UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Original Recordings (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Metalcore/ Electronic demo - Searching For Solace (C4C) (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585377)

NelsonSFS 01-29-2013 02:48 AM

Metalcore/ Electronic demo - Searching For Solace (C4C)

Hey ive Been Practicing my mixing and wanted some ears to critic,
Here's a demo of My band's song Queen Of Hearts, King Of Nothing,
https://soundcloud.com/nelson-marti...-solace-queen-2
Let me know what you guys think, and if u like the demo or our sound, feel free to go like My band on facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/SearchingforSolaceOfficial
thanks in advance guys!
Edit: here's a lyric vid, i made some tweaks to the song, compare and lemme know what you guys think!

mattmakaha 01-29-2013 11:54 PM

I've never heard electronic sounds combined with metal like this, that's pretty mindblowing!!
Maybe I'm just behind the times, as today everyone is combining all kinds of music genres, but wow, that is pretty damn cool!!!

well, getting to the actual song, my favorite parts are the melodic parts, like at 1:08, and I love that change of pace electronic/techno breakdown at 2:33.
The mix sounds balanced to me, and clean. By the way, what kind of keyboard/synth are you using, or are you using software of some type?

Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584635

Zerath 01-31-2013 07:39 AM

Thanks for the crit!

Nice atmospheric feeling of the instruments - sounds like a cross of Within Temptation, In Flames and a random norwegian Metal band.

I like sound of the guy singing with the heavier growly tone. I do not however like the one with the more raspy scream, it sounds like he's gonna choke on the microphone :p: As for the clean singing - Nice melody and not really sour notes. He could use his support more to get a cleaner tone and open his mouth more as it sounds a bit closed down.

I think you should have some more punch in the chorus but other than that it was a good song :) .

Nor'Easterbass 01-31-2013 11:59 AM

Cool ideas and original song structure. My only criticism really would be the vocals need to be layered more and strengthened up and some of the electronic parts are cool and all, but in my opinion need to be rhythmically changed up a bit. In other words, I'd suggest using different syncopation, especially with the "drum-like" synth sounds. Overall, cool stuff though dude.

NelsonSFS 02-04-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
I've never heard electronic sounds combined with metal like this, that's pretty mindblowing!!
Maybe I'm just behind the times, as today everyone is combining all kinds of music genres, but wow, that is pretty damn cool!!!

well, getting to the actual song, my favorite parts are the melodic parts, like at 1:08, and I love that change of pace electronic/techno breakdown at 2:33.
The mix sounds balanced to me, and clean. By the way, what kind of keyboard/synth are you using, or are you using software of some type?

Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584635

thanks dude, as for the keys i use vst software a lot of it is the default fl studio plugins athough i do use massive sometimes and other vsts for the more natural instruments such as strings and organs,

Thanks guys i will take ur advice into considerations will deff add more layers on the chorus, thats on the to do list, any other suggestions?

fdsaevad 02-11-2013 11:32 PM

i think if you turn the guitars down, the mix will work out (... otherwise turn up the drums, vox and bass, which will have the same effect). missing the lower end as it stands, can't hear the bass or the kick

sweet tune! ... didn't like the midi effect at 3:15. if you hide it more, have it like an effect in the background it wouldn't sound so out of place.

aaron aardvark 02-12-2013 12:34 AM

NelsonSFS,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tune: song starts out really cool! Screaming/growling vocals are too hardcore for my taste, though the melodic singing is good! Drums & guitar & synths sound quite good. Playing is tight. Very well done for the genre. Rock on!

NelsonSFS 02-12-2013 12:46 AM

Thanks for the crits guys! Here's a newer mix of the song for u to hear and judge with your ears!
https://soundcloud.com/nelson-marti...-solace-queen-2

fdsaevad 02-12-2013 01:33 AM

you brought the vox up, beefed things up and it's nice. still need to crank those drums tho

listen to how loud they are on the next song that plays, silversteinmusic corporate ***** tune. drums are above and separate, totally louder than everything. this is true on every song.

crushingmetal 02-13-2013 02:36 AM

Cool sound, sounds a bit like Sonic Syndicate. You mix the electronic parts with the metal parts really well. I'm not sure the clean chorus works that well. The singer's tone is a bit jarring and it seems like he's struggling to hit the right notes and he can't hold his pitch that well. Also the backing vocals stand out too much, they should just blend in with the lead vocals. If you're gonna have a poppy chorus, see how Mutiny Within do it.

Having said that I like the electronic section after the second chorus and your breakdowns are pretty well executed. The growling vocals are good, they sound raw and pissed off and the guitar tone is nice too. Overall pretty sweet song, i would prefer less breakdowns but I guess that;s the sound you're going for.

C4C http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1587802

CoreysMonster 02-13-2013 05:02 PM

Some production tips:

- Your drums aren't present enough
- Your guitar and bass tracks aren't melded well enough
- The vocals sound too buried in the mix (that is already very muddied)

My advice would be to take the guitar tone, mesh it more with the bass tone, to give a huge foundation for the whole sound, and shape the drums around it, and then the vocals around that soundscape. I'm not a professional mixer by any means, this is just my amateur advice of what i'd do.

ironlac_ 02-13-2013 06:45 PM

I liked it. I can agree with the comments above. Drums aren't present enough, the vocals do sound too buried.

The structure of the song, sound is great. Did incredibly well, to be honest, it reminds me of Asking Alexandria in a type of way.

Just some work on the mix, I believe.

Great stuff, dude. :)

NelsonSFS 02-23-2013 07:47 PM

thanks for the crits guys I put the song on youtube so ppl can listen I made some slight adjustments, nothing is finished yet lemme know what you think!

pinguinpanic 02-24-2013 06:09 AM

Writing as I listen. Listening to the song in the video. The intro synths are pretty cool with the glitchy thing and everything. When the guitars hit at 0:13 it sounds like you have like a wah turned on over the guitar, at first I thought it was an effect but as I advance I notice that it doesn't go away. The guitar sounds very odd I don't exactly know where it went wrong. The song is pretty okay, fits the genre well. The singing at 1:10 is a bit weak tough but I think part of that is on the vocalist and not solely on the production altough I think productionwise you could get out some more. The part at 1:50 that glitches is pretty cool, but I'm starting to notice that the drums are a bit hidden. The synth bit at 2:55 is pretty cool but it sound like the oscilation of the synth is like slightly off tempo if that makes sense. The "biediebiediebiedie" thing seems to be just off which sounds a bit odd. You should perhaps go for an a bit more in-the-face snare. The current one could trade in some tail for a bit more SNAP. Perhaps it's the guitars that are hogging the frequencies that belong to the snare. I don't really like the vocal style of the high pitched screams, it sounds a bit like someone who's making a funny sound. But that's just an opinion, but i feel that it doesn't really fit the rest of the band.

The song itself is pretty good, not really my thing but for the genre you're aiming I'm pretty convinced you're doing a good job. You mix up stuff well and keep the song well-fed with ideas while still finding enough room to fit in enough choruses to make it "stick". However the chorus vocals aren't that well executed and either your vocalist should practice a bit more, you should get a copy of Melodyne or you should swap that out for more growls. This kind of holds the song back since the style of the song calls out for a catchy chorus. Which it would be if the vocals were a tad better.

Mix wise you're kind of in a hard situation because this type of music that combines pop and electronic elements really calls for top-notch production. The problem is that synths are great out of the box so the rest of the production will have to match that or the difference in quality will be really audible. Like listening to a bad mix after a good mix will sound horrible because you're ears have just adjusted to something that sounds good. However you didn't really have this problem as much as I expected. The quality difference isn't huge but still you need some work on the mix. Play arround with the guitars to make them sound a bit more "broad" and see if you can get a bit of crunch on the mid-highs of the bass to make it stick out a bit more in that region and to add some crunch/aggresion to the guitars. The drums could probably also be a bit louder. The kick sounds pretty good tough just a small volume boost would make that good. The cymbals could be a bit more in your face tough, I'm missing a bit of highs in general in the song so perhaps the cymbals could step in to fill that void. Something like a high shelf boost or something would work. You could perhaps also "glue" the vocals a bit more into the mix, a tad more compression and some reverb would work. Reverb really does wonders for both clean vocals and growls. Also that small lead guitar thing at 4:04 in the background is pretty cool perhaps you could turn that up a bit?

Stream of consciousness much, sorry about that, hope you can pull something usefull out of there.

NelsonSFS 02-24-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguinpanic
Writing as I listen. Listening to the song in the video. The intro synths are pretty cool with the glitchy thing and everything. When the guitars hit at 0:13 it sounds like you have like a wah turned on over the guitar, at first I thought it was an effect but as I advance I notice that it doesn't go away. The guitar sounds very odd I don't exactly know where it went wrong. The song is pretty okay, fits the genre well. The singing at 1:10 is a bit weak tough but I think part of that is on the vocalist and not solely on the production altough I think productionwise you could get out some more. The part at 1:50 that glitches is pretty cool, but I'm starting to notice that the drums are a bit hidden. The synth bit at 2:55 is pretty cool but it sound like the oscilation of the synth is like slightly off tempo if that makes sense. The "biediebiediebiedie" thing seems to be just off which sounds a bit odd. You should perhaps go for an a bit more in-the-face snare. The current one could trade in some tail for a bit more SNAP. Perhaps it's the guitars that are hogging the frequencies that belong to the snare. I don't really like the vocal style of the high pitched screams, it sounds a bit like someone who's making a funny sound. But that's just an opinion, but i feel that it doesn't really fit the rest of the band.

The song itself is pretty good, not really my thing but for the genre you're aiming I'm pretty convinced you're doing a good job. You mix up stuff well and keep the song well-fed with ideas while still finding enough room to fit in enough choruses to make it "stick". However the chorus vocals aren't that well executed and either your vocalist should practice a bit more, you should get a copy of Melodyne or you should swap that out for more growls. This kind of holds the song back since the style of the song calls out for a catchy chorus. Which it would be if the vocals were a tad better.

Mix wise you're kind of in a hard situation because this type of music that combines pop and electronic elements really calls for top-notch production. The problem is that synths are great out of the box so the rest of the production will have to match that or the difference in quality will be really audible. Like listening to a bad mix after a good mix will sound horrible because you're ears have just adjusted to something that sounds good. However you didn't really have this problem as much as I expected. The quality difference isn't huge but still you need some work on the mix. Play arround with the guitars to make them sound a bit more "broad" and see if you can get a bit of crunch on the mid-highs of the bass to make it stick out a bit more in that region and to add some crunch/aggresion to the guitars. The drums could probably also be a bit louder. The kick sounds pretty good tough just a small volume boost would make that good. The cymbals could be a bit more in your face tough, I'm missing a bit of highs in general in the song so perhaps the cymbals could step in to fill that void. Something like a high shelf boost or something would work. You could perhaps also "glue" the vocals a bit more into the mix, a tad more compression and some reverb would work. Reverb really does wonders for both clean vocals and growls. Also that small lead guitar thing at 4:04 in the background is pretty cool perhaps you could turn that up a bit?

Stream of consciousness much, sorry about that, hope you can pull something usefull out of there.

thanks for the in depth crit, im goin to definitely take ur advice on a bunch of things, you said a lot of useful things lol,

salamander121 02-25-2013 08:18 AM

Hey man thanks for the crit! Anyway:

The intro is cool for the kind of style with the glitchy effect; fits well but the only thing is the guitar and overall mix of the track feels a bit lackluster in terms of heaviness? this could be due to the levels of the guitar I think or the Eq'ing I think. Still not too bad though.

I have to say though throughout the whole song the synths and guitar are really on par with each other - they really do seem to meld together really well which I always seem to have a harder time doing.

This whole genre of music though isn't really my thing but nonetheless you guys are doing a good job at it.

MentaLrz 02-25-2013 01:18 PM

Right, the guitar sound needs to be a bit more aggressive imo. The clean harmonies are good. Vocals seem to be drowning a bit in the mix , they are not very level. The screaming vocals are some parts sound really whinny too so i would figure a way to make it a bit more aggressive and not so much a dying cat.

JDawg00100 02-26-2013 07:30 PM

Guitars are alright, I can't really tell what they need but they are missing something, the vocals i'm not entirely sure about. The clean vocals are pretty good, the screams I don't really like but the low growls I do like. I do like the electronic parts, i think they are great. Overall I liked the song writing, nice song :D