UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Modern Examples of Politics in Music (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584160)

luvs2gro 01-22-2013 03:00 AM

Modern Examples of Politics in Music

All through out history music has reflected then current views and opinions shared among different groups of people. Artist would poor a cocktail of emotions into the music which represented what how they felt towards what was happening nation wide or even globally, and when you listen to it you can feel it to this day.

A lot of people I encounter on a day to day basis seem to be convinced that real music is dead, and when they think of radio they think of a harbor of pathetic anthems that is completely meaningless. Well I have never been into listening to the radio so I can't say so myself, I know for a fact that realness in music still exists

Which artists of today do you think will still be relevant in the next 50 to 60 years?

Do you listen to any modern bands or artists that reflect how you currently feel about the global political/economical situation or how you feel about your country or others politically?

The only examples I could think of are from Hip Hop, I would love to hear what you guys can come up with.

Thievery Corporation With Mr Lif

Thievery Corp has some pretty groovy songs and in this song they are collaborating with rapper Mr. Lif, who has some awesome messages in his songs.

This song is called moment of truth by gangstarr

Now assuming some of you don't respect rappers, know this: there is a difference between "rap music" and "hip hop" rap is the music that is all about pussy money weed. Hip hop is about real life and applies to everybody not just in the hood.

Moment of Truth by Gang Starr was the first true hip hop song I heard.

I know there are other genres that have the same sort of modern messages in them and this thread is for sharing that sort of music, no matter what genre as long as it has the same realness to it.

JustRooster 01-22-2013 03:02 AM

"**** you I won't do what you tell me."

whywefight 01-22-2013 03:03 AM

Man, are there any bands from now that'll be relevant sixty years from now? Even the 90's aren't very relevant anymore.

ErikLensherr 01-22-2013 03:03 AM

Actually "rap" is just a vocal style and "hip hop" is the genre and related subculture.

5thCircuitRider 01-22-2013 03:03 AM

whywefight 01-22-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thCircuitRider
show

shit, man, I actually agree with you for once :cheers:

great song

rockingamer2 01-22-2013 03:08 AM

Fisheth24 01-22-2013 03:09 AM

beefcake122 01-22-2013 03:09 AM

I hate rap/hip-hop but I listened

luvs2gro 01-22-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake122

Particular line in "moment of truth" that opened me up to it was:

Actions have reactions don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships people don't speak of"

Thanks for the replies every body

stratman_13 01-22-2013 03:13 AM

One of my favorite Immortal songs.

luvs2gro 01-22-2013 03:15 AM

Immortal Technique is bringing the heat so hard its almost chilling to listen to, I definitely consider him one of the modern artists putting out real music.

PoisonousNipple 01-22-2013 03:24 AM

Isn't it about time white middle to high class kids got off the hip-hop band wagon yet? The amount of times I've seen kids on sites like this try to school fellow posters about the credibility of hip-hop artists compared to rap artists (yes, you said that) is sickening. It's about time to realize you are not the authority and cannot dictate someone elses (in this case a high misunderstood and somewhat opressed group of people with not much else to get by with) culture. It's all but ruined through this line of thinking by outsiders. Worst yet, these same people don't even really support hip-hop, they are told what is "real hip-hop" (90s) and don't support NEW "real artists" unless they are white or they know them (nobody internet rappers). They all love Sage Francis which is bizarre but then again he is the white outcast they identify with in this case. It's ok, I know what you're going to say so don't bother typing how someone elses culture is for everybody, just buy the cds and accept what it is.

Mr Lif wont be remembered in 50 years time and Gangstarr arn't so modern.

:)

MinterMan22 01-22-2013 03:25 AM

^wat :confus:

Acϵ♠ 01-22-2013 03:26 AM

Muse definitely hasn't been doing anything related to politics lately

JohnnyGenzale 01-22-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonousNipple
Isn't it about time white middle to high class kids got off the hip-hop band wagon yet? The amount of times I've seen kids on sites like this try to school fellow posters about the credibility of hip-hop artists compared to rap artists (yes, you said that) is sickening. It's about time to realize you are not the authority and cannot dictate someone elses (in this case a high misunderstood and somewhat opressed group of people with not much else to get by with) culture. It's all but ruined through this line of thinking by outsiders. Worst yet, these same people don't even really support hip-hop, they are told what is "real hip-hop" (90s) and don't support NEW "real artists" unless they are white or they know them (nobody internet rappers). They all love Sage Francis which is bizarre but then again he is the white outcast they identify with in this case. It's ok, I know what you're going to say so don't bother typing how someone elses culture is for everybody, just buy the cds and accept what it is.

Mr Lif wont be remembered in 50 years time and Gangstarr arn't so modern.

:)

You can still like the music despite not being part of the "movement". Why should rap/hip hop be considered a political movement so much more than any other genre and how do you know these people declare they are part of that "movement"? What happened to liking music because you like it and find it close to your taste and appreciation?

Someone else's culture? Is music always about the culture and the way of life? That's a very soddy way of seeing it then.

Your posts are always ******ed. Stop posting.

manualex 01-22-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
Muse definitely hasn't been doing anything related to politics lately

The time it has come to destrooooooooy Your SUuuUUupremacYYY :haha:

willT08 01-22-2013 03:37 AM

No idea what the hell got in to Poisonous

aCloudConnected 01-22-2013 03:40 AM

i'd love to see more examples of modern music in politics

siteadreo 01-22-2013 03:42 AM