UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Blackstar HT pedal would suit me? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585897)

Trecion 02-01-2013 05:48 AM

Blackstar HT pedal would suit me?

In my previous post I found out that an orange micro terror would not be loud enough for me and that it's best to save up.

However, I still need a better distortion sound as the amp at the rehearsel room does not suit my needs.

I'm playing poppunk as YouMeAtSix, sum 41 and fall out boy with influences from bands as anti-flag and rise against.

I'm now looking at a pedal (preferebly with a tube to get that tube drive sound which i love) to put over the clean channel of a marshall MG.

my budget would be 100-150 and i'm willing to go used.

Would something as the blackstar HT pedals suit my needs?

HammerParty 02-01-2013 06:06 AM

IIRC the blackstar ht pedals use solid state components even with a tube, but I could be wrong there. Also you could look into a used boss ds-1 or ds-2 and I think that'd do a pretty good job for those bands as well as be much much cheaper.

MaaZeus 02-01-2013 07:31 AM

To my knowledge Blackstar HT pedals are like HT-serie amplifiers preamp section in pedal form, though I may be wrong. But if they are, then you should know the amps are tube-solidstate hybrids on distortion channel. They sound pretty good for high gain stuff and if thats your thing go ahead and check it out.

AndyGray 02-01-2013 07:38 AM

Does your Bad Monkey not at all help the sound of the MG? I use it on my 10-watt version and it really helps reduce the bassey sound at low volumes.

I would look at the Boss DS's and also the MXR Distortion+

Trecion 02-01-2013 07:52 AM

the mg made a really weird sound and i didnt like it at all.

I am hoping to use this pedal as my main distortion over the clean channel so that I have a decent starting sound. + when Im going to gig somewhere in the future, i'll have a somewhat decent distortion to build on as long as I don't have my own amp.

andrerist 02-01-2013 10:19 AM

check out the new mesa pedals. they sound pretty amazing.

ragingkitty 02-01-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
check out the new mesa pedals. they sound pretty amazing.

A pedal from a amp maker known for their high gain sounds isn't going to make the turd sound like an angel.

andrerist 02-01-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
A pedal from a amp maker known for their high gain sounds isn't going to make the turd sound like an angel.

nope, it wont, but all in all its a great sounding pedal. i havent heard really great things about the HT pedals. blackstar is a great brand and so is mesa. can an MG sound like either? no, but a mesa pedal will still sound better than running a metalzone through it...

Trecion 02-01-2013 01:26 PM

Thx for all the tips, I just got back from the store and bought the boss DS 1.

I can see that there a lot of haters for this pedal but for my style it is good enough.

+i'll have an extra 100 to go towards my Orange rockerverb