UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Banjo anyone? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585998)

weebsy 02-01-2013 07:32 PM

Banjo anyone?

I listened to quite a bit of Bluegrass on a recent trip the the Blueridge Mountain area and have become very tempted to get a banjo. Any guitar players out there also play Banjo? If so how easy is it to pick up? I play quite a bit of acoustic finger picking in my current playing and presume this might help.

Obsceneairwaves 02-01-2013 07:34 PM

first thing you need to learn is this

primusfan 02-01-2013 07:35 PM

if you're talking about five string scruggs style, it's all in the right hand. start learning your rolls now, ya know. just practice on your desk or something. it'll also take a while to get used to the fingerpicks on your fingers. you could play flesh, but it wouldn't sound quite right.

clawhammer is a little less technical and easier to pick up. that's more appalachian/old time music though.

and then tenor/plectrum is very much like a guitar, but they're generally for irish/dixieland jazz so not quite what you mean.

and learn this song, because it's the best:

Wolfinator-x 02-01-2013 07:41 PM

I"m fairly certain Theogonia plays banjo.

AxeToFall 02-01-2013 08:34 PM

I live in the Blueridge area & have been trying to get my hands on a used banjo for a while. Surprisingly, pawn shops hardly ever have them & Craigslist has them for at least a grand. Not a cheap instrument.

derek8520 02-01-2013 10:18 PM

I bought a banjo just before Christmas.
I'm also quite into finger picking on a guitar and i think that definitely helps me with banjo, however it's still a completely different instrument so don't expect it to be easy to master.

And i only play with a thumbpick and my fingernails, just preference i think, but i'll let a more experienced player give you some more advice. :)

tortilla 02-01-2013 10:24 PM

skylerjames13 02-01-2013 10:31 PM

inb4 theogonia comes into this thread and she/he/it/ rants about something banjo/bluegrass related

Gantz92 02-01-2013 11:12 PM

JustRooster 02-01-2013 11:54 PM

I have a banjo thread in the acoustic forum. Myself, theogonia777 and alexfox are pickers.

weebsy 02-02-2013 04:58 AM

Axetofall
I stayed in Ashville on my trip. Nice place. Stayed at a hotel with a bar straight across the road with live music on. There were some mighty fine beards on display and the music was good too!
Would love to come back sometime!

ShameofaNation 02-02-2013 05:07 AM

I bought a Deering Goodtime 1 last march, I love it but I've put less time into it than I should have.

theogonia777 02-02-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
if you're talking about five string scruggs style, it's all in the right hand. start learning your rolls now, ya know. just practice on your desk or something. it'll also take a while to get used to the fingerpicks on your fingers. you could play flesh, but it wouldn't sound quite right.

Melodic style is similar to Scruggs style. You can use it to play fiddle tunes verbatim.
It's way cooler than Scruggs style but not as versatile, so it's more for the occasional lead break or fill.

clawhammer is a little less technical and easier to pick up. that's more appalachian/old time music though. Clawhammer is a bit more "all inclusive" I guess you could say. By that I mean that it sounds more complete when playing unaccompanied or as a backup to vocals since it is less syncopated and has a stronger emphasis on a very steady rhythm compared to bluegrass picking, so if you plan on just playing by yourself, it's a cool option.

and then tenor/plectrum is very much like a guitar (meh, not really) but they're generally for irish/dixieland jazz so not quite what you mean. You really can't play the more stereotypical stuff that the banjo is known for in American folk music with one. But you could certainly play a 5 string banjo with a flat pick instead of playing a 4 string. This is commonly done in indie music, alternative rock, and folk rock, but it's pretty immoral to play a 5 string with a flat pick.

6 string banjo is very much like guitar. It's not actually a banjo though. It kind of defeats the purpose of actually learning banjo, since it gives you the sound of a banjo only in terms of timbre. You don't get those cool banjo licks, which really heavily on open tunings and the use of the 5th string, which is really 90% of the sound of traditional banjo playing and 90% of the fun of playing banjo anyway.

and learn this song, because it's the best:

I added/fixed some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
inb4 theogonia comes into this thread and she/he/it/ rants about something banjo/bluegrass related

I know right? How dare someone that is knowledgeable on the topic come in and actually contribute anything of any value? :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz92

They don't even play it right in that movie.

Acϵ♠ 02-02-2013 02:35 PM

I would like to get a banjo too. I can see it being a similar transition from guitar to ukulele, and doing that improved my fingerpicking tenfold. I want to learn Big Country by Bela Fleck on banjo, like really really badly

ryan_nadon 02-02-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
I know right? How dare someone that is knowledgeable on the topic come in and actually contribute anything of any value? :rolleyes:

There a difference between being knowledge and being a pedantic prick.

skylerjames13 02-02-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
I added/fixed some things.

Knowledgeable =/= helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_nadon

theogonia777 02-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_nadon

Because your contribution is so polite and helpful! :rolleyes:

And how exactly is it being a pedantic prick to add extra information and correct a small bit about how tenor banjo really isn't that much like guitar (which it really isn't)?

Simsimius 02-02-2013 03:57 PM

You have to play this as the first song you learn.

CoreysMonster 02-02-2013 04:00 PM

^Yes. That so much.

Acϵ♠ 02-02-2013 04:08 PM

ph man banjo kazooie was so good. I dont even know how they managed to make Tooie so much better