UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What Key Am I In? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586177)

Punk Rhythm 02-02-2013 10:43 PM

What Key Am I In?

I'm trying to write a a solo for a song, but I'm not entirely sure what key I'm in. I have power chords on C G# (Ab) D# (Eb) and A# B(b). Anyone know what key that is? Thanks in advance!

Angusman60 02-02-2013 11:27 PM

C minor.

D..W.. 02-03-2013 03:02 AM

Cm or Eb. You could possible go Ab major (could be worth a try, I haven't personally tried it though, might sound good, might not) because they're powerchords and thus there's no major/minor.

Just a note, if you're trying to find the key to solo in, just play. Play until you find a note that sounds good, then figure out a few notes on that string that work. They usually translate into a run from a certain major scale. Or you could just play random major scales until you find the right one. My point being, if you can't figure it out by brainpower just figure it out by ear.

MaggaraMarine 02-03-2013 05:56 AM

To know what key you are in, you must listen to the chords. Which of them everything resolves to (feels like "home")? That's the key you are in. Looking at scale sometimes helps but if you have a non diatonic chord progression, it might just confuse if you look at scales. And scale doesn't tell you what the key center is - or it does but the same notes can be found in many scales, for example A minor, F major pentatonic and G major pentatonic share notes with C major scale. For example if you have a melody with notes G, A, C, D and E, these notes fit three major scales: C, F and G (and also three minor scales: A, D and E). You need to listen to the harmony and find the key center, the chord that everything resolves to.

Punk Rhythm 02-04-2013 09:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks a bunch guys. The issue with playing by ear, however, is I have no idea where to start, and don't know enough about soloing to know what's supposed to go with what. Thanks a lot, though! :)

Angusman60 02-05-2013 12:59 AM

Do you know the minor pentatonic? If so, that's what you would use over this.

MaggaraMarine 02-05-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk Rhythm
Awesome! Thanks a bunch guys. The issue with playing by ear, however, is I have no idea where to start, and don't know enough about soloing to know what's supposed to go with what. Thanks a lot, though! :)

This you will learn over time. Maybe learn to play your favorite solos and see what the professionals do. That way you will learn how different things sound like.

If you want to learn how to play by ear, first learn some simple songs like AC/DC that have only power chords/basic chords in their songs and are easy to play. And don't look at tabs. You could also transcribe the songs by yourself. That's what I used to do, I made my own tabs because I noticed how bad the tabs made by others were. My own tabs were much more accurate and at the same time I learned the song because I just listened to it so many times.

Punk Rhythm 02-09-2013 12:32 AM

PSH, AC/DC just so happens to be my favroite band :P But i know what you're saying. I can listen to a song of their I haven't learned and say, "okay it's this chord then this..."etc.