UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Grade 7/8 Primus songs (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585609)

run_forrest_run 01-30-2013 01:45 PM

Grade 7/8 Primus songs

I'm auditioning for Edinburgh Napier real soon and I need anybody who knows anything about graded exams to recommend me a primus song of a grade 7 or 8 level. I'd love to play one but I don't know which ones would rest at that level.

CJ Noble 01-30-2013 01:54 PM

try to defy the laws of tradition or mama didn't raise no fool. not their hardest songs by a long shot (that would probably have to go to DMV or Tommy The Cat) but I think they'd be better in this case.

run_forrest_run 01-30-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Noble
try to defy the laws of tradition or mama didn't raise no fool. not their hardest songs by a long shot (that would probably have to go to DMV or Tommy The Cat) but I think they'd be better in this case.

What;s so hard about DMV?

Ziphoblat 01-30-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by run_forrest_run

woah dude you must be totally liek awesom at base playin

Anyway... try Those Damn Blue-Collar Tweekers. Not the most difficult song, but not easy either, and there's a fairly challenging bass solo in it.

run_forrest_run 01-30-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
woah dude you must be totally liek awesom at base playin

Anyway... try Those Damn Blue-Collar Tweekers. Not the most difficult song, but not easy either, and there's a fairly challenging bass solo in it.

One of my favourites. And I'm not saying DMV is easy, just that I don't think it's nearly as hard as Tommy the Cat.

CJ Noble 01-30-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by run_forrest_run

it's probably easier on something with a low B but I play 4 string basses and there's a lot of shuffling around on the E and the A

run_forrest_run 01-30-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Noble
it's probably easier on something with a low B but I play 4 string basses and there's a lot of shuffling around on the E and the A

That'll be why. I own a 5 string so it's slightly easier for me.

moody git 01-30-2013 09:24 PM

from memory, in the guildhall grade 8 bass guitar tracklist, the electric grapvine by primus features.
EDIT: i mean trinity college
heres the tracklist anyway-
6:00 Dream Theater
Havona Weather Report
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Ian Dury And The Blockheads
Love Games Level 42
Over The Electric Grapevine (Technical focus) Primus
YYZ (Technical focus) Rush

Ziphoblat 01-30-2013 09:32 PM

Don't understand how Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick can be held on a par with songs like YYZ in terms of difficulty. It's absolutely superb playing and musicianship but...

moody git 01-30-2013 09:44 PM

as far as i know with that exam, you have to play 3 tracks including a technical focus. maybe to get a more all round show of what you can do? :shrug:
TS, if you can whack out hamburger train i imagine that'd do pretty well for you.

run_forrest_run 01-31-2013 06:45 PM

I'm leaning towards doing DMV. I'd judge it as being more complicated that over the electric grapevine (which is a stupid choice given that it's a six string song), but I'm wondering if Blue collar tweekers would be more impressive due to the strumming and the bass solo.

CJ Noble 01-31-2013 10:40 PM

remembering how to play that solo long enough to do an audition is a feat in and of itself

skippy_moogoose 02-01-2013 11:46 AM

Tommy the Cat isn't as hard as people think it is is to play, the solo is pretty tricky fo sho and there's a lot of room for improv, but I spent a long time working on mutes and such before approaching it, and I've struggled waaay more with other Primus tunes...
Something like Spaghetti Western or Pudding Time perhaps? Both incorporate slapping, popping, strumming and muting, so good to show off varied techniques and both have nice hard but funky grooves...
American Life, if you fancy messing around with loops and delays as Les is prone to do live can sound pretty damn stonking too!! Or something like One Better from Les' Solo work?? Again, it's a (fairly) straight forward riff but with lots and lots of variation and fills...Even he's simplified the chorus live when I've seen him.

run_forrest_run 02-01-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go with DMV cause I'm already playing Love Games by Level 42 which I've just found out is grade 8, so I've got slap sorted.