UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Whats your opinion: New Gibson 335 Studio (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585824)

DrewMeyer 01-31-2013 07:46 PM

Whats your opinion: New Gibson 335 Studio

What do you think? I personally like it, but I seem to be the minority here.

EDIT: I just noticed this, but is there something at the base of the neck? It looks so on both the black and blue models. Or am i just seeing some weird reflection in the same place on both?

paruwi 01-31-2013 07:57 PM

The Midtown Custom was cheaper - and is a 'full equipped' guitar

:haha:

H4T3BR33D3R 01-31-2013 08:16 PM

No f holes and a single pickup? Why? :confused:

Serious question though. Why couldn't it be like the Epiphone Dot Studio?

Darkflame 01-31-2013 08:25 PM

I like it, but I like the blue one next to it better. I also don't like open coil pickups.
Also, is it semihollow despite the lack of f-holes? I'd bet on chambered...

Mephaphil 01-31-2013 08:29 PM

What's the point if there's no F holes? How is that a 335? I thought the Studios were a no frills version of the original. Only a bridge pickup and no F holes seems a bit too no frills.

Or am I missing something?

WholeLottaIzzy 01-31-2013 08:40 PM

It'd be a neat idea if they put a bit more effort in. And a p90

DrewMeyer 01-31-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
No f holes and a single pickup? Why? :confused:

Serious question though. Why couldn't it be like the Epiphone Dot Studio?

Well Gibson already makes a "satin finish" 335 (which I suppose still has some unnecessary ornamentation) so I guess the idea was to create something kind of new, almost like a 335 special model. But I agree, P90 would be better.

SteveHOC 01-31-2013 09:02 PM

Double the P90 and I'd dig it. Three way selector, chambered body, vol/tone, that would be solid.

Roc8995 01-31-2013 09:13 PM

They made a 335 with no neck pickup. Brilliant. Because the Tom Delonge sig model was such a resounding success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMeyer
EDIT: I just noticed this, but is there something at the base of the neck? It looks so on both the black and blue models. Or am i just seeing some weird reflection in the same place on both?

It's a little plate. The way they set the neck on these guitars there's a gap under where the neck meets the body. So you either put a pickup ring there or you have that little plate.

Mephaphil 01-31-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
They made a 335 with no neck pickup. Brilliant. Because the Tom Delonge sig model was such a resounding success.

It's a little plate. The way they set the neck on these guitars there's a gap under where the neck meets the body. So you either put a pickup ring there or you have that little plate.

Haha Oh yea, I totally forgot about that! +1.

SteveHOC 01-31-2013 09:54 PM

Yeah, this one is just un-imaginative and lazy in my book. I'm cool with Studios and Juniors, but dropping the F-holes and dropping in a humbucker does not a 335 make, at least in my book. Wonder if they'll end up blowing them out ridiculously cheap. If so, I'd consider buying one and dropping an HB sized P90 in there.

Roc8995 01-31-2013 10:00 PM

These are gonna be 599 at Guitar Center faster than you can say Firebird X.

Mephaphil 01-31-2013 10:12 PM

I swear this period with Juszkiewicz at the helm is going to result in more failed lines and a ****ed up heritage for Gibson.

People already laugh at the crazy way they seem to be flooding the market.

They used to have a sense of exclusivity and while yea, the more expensive stuff like the Traditional, Standard, Customs and VOS are still quite exclusive, the fact that now you can get all kinds of quality with Gibson on the head stock is damaging. Even though they might still be good guitars throughout the range they don't have the same brand value as they once did. This 335 for example just looks terrible, like a barstardised version of the ES-335. Not cool.

It's like if Ferrari started making scooters. I wouldn't be surprised if the next CEO goes back on this current method of flooding the market.

griffin888 01-31-2013 10:39 PM

Doesn't make much sense to me, I don't know why anyone would buy a 335 without a neck pickup...plus it's really ugly.

SteveHOC 01-31-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
These are gonna be 599 at Guitar Center faster than you can say Firebird X.

They'd have to do better than that. This really is a pointless move on their part, unless they discontinue them and they strictly rise in value due to rarity (prime for reissues). Could be an interesting business strategy, even if the guitar isn't all-too-appealing.

AWACS 01-31-2013 11:17 PM

I do not like this guitar at all.

It looks like a homeless man's (don't mean to be rude) version of a Lucille.

Blompcube 02-01-2013 08:32 AM

imo, they should've made it a 339. the large, blank 335 body with hardly anything attached to it just makes it look incomplete.

ProphetToJables 02-01-2013 08:44 AM

It looks like a cheap knock off, I would strip the paint,change the hardware and route i a neck pup before i even considered it.

Mephaphil 02-01-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
It looks like a cheap knock off, I would strip the paint,change the hardware and route i a neck pup before i even considered it.

And add F holes? :p

Me too!

ProphetToJables 02-01-2013 08:52 AM

I only didn't say F holes because for the amount of work you might as well just admit that getting any other ES shape is better, I'd much prefer an Epiphone Lucille