UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What would you have done different? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585249)

donegan_zealot 01-28-2013 12:35 PM

What would you have done different?

Looking back to when you first started to learn to play guitar up til now, what decisions do you regret?

- My parents told me they would pay for lessons if I wanted.. I declined saying it'd be cool to say I was self-taught. :(

- I saved up for months to buy a Line 6 30 watt Spyder

- Wish I never found out about tabs. They helped me stay interested but my ear is god awful to the point where my friend who has been playing for like 6 months figures out how to play songs by ear faster than I can.

- Practiced silly things... I can down pick faster than anyone I know and only know the major scale in two positions.

- Had a band offer to have me join and I said no cause I was already in one. That band now is recording, playing weekly shows, opened up for paramore (my biggest show was 200 people)

-I have 4 amps under $300, I never got around to getting a decent one.

Share!

theogonia777 01-28-2013 12:51 PM

I don't know. I can't really think of anything with guitar. I guess if I had played banjo with finger picks more often I wouldn't be so messy with them.

Two things in life that I would have done differently in general would be to have done band in school (my now I would have been playing sax or drums or whatever for 11 1/2 years) and also I would have liked to have started playing football when I was young. I could be on my way to being an NFL placekicker by now or something.

Or maybe I wouldn't have been good at those things.

cptcomet 01-28-2013 12:55 PM

Not being more interested it when I first started learning. I started at age 8 and never practised, really got into playing when I was about 16.

I'm pretty good now anyway, I can whip out a few Paul Gilbert licks, but just imagine what I could have done had I been more interested when I was younger.

H4T3BR33D3R 01-28-2013 12:57 PM

I got on this site when I just started playing guitar so it helped me avoid bad gear like the plague. I can't say the same for my friend though. He used to get ripped off so bad; A guitar store sold him a Line 6 Spider 1 for 800 bucks... :haha

the bartender 01-28-2013 12:57 PM

I regret nothing.

Linkerman 01-28-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
I regret nothing.

Ditto.

bondmorkret 01-28-2013 01:05 PM

The mistakes make the man, or the musician in this case.

bifteksupernova 01-28-2013 01:38 PM

not much i wish i had done different, but i wish i learned piano. ive been learning more music theory lately because of a university course im taking, but it seems like piano is a real gateway instrument and makes learning anything else much easier. and its just a cool instrument and would be fun to play around on

Morphogenesis26 01-28-2013 01:51 PM

I disagree about the tabs. Tabs are useful, but whether you decide to develop your ear or use them as a crutch is solely up to you. I'm part of the latter and I wish I didn't do that.

I regret whining about my body years back when I wasn't fat, now I am fat because I whined instead of trying to fix it. :(

I regret a few other things that I don't feel comfortable talking about on UG, so I won't.

adamgur96 01-28-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
I regret nothing.

+2

SGstriker 01-28-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
+2

:haha @ your avatar.

I regret not learning more diverse styles of music when i was first starting. And I regret not experimenting with tunings more often.

edmodo23 01-28-2013 02:21 PM

A band that is good enough to open for Paramore wanted you to play guitar for them, when you dont have an amp worth more than 300 bucks, and you learn from tabs. lolwut?

whywefight 01-28-2013 02:22 PM

^I don't think you understand what its like to start a band at first....
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegan_zealot
- Practiced silly things... I can down pick faster than anyone I know and only know the major scale in two positions.

I'm jealous, I suck at down picking.

Anyway, I bought a fantastic guit before a fantastic amp. That's it, really.

T00DEEPBLUE 01-28-2013 02:24 PM

I wish i studied music rather than engineering.

I wish i never did AS levels in school.

I wish i didn't waste so much money on hobbies that lost my interest.

I wish i started guitar at an earlier age.

Jon777 01-28-2013 02:30 PM

I also wish I took professional classes. I'd probably be much better by now, and also definitely wouldn't have developed all of my bad habits.

Geldin 01-28-2013 02:37 PM

-wish I'd taken lessons instead of self-teaching. I picked up some really bad habits (anchoring, for instance) and needed to spend a pretty significant amount of time fixing them.

-wish I'd done a little more research on gear before buying. I picked up a Spider III and a Vox-VT (good amp, but not designed for metal) without knowing much about either. Probably would have been better off with a Vyper and saved a few bucks to boot.

izzyvercetty 01-28-2013 02:38 PM

I don't know if I'd change a thing, cuz it was all worth it. I just wish I was into metal music earlier, so I could learn more techniques and be years ahead. But i'm happy with it all, I'm in a great band, I have my solo project going on. Yeah, couldn't ask for more :)

Dregen 01-28-2013 03:17 PM

wish i would've gotten a bass instead of an electric guitar.

donegan_zealot 01-28-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmodo23
A band that is good enough to open for Paramore wanted you to play guitar for them, when you dont have an amp worth more than 300 bucks, and you learn from tabs. lolwut?

That was like when everyone they were first starting out. It's not like they were where they are now when they asked me.

Mephaphil 01-28-2013 08:09 PM

Should have learned theory sooner.
Should have got into pedals sooner.
Should have been more structured earlier on in my journey.
Should have joined more bands when I was in school.