UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Verifying a Fender American (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585370)

gucio93 01-29-2013 01:26 AM

Verifying a Fender American

My friend is looking locally used for a new bass and sent me a few ads to help him decide. One that stood out to me was what the seller claims to be a 2008 Fender American Jazz. I was going to verify by asking him to send me a serial but he claims that there is no serial # as he replaced the neck in 2010 with one from the Fender Custom Shop in California. I'm just wondering if that is actually a plausible story and if there's any way to verify by markings on the body whether or not at least the body is an american. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

consecutive e 01-29-2013 04:23 AM

I'd be asking to see the Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock and the heal and base of the neck. Sounds like BS to me. Fender Custom Shop don't sell just necks.

Alucard817 01-29-2013 04:39 AM

To add to consecutive's comment if it were in fact a custom shop neck, there would be a serial on it since he would have had to of taken it from another Fender CS bass.

Personally I would pass on this one and find a better bass.

chatterbox272 01-29-2013 04:52 AM

Without a serial I'd be damned well expecting it to be cheap seeing as that makes it difficult to prove what it is.

badfish_lewis 01-29-2013 09:19 AM

If it sounds like BS it probably is BS

gucio93 01-29-2013 09:54 AM

Yeah I had figured as much, though with not being familiar with the dealings of the fender cs I thought it'd be wide to ask. Thanks a lot!

anarkee 01-29-2013 10:42 AM

I've done the Fender tour in Corona and you can't buy "parts" from Fender even from their wood vault. The reason I know this is my friend, who is a guitarist tried to buy a telecaster neck and they said they don't do that--they are religious about serial number matches on all the parts.

So I'd pass on that one big time.

Tostitos 01-29-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
they are religious about serial number matches on all the parts.

Maybe they're making up for the transition years and CBS. :p:

As it's been said already, that's a sketchy deal. Fender CS doesn't sell parts, only complete guitars and basses (that's even posted on their website). You can't even get an official Fender replacement neck (with a logo and serial number) without going through a whole song and dance with a dealer/service center that requires documentation and verification, and even then they're very strict about replacements.

The only way he could get a real CS neck would be to take it off a CS bass, or if someone else parted out a CS bass and sold him the neck. So if he's claiming he just ordered it as a replacement from Corona in 2010, it doesn't add up.

FatalGear41 01-29-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
I'd be asking to see the Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock and the heal and base of the neck. Sounds like BS to me. Fender Custom Shop don't sell just necks.

^This. In one of the great ironies of the world, Fender - who designed his instruments to have easily interchangeable parts - has never sold those parts to the general public. If you tell them you need a new neck for your Fender, they will likely tell you to buy a new instrument. Go figure.

This guy's explanation sounds more than a bit fishy. I'd pass on the instrument.