UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   boss gt8 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584573)

danyal92 01-24-2013 01:25 PM

boss gt8

im thinking of buying a boss gt8? has anyone used it? can i get a soloing marty friedman type sound from it? btw when playing riffs like master of puppets do i need compression or reverb?

jhymadesh 01-24-2013 02:27 PM

Nuno Bettencourt uses it for his delays, choruses etc. at his tour with rihanna so it should be usefull. Judging by my own experience with the GT-5, most distortion sounds won't be a problem. However, I found it most practical to get my overdrive/distortion from my amp or stompbox and use the Boss for the delay's and other FX-effects.

Tremolo Bum 01-24-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal92
im thinking of buying a boss gt8? has anyone used it? can i get a soloing marty friedman type sound from it? btw when playing riffs like master of puppets do i need compression or reverb?

I can't help you on the functionality of the GT8 because I have never had one. For stuff like Master of Puppets you do not want to use reverb and compression is not needed either. If you do use reverb use a very slight amount, else it will end up muddy. Especially playing live. If you're just goofing around at home then a slight bit of reverb can help imitate that "live" sound.

carnagereap666 01-24-2013 02:57 PM

I have it and I highly suggest it as an FX Pedal. You can get pretty much any sound you desire if you tweak it just right. Most of the presets are sub par, but when it comes to customizing and making your own tone, it redeems itself ten times over.

danyal92 01-24-2013 03:41 PM

i currently have a boss me 25. so u would think that it would be a viable upgrade? or should i just save and buy the pod hd 500?

carnagereap666 01-24-2013 04:09 PM

Well, I don't know the specs of the POD HD 500, but I'd say buy the GT-8. Buying it now would save you money in the long run, these things are getting older and the price may increase down the line as they cease production. If you don't like it, sell it online somewhere and at least make back the majority of the money. But you can do as you please.

danyal92 01-24-2013 06:33 PM

the gt8 is out of production isnt it? anyway have u used the gt10? i feel i need usb audio interface. btw did u make custom patches on the gt8 or did u use the stock patches?

Kyleisthename 01-24-2013 06:47 PM

I own a Gt-10 and if you're wanting a good metal sound I'd go with the POD HD.
It has less control over FX but it's amps sound way better.

diabolical 01-24-2013 06:53 PM

I have a GT-10. All the effects are good but distortion sounds are a bit lacking IMO. You can read a pretty good review here:

http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/...10/bossgt10.htm

fly135 01-24-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal92
i currently have a boss me 25. so u would think that it would be a viable upgrade? or should i just save and buy the pod hd 500?
You didn't give us a price. It's an older unit and don't think that you should have to give more than $150 in the US. The distortion tones are not considered the best. In fact you may find the ME-25 has better gain sounds. The FX are regarded as very good.

But the new trend in multifx is to treat all FX as individual stomps. Meaning that they can be placed in any order and duplicate types are allowed. Both the HD500 and Zoom G5 have this. Plus others in the Zoom and Line 6 line. Not the HD400 or 300. I made that mistake when I got a used 400, which luckily I was able to flip for even money.

If you can score the GT8 real cheap it's worth having just to try for a while. Buying used is great if you get a good deal.

diabolical 01-25-2013 01:26 AM

GT-100 is the current processor by Boss. The GT-10 can be assigned as individual stompboxes as well - not much choice as you can't have two of the same batch (say two reverbs) but it is quite flexible, probably worth getting used more than the new GT-100 as you can score a discount. The GT-8 is pretty much the same as the GT-10 minus the USB functionality. Pretty much sounds the same and has same amount of fx.

Offworld92 01-25-2013 03:34 AM

If you're going to use it straight up as a DSP, you should get a Line 6 POD HD instead. They have a much better (more realistic) amp model sound quality. Assuming your budget is kind of low, you can get the used HD300s for about $200.

diabolical 01-25-2013 05:21 PM

I actually like the Vox Valvetronix line a lot better than all the other modelers for going direct. More natural, realistic tones like what you'd get from a real amp.

I have a GT-10 but use Sansamp PSA-1 for the distortions and the GT-10 for everything else: midi switching, effects, volume control.

sg-rocker173 01-25-2013 05:39 PM

TS - I have a used GT-100 I'm looking to sell, asking about 350 for it if you're interested. It's in mint condition, only 3 months old and hardly used.

(Is it against the rules to say you have gear for sale anywhere but the classifieds forum???)