UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Looking into getting a new amp, need some advice! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1584978)

ts0rock 01-26-2013 09:11 PM

Looking into getting a new amp, need some advice!

Hey guys and gals,

I just joined the forum and thought I'd write a thread and ask all you seasoned players and gear freaks about some amps I've been looking into.

For starters my primary guitar is an Epiphone 1966 G-400 with a custom neck pickup (made locally by a good friend of mine with Alnico 2 magnets wound to about 9-10k) and Dimazio Super Distortion (with an Alnico 2 magnet swap for the ceramic one that comes stock) Other than that, nothing too fancy.

As of late I have been listening to and playing heavier genres of music, which requires more gain. I have been doing some online shopping and came across a couple that really struck me eye. I currently only have a very cheap, crappy Squier amp. I had a Blackstar HT-20 head and 212 cab, but had to sell over the summer for financial reasons.

Well, we all know tax time is around the corner and I'd really like to invest in something new.

The amps that have caught my eye because of price rage, versatility, and build quality are:

-Blackstar HT-50 (Pretty close to the HT-20 with a few more buttons and what not, but a familiar tone none the less)

-Jet City JCA50 watt head (Made by Saldano, also heard they have tons of gain and sound good)

-Laney LH50 (I have played the 15 watt combo version and it has a really nice tone to it)

I know that speakers and guitar have as much to do with your overall tone as the head does, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys and see what you think!

I am of course open to all suggestions. Budget is under $800 for a head. Would like it to be between 30-50 watts so that gigging won't be a problem.

Thanks!

-TS

Dave_Mc 01-27-2013 10:56 AM

jet city

gerraguitar 01-27-2013 11:07 AM

^seconded

fastlanestoner 01-27-2013 03:25 PM

thirded haha. Jet City and Soldano make killer amps

ChrisBW 01-27-2013 03:30 PM

I have a JCA50. It's a beast especially with a boost. I use a Maxon OD808 or Fulltone Fulldrive 2 depending on how I feel at any given moment.

My only issue is my M13 decided to not like the line level FX loop after working perfectly fine for 3 months. Fixed it with the Ebtech line level shifter though.

Sounds amazing through both my Orange 2x12 and Mesa 4x12, both have V30s though... there's a used Jet City cab at my GC for a decent price I'm thinking about picking up. Will report back if I do.

Dave_Mc 01-27-2013 04:08 PM

^ not sure there's a whole heap of point... to my ears the stock JC speakers were like not as good v30s. fair enough if it's super-cheap and you have other speakers you want to put in there, i suppose. but if you're thinking of buying it to use the stock speakers... i probably wouldn't bother. unless it's so cheap you can move it on again and not lose anything, i guess.

ChrisBW 01-27-2013 04:16 PM

I've heard they're decent enough. I've just been itching for a new cab I have too many V30s lol. Considering that or possibly a Krankenstein cab.

Dave_Mc 01-27-2013 04:19 PM

yeah but i mean if you already have too many v30s buying another cab which basically has poor-man's-v30s probably isn't the best idea, lol.

not trying to talk you out of it or anything, i've bought a bunch of cabs and speakers recently so it's not like i'm guiltless or anything, lol. Just if you want a change buying something more different might be a better idea.

ChrisBW 01-27-2013 04:46 PM

The JCA eminences are based off V30s??? Did not know that, I guess I just assumed they were based on something else.

ts0rock 01-28-2013 02:46 AM

Wow thanks for the help, everyone! I will have to play one sometime soon.

It turns out there are a lot of other options out there, especially when it comes to used gear, which I'm thinking will be best to stay away from at this point.

However one other amp has caught my eye and its the Egnater Tweaker 40 watt head. I have played through it in the past and thought it had a lot of variety, but haven't really looked into them much.

Any of you folks played one? If so, how do they stack up to a JC?

I'm just looking for opinions mostly on build-quality, amp integrity, and over "bang for youe buck"

Tone is a perspective thing, and of course I'll be making my final decision once I can take my guitar and play on everything.. Just wanting tips on amps I should keep an eye out for.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Dave_Mc 01-28-2013 12:22 PM

^ haven't tried a tweaker, sorry :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBW
The JCA eminences are based off V30s??? Did not know that, I guess I just assumed they were based on something else.

i assume they're based on eminence v12s. but v12s are (loosely) based on v30s. they're kinda like less in-your-face v30s- they have more lower mids, and less of that ear-piercing uppermid peak that (unbroken-in) v30s have. they also have a smaller magnet so they're not just as loud. the jet city versions are rawer and less smooth and brighter, which sorta makes them sound more like (poor man's, unbroken-in) v30s again. lol.

That's just based on my very short period of trying the things, as i already had v12s that I was gonna swap the jet city speakers for so I just tried the jet city speakers for a few minutes to satisfy my curiosity (and the jet city speakers weren't broken-in either, obviously).

But yeah, if you have loads of v30s and want a change, i don't think i'd use the jet city speakers. as i said, fair enough if you can get the cab really cheap, no real harm done (and you can always swap the speakers).

ts0rock 02-19-2013 03:06 AM

For cabs, I am really interested in checking out www.avatarspeakers.com Pretty wide selection and with custom tolex and grill clothes, its worth the price. Also, a pretty wide variety of speaker choices!

As far as amps go, I am pretty convinced about going with Jet City. After all the recommendations on here I did some googling and the reviews are all pretty good across the board. I just don't know for sure if I'm going to get the 2-channel 20 watt (JCA22H) or the 50 watter. I'll keep you guys posted and will probably do a Youtube demo as well

ikey_ 02-19-2013 07:18 AM

you really dont need 50 watts just because. i would say watts is more about the music you play and HOW you play. 15 watts for example may be all you need for a gig.

Having recently purchased a avatar tradition 2x12, i can say it is well worth the price. great work, very sturdy. i can also say getting celestions at that price is insane, which overall gets you a nice cab for the money.

I opted to go with WGS which are about the same as avatars price, however taxes and 2x shipping made it more expensive. i do love my WGS speakers though....

if i was buying a cab, i would contact these guys:

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Finished_cabs.html

they do tolex, but that hand finished tung oil? i dont even know another cab maker willing to show off wood grain for these prices. insane. youk now its quality when you can see the joints and wood quality. i am very impressed.

keep in mind that the # of speakers, type of speakers, and design of cab ARE going to make an impact on your tone!