UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Custom ESP? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584765)

irishmatt1992 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

Custom ESP?

Anyone know how to go about ordering a custom ESP guitar and what their usual pricing is for it.

Tom 1.0 01-25-2013 01:38 PM

Find your local dealer. Get a quote form through them and you will get a proper quote.

The ones on the ESP website are batshit crazy.

thetoastinator 01-25-2013 01:55 PM

Yeah, I tried to do it online once, all I wanted was an Eclipse with a Floyd with no inlays. They quoted on their site about $8,000

dannyalcatraz 01-25-2013 02:29 PM

$8k sounds right for that- they either have to use a luthier who is especially well trained in not drilling or carving wood, so that the wood remains pristine, or they have to do all the drilling & carving, and use special, space-age materials & tech to make it look pristine.

Nah...that's just bat shit crazy.

;)

irishmatt1992 01-25-2013 03:20 PM

DAMN! 8 grand????

Exterminatus 01-25-2013 03:24 PM

Don't but an ESP custom, especially with such simple specs. They have a large range of models so just pick one from it and save a load of cash... :)

Tom 1.0 01-25-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt1992
DAMN! 8 grand????

They don't cost that much. In reality your looking at about 4k+ for most realistic customs.

dannyalcatraz 01-25-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoastinator
Yeah, I tried to do it online once, all I wanted was an Eclipse with a Floyd with no inlays. They quoted on their site about $8,000

Just thinking about it: you could probably buy the LTD version and take it to a Luthier and say, "I want this (*point at whole guitar*), but without these on it (*point at specific points on guitar*), and I want these pickups in it (*pick a brand*), with these kinds of woods & hardware (*select woods & hardware*)."

...and the total for the 2 guitars would still come to less than $5K. Maybe less than $2500.

Then you sell the LTD.

dannyalcatraz 01-25-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
They don't cost that much. In reality your looking at about 4k+ for most realistic customs.

Some American luthiers start their full customs at $2000...

lemurflames 01-25-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoastinator

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/cs6

How about this? The floyd is an option!

Tom 1.0 01-25-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Some American luthiers start their full customs at $2000...

So what? Ken Parkers start at around $20k?

Your point is irrelevant. If somebody wanted a Custom Esp that's what they want.

ESPRZKSpieler 01-25-2013 03:53 PM

Yeah. $8000 is their quote. It'll end up being much less than that, especially for something so simple. They already make a FR Eclipse, so that should be easy. It'll be the best guitar you've ever played, that's for sure.

dannyalcatraz 01-25-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
So what? Ken Parkers start at around $20k?

Your point is irrelevant. If somebody wanted a Custom Esp that's what they want.

The point was not any more irrelevant than yours. Yes, if you want an ESP, you want an ESP. Branding is powerful, and has its benefits. If nothing else, it can have a powerful effect on resale value.

BUT, if you find the right luthier, you can have something functionally identical to that above-described ESP and visually identical to it but for lettering on the headstock for possibly as little as $2000-3000.

irishmatt1992 01-25-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPRZKSpieler
Yeah. $8000 is their quote. It'll end up being much less than that, especially for something so simple. They already make a FR Eclipse, so that should be easy. It'll be the best guitar you've ever played, that's for sure.

Basically just want an EX-307 only with all of the tuners on the top of the head stock instead of being split 4 on top/3 on bottom. Nothing special with binding or graphics or even a floyd rose.

Silver Hilton 01-25-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:
BUT, if you find the right luthier, you can have something functionally identical to that above-described ESP and visually identical to it but for lettering on the headstock for possibly as little as $2000-3000.

While I agree with your point, ESP's are available stock with very fine componentry for quite a bit less than $2000. I'm not sure what the benefit of going custom is here. I just got one with Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh tuners and a Floyd Rose bridge for $1400 brand new with case. I'd encourage the original poster to poke around a bit on ESP's site and see if they are already selling what he wants. Might be able to find a pretty good deal on a closeout with the new models coming.

BTW, the stock high end ESP's are pretty damn nice. Again, not sure why custom is needed here. Buy the stock version and do any parts swapping you need after the sale.

jeleopard 01-25-2013 05:43 PM

It'll cost your left arm and about a year and a half of your life. The wait line is long.

StrykVladzimsky 01-25-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:
Basically just want an EX-307 only with all of the tuners on the top of the head stock instead of being split 4 on top/3 on bottom. Nothing special with binding or graphics or even a floyd rose.

Waiit...How the heck would that work? You mean with like a V headstock, right?

Tom 1.0 01-25-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:
The point was not any more irrelevant than yours. Yes, if you want an ESP, you want an ESP. Branding is powerful, and has its benefits. If nothing else, it can have a powerful effect on resale value.

....apart from the part where I told him how much his quite would be in reality compared to the online quotation.

TS for what it is worth, we ordered somebody a custom Eclipse II, 6 string, Red flamed maple top and Seymour Duncan's and Gibson layout.

It only cost him an extra 300, so about $3200 (2k) and took 6 months to build.

That guitar was ****ing killer.

steven seagull 01-25-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

I doubt you'll get anything out of ESPs custom shop for less than 3 grand.

Tom 1.0 01-25-2013 06:20 PM

He wants an eclipse with a inline 6 headstock?

:haha: