UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help With Harmonic Minor Modes (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586488)

raocho 02-04-2013 04:55 PM

Help With Harmonic Minor Modes

Hello all. I've just spent the past two months taking a crash course in the major and harmonic minor modes after watching a few instructional Youtube videos, and I think that I've got the basics down.

I'm currently composing a groove metal piece in the key of G# Superlocrian bb7 that also modulates to the secondary dominant of D# Phrygian Dominant with some licks in D# Byzantine. Will I get a good sound by resolving from the Superlocrian bb7 to its relative major of A Ionian?

Keth 02-04-2013 04:57 PM

Yes.

AeolianWolf 02-04-2013 05:08 PM

sure bro

i'm not even going to try anymore

EmilGD 02-04-2013 05:46 PM

I'm actually amazed right now. Dem names.

rockingamer2 02-04-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raocho
Hello all. I've just spent the past two months taking a crash course in the major and harmonic minor modes after watching a few instructional Youtube videos, and I think that I've got the basics down.

I'm currently composing a groove metal piece in the key of G# Superlocrian bb7 that also modulates to the secondary dominant of D# Phrygian Dominant with some licks in D# Byzantine. Will I get a good sound by resolving from the Superlocrian bb7 to its relative major of A Ionian?

You. Have. No. Idea. What. You. Are. Talking. About.

Angusman60 02-04-2013 06:45 PM

Dem names is leigt. So, sure. If you want to go to A, go ahead.

AeolianWolf 02-04-2013 06:49 PM

actually, yes, you'll get a good sound

but i'd very much like it if you'd post up a demo of the finished project to show the rest of MT that not only you know what you're talking about, but that modes are superior to all other forms of music

i look forward to (tearing apart) the finished result

jazz_rock_feel 02-04-2013 06:53 PM

Dem names. Those can't be real.

mdc 02-04-2013 07:19 PM

Faaaaaaaakin'elllllllll

Angusman60 02-04-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Dem names. Those can't be real.

They are. He used the lesser known names of some modes used in the music of Ravel, Debussy, and other Impressionist composers.... And metal.

Xiaoxi 02-04-2013 07:43 PM

The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.

:-D 02-04-2013 07:59 PM

if you liked to be pissed on then urine luck

MattyBoy 1337 02-04-2013 08:04 PM

Oh my goodness. Just.... Wow.

Angusman60 02-04-2013 08:30 PM

I smell a troll.....

Morphogenesis26 02-04-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

AeolianWolf 02-04-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26

i'm actually a HUGE fan of egoraptor, just thought i'd throw that out there

D..W.. 02-04-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
You. Have. No. Idea. What. You. Are. Talking. About.

That.

But, since you seem to understand what you mean, perhaps you should just try it. I mean, if it sounds good, it IS good.

raocho 02-04-2013 11:56 PM

I guess that you guys misunderstood me. I don't know why because my post was very succinct, but any anyway. This is an example of what I was talking about.

I'll post my own work when I get the time. I love the dissonance of the Superlocrian bb7, and I find G# Superlocrian bb7 to be the most dissonant key in all of music that I have had the time to experiment with. It's even more dissonant than Cb Hypolocrian and the key of Gb diminished in a joint modulation with a tertiary modulation to Bbb diminished.

Anyway. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Angusman60 02-05-2013 12:53 AM

Why would you use Hypolocrian?... We aren't singing Gregorian Chant anymore.

jazz_rock_feel 02-05-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:
I'll post my own work when I get the time. I love the dissonance of the Superlocrian bb7, and I find G# Superlocrian bb7 to be the most dissonant key in all of music that I have had the time to experiment with. It's even more dissonant than Cb Hypolocrian and the key of Gb diminished in a joint modulation with a tertiary modulation to Bbb diminished.

Okay, this is 100% a troll. It has to be.