UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Strat or Les Paul? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585904)

omertaxtasy 02-01-2013 07:16 AM

Strat or Les Paul?

I'm getting a new guitar and I have two choices in mind, from which I can't choose!

1. Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul
2. Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster,if I buy this I'm installing Fender Texas Specials.

I've played them and both the guitars feel equally good with my hands.

I play blues rock, rock 'n' roll, southern rock and classical. A bit of metal too, sometimes.

Anyone help me choose?

Mephaphil 02-01-2013 07:58 AM

The Strat would be better suited for the styles you play regularly. Plus you know what you want to do with it already. Why not look at a used US Standard? For the price of the pickups and Mexican you're nearly there!

Bhaok 02-01-2013 08:08 AM

Les Paul.

JAHellraiser 02-01-2013 08:22 AM

what amp are you using?

because in my experience actives didn't sound very good on a solid state amp. and if it's not really that good of an amp then you probably wont hear the difference between the pickups.

Mephaphil 02-01-2013 08:46 AM

Just to add, the Lace Golds are much nicer than the Texas Specials IMO.

Volcz 02-01-2013 08:47 AM

Only thing is the Strat will pretty much die when you try and do metal.

I think a HSS (humbucker in bridge, single coils in middle and neck) Strat would suit you!

Dempsey68 02-01-2013 08:56 AM

i was gonna do a number 2, std MIM strat and texas specials

but may i suggest the fender classic player 60s strat

it's got the custom shop 69 pickups in which sound very similar to texas specials but IMO a bit better.

i play blues mainly (hendrix, SRV, john mayer, BB Kiing) but also some other stuff (Queen, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Green day, led-zep) the list can go on...

and i prefer the 69 pickups than the TS's and i gave both very thorough tests

so buying the CP 60s strat will save you a bit of money too than buying a MIM strat, TS pickups and payaing a man to install them for you.

hope this helps

azrael4h 02-01-2013 09:14 AM

The Strat will be a bit more suited to what you are playing, but a standard Les Paul is not exactly a bad choice (not going to swear a Zakk Wylde edition is however).

However, why buy a MiM? I was able to pull a USA Strat for $599, with the Texas Specials, new. That's about what I paid for my Blacktop MiM Strat. By the time you upgrade the pickups, you're likely within lower-end MiA range at least, or used. I do know that there was a MiA SSS Strat used for about the same as I paid for mine new at the local GC, but I can't swear as to what pickups are in it.

hminh87 02-01-2013 09:58 AM

Yeah. Why not go for a guitar with Texas Specials from the start? I'm sure you can find a US Strat for maybe a little bit more money.

gregs1020 02-01-2013 10:00 AM

the only correct answer is both.

go big or go home.

MaggaraMarine 02-01-2013 10:00 AM

Why are you looking at Zakk Wylde Les Paul? I mean, Les Paul Standard would fit those styles much better. So if those are the options to choose from, Fender Strat.

kurt_cobain9 02-01-2013 10:06 AM

in all honesty, it would probably be a little more beneficial to save for an american strat.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar
this one has the Texas Specials in it already.

At any rate, pick the strat. I've been playing strats for years and I have a hard time going to anything else most of the time. I started off as a gibson/epiphone guy but once I picked up a strat, that was all over.

They're very versatile. I play a lot of hard rock, metal, punk and blues with mine. They clean up real good, they have bite and a wide range of tones. for the styles of music you're looking for, the strat is more suitable. You essentially still have humbucking capability in a strat, so in reality, you have the best of both worlds.

The Dimery 02-01-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omertaxtasy
1. Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul

This will make you look like a moron trying to be Zakk Wylde, get a Les Paul unique to yourself.

Mephaphil 02-01-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dimery
This will make you look like a moron trying to be Zakk Wylde, get a Les Paul unique to yourself.

What?

T00DEEPBLUE 02-01-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dimery

Don't be a dick. If he wants that guitar, then so be it. He might even want to be in a BLS cover band some years down the road.

Mephaphil 02-01-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Don't be a dick. If he wants that guitar, then so be it. He might even want to be in a BLS cover band some years down the road.

The irony is, that comment was moronic. I want a new SRV Strat, oh no, maybe people will think I wanna be SRV!

osiris8 02-01-2013 11:15 AM

I've come to the conclusion I really prefer 24.75" scale over 25.5" (short fingers) - so for me: not a strat. For you? Can't say :-D

MrFlibble 02-01-2013 11:16 AM

The main reason to not buy the Zakk Wylde LP is because it's not really any better than the Standard, just costs more for the (universally agreed to be rubbish) EMG Hz pickups and his name on the headstock.

But if it feels good to you, go for it. Same with the Strat. You can't compare them because they are totally different in every way; other than both having 6 strings, there is nothing they have in common. So buy whichever one feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ears. No reason to choose any other way.

T00DEEPBLUE 02-01-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The main reason to not buy the Zakk Wylde LP is because it's not really any better than the Standard, just costs more for the (universally agreed to be rubbish) EMG Hz pickups and his name on the headstock.

The later ones do have 81/85's

MrFlibble 02-01-2013 12:28 PM

Ah, well if they've finally sorted that out then there's a little more point, though it does still then draw unfavourable comparisons to the various LTD ECs, Kramer Assaults and Epiphone Prophecy guitars which also have active pickups.