UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bass Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   etting a good Doom/ Sotoner/ Sludge tone? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585889)

Usernames sucks 02-01-2013 04:42 AM

etting a good Doom/ Sotoner/ Sludge tone?

Hi, i want a dirty but tight bass tone like Baroness and many other sludge/stoner/doom bands. I got a warwck corvette active rockbass and pod farm 2, wich has many bass amp simultations. What do i do? Im no bassplayer.

Ziphoblat 02-01-2013 06:51 AM

Tone begins in the fingers. Maybe you should practice being a bass player first.

Usernames sucks 02-01-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Tone begins in the fingers. Maybe you should practice being a bass player first.

Sure :) But my band (with an actual bassist) records in my house with my gear, so i would like some help for tone.

Robbgnarly 02-01-2013 08:47 AM

something like an ampeg svt model would work well. If you can do diffrent bass cabs (I have never used pod farm) try diffrent cabs like 15/8x10s and see what sounds best to you.

Ziphoblat 02-01-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
Sure :) But my band (with an actual bassist) records in my house with my gear, so i would like some help for tone.

Try posting audio example of the sort of tone you'd be looking to achieve.

Usernames sucks 02-01-2013 04:00 PM

Something like this :)

Spaz91 02-01-2013 04:27 PM

Thats a musicman humbucker with a pick and heavy distortion; certainly not what I'd call a doom/stoner/sludge metal tone, then again that clip is pretty much generic post rock.

Try playing fingerstyle at the neck (slap the strings onto the high frets) with both pickups and tone wide open. Add a small amount of compression and overdrive, cut the super highs and boost the mids and low mids.

Usernames sucks 02-02-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Thats a musicman humbucker with a pick and heavy distortion; certainly not what I'd call a doom/stoner/sludge metal tone, then again that clip is pretty much generic post rock.

Try playing fingerstyle at the neck (slap the strings onto the high frets) with both pickups and tone wide open. Add a small amount of compression and overdrive, cut the super highs and boost the mids and low mids.

Yeah, maybe that wasnt the best example... But a tone like that with more mud/grit.

Spaz91 02-02-2013 09:17 PM

Then get a Sansamp VT Bass, pretty much all you need.

ZachShannon 02-12-2013 06:34 PM

Try an SVT model with the gain up almost full so it gets nice and gritty, and maybe throw an OD on the front of that, something that doesn't have too much top end since it isn't an especially clanky tone, more of a space filler, if you understand what I mean.

avpr212 02-19-2013 07:22 AM

I set my EQ so that the treble and mid face each other, with the bass just after the 12 o clock position. It gets a really great spacey tone

FatalGear41 02-19-2013 03:40 PM

Well; you're going to need some headroom before you start distorting things, or else you will find yourself stuck in the mud. Something nice and transparent, with some serious wattage on tap. Your POD Farm II isn't going to do it all by itself, unless all you want to do is go direct into a computer and record. In that case, roll off the treble and crank the bass to the point before it begins to distort. A slight echo will bring out the "end of the world" aspect of the tone. Keep any distortion crisp and not muddy.