UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Basic synth setup (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584748)

Ahteh 01-25-2013 11:53 AM

Basic synth setup

Alright, I'm a decent guitar and piano player, but I know next to nothing about gear and recording. I want to start recording some very basic stuff at home for fun. I'm planning to get a mic or two for my amps and vocals, a recording interface, and a synth of some kind (already have bass/drums/guitar/regular piano).

I have no idea what to get or what I need. I guess the best way would be to have one that outputs straight into my recording interface, and get some cool software along with it? Or should I get a synth with lots of built-in options?

Basically I want a lot of freedom with effects and stuff, I'm into beach pop and that kinda thing so I'd like to have that sound available to me.

It's probably irrelevant but here's an example of what I'm feeling:

Anyway I'm pretty clueless, hopefully some of you aren't. I don't have too much money to spend, so keep that in mind!

cheers

chatterbox272 01-25-2013 12:19 PM

Unless you feel like shelling out a fortune on some fancy synth I'd get a MIDI keyboard and hook it up to a synth vst of some sort. Omnisphere is amazing but expensive. I like DSK Synthtopia which is free. And I'm sure there's great stuff between those extremes.

MaXiMuse 01-25-2013 01:06 PM

A real analog synthesizer sounds way warmer and 'better' than a VST/plug-in, but it'l save you a lot of money. If I were you I would begin with just Reaper and an audio-interface and then maybe a trip to what they call the bay of pirates. Look at Massive and Absynth, they probably have have what you are looking for.

lockwolf 01-25-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXiMuse
If I were you I would begin with just Reaper and an audio-interface and then maybe a trip to what they call the bay of pirates.

We don't condone piracy here. It's a bannable offense.

Anyways, an M-Audio Axiom 49 and Komplete 8 and you're set with everything you need. Sure, it's a little pricey but its worth it

Ahteh 01-25-2013 04:53 PM

Great answers guys. Looks like I'm going for a midi controller, I'm pretty strapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf

Anyways, an M-Audio Axiom 49 and Komplete 8 and you're set with everything you need. Sure, it's a little pricey but its worth it

Looked it up, seems great. I don't have a proper soundcard, can I plug the keyboard straight into the Saffire 6 that comes recommended in the recording interface thread?

lockwolf 01-25-2013 05:37 PM

The Axiom actually has a USB input so you don't need anything extra. I've had one about 6 months, it's a great keyboard. Also, since its got faders, it makes mixing sessions a lot easier.

FireHawk 01-25-2013 06:58 PM

Midi keyboard to start. You can get a keystation 61es dirt cheap (doesnt have any fancy knobs. Then purchase Arturi V Collection and boom everything you need.

Then start going vintage. I picked up an ESQ-1 for $300 has digital waveforms but analog filters and its a pretty awesome synth.

I got a CZ-1000 but its to digital but fun lol I about got a DX-7 for around 300 but CZ was cheaper and not as common.