UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Messed up head (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584905)

getmad24_7 01-26-2013 02:02 PM

Messed up head

Hey,
I have an older Ampeg Reverberocket head, and it's having some troubles. The signal to the cab cuts in and out, with it only staying on if I'm applying pressure, such as by looping the speaker cable about the cab once...anything so that it's just not idly hanging there. Is this an easy fix? What needs to be done?

Robbgnarly 01-26-2013 02:18 PM

sounds like the input is bad. unless you are confident in your soldering skills, take it to a tech.

Do not use your amp untill you get it fixed, you stand a good chance of blowing your OT when the sound cuts out.

Offworld92 01-26-2013 02:19 PM

How long is your speaker cable? It shouldn't be possible to "loop it around your cab once".

Robbgnarly 01-26-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
How long is your speaker cable? It shouldn't be possible to "loop it around your cab once".

well normally most use 3' speaker cables, but you could use a 100' and it will still work :shrug:

Offworld92 01-26-2013 05:40 PM

Yes, but a really long cable increases the chances it will be snagged on something or tripped over, and ultimately damaged, which could have something to do with the problem TS is having.

Robbgnarly 01-26-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, but a really long cable increases the chances it will be snagged on something or tripped over, and ultimately damaged, which could have something to do with the problem TS is having.

I see your point.

getmad24_7 01-26-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

I think maybe 15ft. I've tried a few different speaker cables and they all have the same problem. These cables work fine with other amps I have. I'm a fine solder, but I don't know much about amps.

Offworld92 01-27-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I see your point.

:cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmad24_7
I think maybe 15ft. I've tried a few different speaker cables and they all have the same problem. These cables work fine with other amps I have. I'm a fine solder, but I don't know much about amps.

Well most likely the jack on your amp or cab then. You should be able to identify which one is the culprit by messing around with it (though understandably you may not want to mess with that... it is dangerous).

In any case, I'd take it to a tech if you're not comfortable with solder. A simple jack replacement shouldn't cost much, unless the tech is a total dick.