you expecting to use it for?

Yeah, i'll have to mess with it some more when the wife's not trying to sleep!

I bought it because i was under the intention that it added drive/gain/low end to the rig...I'm pretty new to all of this.

I'm basically looking at what Adam D uses (Killswitch Engage) and trying to match up with his equipment to a certain extent. Saw that he uses the od808, so i bought it! hah.

tsg31t 01-21-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:
put the volume maxed, no gain at all and put the tone knob where you like it and you are giving your signal a clean boost that pushes the amp harder. This adds compression, sustain and some gain. Dial your gain on the amp back just a little bit and use the maxon to get that extra little bit of gain.

Right on, will give that a try. Thank you.

Cathbard 01-21-2013 11:00 PM

A lot of us mod our tubescreamers to stop them cutting bass. It's a single capacitor swap.

|Long| 01-21-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

I bought it because i was under the intention that it added drive/gain/low end to the rig...I'm pretty new to all of this.

I'm basically looking at what Adam D uses (Killswitch Engage) and trying to match up with his equipment to a certain extent. Saw that he uses the od808, so i bought it! hah.

Look @ just before 1:30 and you'll see he shows the difference to his distortion w/o the TS and with the TS.

If you were thinking that the TS would be getting you those heavy gains, well you're going the wrong direction.

Tremolo Bum 01-22-2013 12:48 AM

Just set your OD with the gain at 0, level at max, and tone at noon to start. Then EQ your amp how you like it. That's how most of the 6505+OD rigs are set up.

trashedlostfdup 01-22-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

next purchase splawn nitro. watch a video it may change your life. ;)

i think that one of killswitch guitarists used nitros live on tour in the last year or two.