UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need Help for creating solos - Rock/Metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586349)

metallica_esp 02-03-2013 10:14 PM

Need Help for creating solos - Rock/Metal

Hey there guys, I was wondering if someone could please help me learn how to improvise and write my own solos. Mine always end up sounding bland, like straight up pentatonics etc, i want to learn styles like Hammett and Mustaine etc, and also other players like david gilmour, slash, but i just cant seem to pick it up. All of my improvisations sound pretty much the same, I'd really appreciate some help,
Thanks very much Kayne :)

Funk Monk 02-04-2013 12:01 AM

Have you tried incorporating some of your favorite player's licks into your solos?

metallica_esp 02-04-2013 12:13 AM

yeah ive tried maybe im not structuring it right or something, but to me it just sounds like a jumbled mess

Acou97 02-04-2013 12:30 AM

try improvising to some of your favourite solos, play along in their pauses, and continue after the solo ends, or even try improvising an extended solo over an entire song, take the parts you improvised that you like and work from them
david gilmour use to play "extended solos" then go back listen to them over and over and take the parts he wanted, both comfortably numb solos were written that way

metallica_esp 02-04-2013 12:54 AM

ive started to give that a go, it working well with song like unforgiven and fade to black, but im really stuck on how to write a solo for heavier songs like more thrashy metallica and megadeth :/

Funk Monk 02-04-2013 01:35 AM

You have to start slow man. Practice will make you "unstuck".

CaptainCanti 02-04-2013 01:39 AM

Its good to go off of pentatonic, sometimes, but make sure you're complimenting the melody.

nitarsh 02-04-2013 01:41 AM

First, listen to the song (the backing track) several times and let ur brain play a solo over it.. don't think about pentatonics or stuff.. just let ur mind play what you feel like playing.. do that several times until you remember every part of the solo you created. Now come the hard part. You need to play that solo over your guitar. This might take some time, but the results will be aw3some.

Funk Monk 02-04-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitarsh
First, listen to the song (the backing track) several times and let ur brain play a solo over it.. don't think about pentatonics or stuff.. just let ur mind play what you feel like playing.. do that several times until you remember every part of the solo you created. Now come the hard part. You need to play that solo over your guitar. This might take some time, but the results will be aw3some.

+1

:cheers:

Sakke 02-04-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitarsh

Exactly this.

mitch311 02-04-2013 02:51 AM

A very important thing is learning heaps of solos by ear. Helps a lot

bondmorkret 02-04-2013 10:20 AM

The guys you mentioned tend to use pentatonic scales as a basic framework, and add to that. Try combining Minor Pentatonic scales from the 2nd, 3rd and 6th in an major key (D,E & A in C major), or try learning the dorian mode and using that to improvise over minor chord type grooves. There's a free lesson pack on dorian improvisation on my site that might help :)