UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customizing (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Making a wireless pack sound better (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584165)

pyrofication 01-22-2013 04:28 AM

Making a wireless pack sound better

Hi
Recently acquired an audio technica UHF wireless and very quickly discovered the sound difference. Other than that it is a great easy to use wireless but I hate how thin it sounds. Makes my prs se (dimarzio d-activators bridge and neck) soundalike a cheap strat. So I experimented and put one of my long leads after the guitar and before the transmitter and it sounded so much better. So I figured the capacitance of the lead compensated and whatever to sound better. So I thought if I replaced the transmitter lead jack with a different one and added a capacitor across the extrodes, that would create the amount capacitance needed to sound better. I haven't tried it yet but I was wondering how to know what rating of picafarads would be appropriate with this? and is there any particular make of capacitor that would sound the best? So far I only have a couple of capacitors from guitar tone controls. So what rating and make of capacitors would be the best to use for this?

MrFlibble 01-22-2013 04:46 AM

I wouldn't bother with such a bizarre fix. If adding in a cable of decent length corrects your tone back to what you're used to, that would suggest to me that the wireless system is almost too accurate, and what you're used to hearing is a loss in treble and overall clarity. D Activator pickups are very harsh and bright-sounding pickups and it seems like now, with the wireless system, you're hearing what they really sound like, whereas with a cable you were hearing them restrained.

You would be better off either sticking different pots in the guitar—say, 300k instead of 500k—or using an EQ pedal to tweak your tone to lose a little treble. This way you're not doing anything which will effect all your gear always, you'll only be curbing the treble where it is needed. Modifying the transmitter will render that a permanent treble-cut for any guitar you ever use, which simply isn't very practical and is a needlessly roundabout way of solving the problem.

pyrofication 01-22-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I wouldn't bother with such a bizarre fix. If adding in a cable of decent length corrects your tone back to what you're used to, that would suggest to me that the wireless system is almost too accurate, and what you're used to hearing is a loss in treble and overall clarity. D Activator pickups are very harsh and bright-sounding pickups and it seems like now, with the wireless system, you're hearing what they really sound like, whereas with a cable you were hearing them restrained.

You would be better off either sticking different pots in the guitar—say, 300k instead of 500k—or using an EQ pedal to tweak your tone to lose a little treble. This way you're not doing anything which will effect all your gear always, you'll only be curbing the treble where it is needed. Modifying the transmitter will render that a permanent treble-cut for any guitar you ever use, which simply isn't very practical and is a needlessly roundabout way of solving the problem.

Changing the pots would be somewhat inconvenient if I ever want to use a lead again. I'm guessing getting an eq pedal would be best. Would the mxr 10 band be accurate enough or would more bands be better for more accuracy?

MrFlibble 01-22-2013 06:53 AM

10 band is more than enough. I myself used a 7-band for a long time.

LeviMan_2001 01-22-2013 02:28 PM

I've got a line 6 wireless system, it has a switch on it for 'cable tone' really interesting, as I do hear a jump in high end, although I like it.