UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   8 Input interface (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584534)

Afroboy267 01-24-2013 07:10 AM

8 Input interface

I'm looking to upgrade my interface. At the moment I am using a Tascam US-1800. It's alright but I want to get something with better preamps and better drivers.

My budget is upto 400 and I'm gonna need at least 8 inputs as it'll be for recording drums as well as guitars, bass and vocals. It'll need XLR and 1/4" Jack Inputs. I've got a firewire port in my Mac so firewre or USB 2.0 are fine. It'll also need MIDI In/Out.

The new Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 looks good but I am a bit skeptical with it being new and not tried and tested.

What do you recommend?

EDIT: What do people think of the Focusrite Saffire Pro-40?

chatterbox272 01-24-2013 07:33 AM

The Scarlett 18i20 or the Saffire Pro 40 would be perfect I think. The 18i20 is the replacement for the Pro 40 so I'm pretty sure it'll be almost identical and will work just as well, but being outdated (just) the Pro 40 is probably cheaper.

lockwolf 01-24-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroboy267
EDIT: What do people think of the Focusrite Saffire Pro-40?

As an owner of a Pro 40, well worth the price. The preamps are nice & clear and sound better than anything in its price range IMO. Focusrite is very good about keeping their products around well past the time they release a new one so drivers shouldn't be an issue. I think the original Saffire line got its last driver update in 2011 when it was originally released in 2005. If thats the standard, you've got at least 3 more years with the Pro 40.

As far as Pro 40 vs 18i20, its up to you. Its going to be the same unit either way. Ones going to be USB 2.0, the other is Firewire.

How was the US-1800? I wish you were around when we got in the 4 page argument over whether it was a good unit or not. Since you're talking about wanting better pres & better drivers, that follows the trends I was finding online of muddy preamps & shitty drivers.

Vendetta V 01-24-2013 12:33 PM

would you consider selling your current interface? how much would you want for it? and would you ship to armenia? :D

I know it's kinda off topic but couldn't help to ask :)

aand on topic now. I know you can't go wrong with Focusrite saffires but yeah as pointed out the scarlett is the replacement/new generation. If it was me I'd go with the the scarlett if I had the money :)

kyle62 01-24-2013 12:37 PM

The preamps aren't quite up to Focusrite quality, but don't rule out the Zoom R16 or R24. Having an interface that doubles as a standalone recorder is immensely useful if you do anything on location or want to branch out into live recording.
EDIT: If you've already got the Tascam US-1800, if anything the Zoom preamps will be a downgrade. Don't bother.

I sometimes see the Mackie Blackbird interfaces going cheap on Gumtree, they're not bad at all.