UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Techniques (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Easiest Songs for Pinch Harmonics (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586477)

Brotherbrodude 02-04-2013 03:50 PM

Easiest Songs for Pinch Harmonics

What songs are the easiest for you to use pinch harmonics on? Also, how did you learn your pinch harmonics? By accident? Through a specific song?

The song for me that's easiest is Victim Of Changes by Judas Priest and Rust In Peace...Polaris by Megadeth. I also learned by accident one day when playing a song that i had written differently.

My Last Words 02-04-2013 04:03 PM

There aren't any pinches in Rust in peace.. Polaris to my knowledge ?
And most of the time, pinch harmonics are equal in difficulty.
Still, a really easy one would be the pinch in the intro solo to DT's count of tuscany, if that's what you're looking for ..

UnmagicMushroom 02-04-2013 04:07 PM

The song for me was Unholy Confessions - yeah it only appears like 4 times in the whole song but whatever. I started by arbitrarily pinching the string and hoping lol, but playing fingerstyle classiscal guitar actually help me to find the harmonic node thingies and I just taught myself to hit them with a pick better and make 'em squeal :shrug:

Brotherbrodude 02-04-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
There aren't any pinches in Rust in peace.. Polaris to my knowledge ?
And most of the time, pinch harmonics are equal in difficulty.
Still, a really easy one would be the pinch in the intro solo to DT's count of tuscany, if that's what you're looking for ..

The part after the last verse there is. I also like to incorporate my own pinch harmonics too.

TheNameOfNoone 02-04-2013 05:19 PM

I had shitty technique where I was hitting downstrokes while my thumb was placed behind the pick - I just seemed to make those annoying high-pitched screams which I couldn't get rid of, all the time.
Took me awhile to realize what was I doing...

EDIT:
Also, try doing some Slipknot stuff, they have some sick harmonics in several songs...

bdof 02-04-2013 05:32 PM

Junior#1 02-05-2013 02:56 AM

What I did to learn pinch harmonics is just take a riff that I was familiar with and start doing some pinches in it instead of the real note. For instance this:
Code:
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------2----------------------- A|-------4-----5-----4-----0-0-0-4-0-0-5-0-0-4-0-0-2-2-2-4-2-2-5-2-2-4-2-2---2-2-5-2-2-4-2-2-5-2-2- E|-3-3-3---3-3---3-3---3-3-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would play this:
Code:
e|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------2--------------------------- A|-------4*-----5*-----4*-----0-0-0-4*-0-0-5*-0-0-4*-0-0-2-2-2-4*-2-2-5*-2-2-4*-2-2---2-2-5*-2-2-4*-2-2-5*-2-2- E|-3-3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * = a pinch harmonic.

And then after that I played a riff from Deadly Sinners by 3 inches of blood, but with pinches:
Code:
e|------------------- B|-------5--\4------- G|-7-5-7---------5--- D|------------------- A|------------------- E|-------------------

Code:
e|--------------------- B|-------5*--\4*------- G|-7-5-7-----------5--- D|--------------------- A|--------------------- E|---------------------

bondmorkret 02-05-2013 07:19 AM

I find the easiest way to get my students practicing pinch harmonics is to incorporate it in improvising. For instance, listen to Nuno Bettencourt, or Tom Quayle's solos, they're littered with pinches, all over the place. The great thing with this is it doesn't matter if the pinches are a bit and miss at first, because there's no riff that demands a pinch on one specific note. Hope that makes sense!