UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stocks/Investments (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586493)

OfCourseNot 02-04-2013 05:36 PM

Stocks/Investments

I'm thinking about doing some investments soon. I don't know what, bonds, stocks, whatever, but I'll talk to my financial adviser soon and figure it out.

Have you invested in any stocks or other investments?

Tsar66 02-04-2013 05:37 PM

OfCourseNot

LostLegion 02-04-2013 05:38 PM

I have 150 shares in Vodafone.

Zombee 02-04-2013 05:40 PM

The last time I was in the stock market was about the time the Palm Pre came out on sprint. I told my dad that if I could invest in that now(about 3 mo prior to release), I'd make a boat load. Well, they came out, Sprint's stock tripled and Palm's Pentupled(5x). I was like, "See dad? You should've let me invest!" So he invested for me, right about as they returned to their normal levels and I lost hundreds.

I took my remaining money and placed it in activision-blizzard before COD came out. The game made $50million, but A-B lost about $0.70 per stock. I bid the stock market adue and now have my small starving savings in a CD, like a smart man.

SilentOverseer 02-04-2013 05:58 PM

Well bonds are typically seen as the safest form of investment. You put money in, make maybe 3-7% interest depending on the bond. Not crazy money, but its something if you got cash laying around doing nothing. You need lots of money to make lots of money....The game is rigged.

KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT 02-04-2013 06:10 PM

I thought about doing this around 3 years ago, I would have only been able to put in around 500 which means I'd only even have, like, approx 1200 by now if I was good at it. But that's a wild estimate but I still wish I started when I wanted to.

ErnestoFidel 02-04-2013 06:13 PM

Financial issues must be among top 5 things not to ask for advice in on an online guitar forum.

OT: I never had enough money to seriously invest in anything. But even if I had the money I would always keep it safe and go for security instead of profit.

So-Cal 02-04-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar66
OfCourseNot

obligatory and entirely accurate

BuckinFuffalo 02-04-2013 06:16 PM

I've never actually invested, but I've played around on a lot of different simulators that use the real time prices. Through these I've learned that futures are a great way at making a bit of money, and making them fast, provided you don't make blind investments. If you don't look into the futures that you will buy, you can easily lose more money than you imagined possible, but if you look into stuff a bit they can make you money. (Well, this has worked for me a lot, but I'm not a pro or anything either).

metalblaster 02-04-2013 06:18 PM

I've got stocks. On one occasion I did very good profit-wise. Currently mine aren't doing too bad, they're long term so it's hard to judge.

I'm thinking of buying some 5 or 10 year bonds sometimes soon.

VillainousLatin 02-04-2013 06:19 PM

OfCourseN....

Quote:
OfCourseNot

Fuck you! :mad:

MinterMan22 02-04-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:
OfCourseNot

beauty

never gets old

Philip_pepper 02-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfCourseNot
I'm thinking about doing some investments soon. I don't know what, bonds, stocks, whatever, but I'll talk to my financial adviser soon and figure it out.

Have you invested in any stocks or other investments?

PropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPr opertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProp ertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProper tyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProperty PropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPr opertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProp ertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProper tyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyPropertyProperty Property

As Stewie says, "It's good to have land".

Danjo's Guitar 02-04-2013 06:34 PM

The stock market doesn't make any sense to me.

jazz_rock_feel 02-04-2013 06:42 PM

I bought Intel at $6 and sold in early 2001. I'm very wealthy.

Nickpocalypse 02-04-2013 06:44 PM

I have, and I've done quite well. But I don't do it very often, and I feel like if I started to do it more I'd probably lose a ton. I just get into things that I'm interested in, was quite successful with RIM recently.

zackk 02-04-2013 06:45 PM

It depends on how much money you have, really. Speculation can help you or hurt you. Right now, Apple stocks are the lowest that they have been in a while and I think they will bounce up again. You may be able to make a quick dollar on that, but they are still expensive as far as stocks go.(something like 442 usd) Be sure to talk to your financial adviser before investing if you don't know what you are doing.

Nickpocalypse 02-04-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackk
It depends on how much money you have, really. Speculation can help you or hurt you. Right now, Apple stocks are the lowest that they have been in a while and I think they will bounce up again. You may be able to make a quick dollar on that, but they are still expensive as far as stocks go.(something like 442 usd) Be sure to talk to your financial adviser before investing if you don't know what you are doing.

I always prefer cheap stocks to huge ones like that. I get the idea that "it's the percentage it moves, not the size of the stock", but the smaller ones always have larger ups or downs, percentage wise. Obviously, they're more speculative, but I'm in a position where that interests me more. Can't imagine buying one of those stocks, or Google, at like $700/share.

AxeToFall 02-04-2013 07:02 PM

A few years ago I was day-trading OTC & pink sheet stocks. It was alot of fun, but very stressful. The pink sheets are crazy; stocks that sell as low as $.0001 a share, stocks that are constantly getting pumped-and-dumped (go up 50%-500% in a day, then fall just as hard), and companies disappear just as fast as they appear. Would make a couple grand one week, then lose it the next.

The pink sheets are not for the faint of heart, but can be pretty lucrative with only a couple hundred dollars invested. If you're going to be investing in Blue Chips, your gains aren't going to be shit unless you're investing AT LEAST a few grand.

doomded 02-04-2013 07:03 PM

I have not technically invested, but I do have money in my name that was invested (for my college fund) in Coca-Cola.

I just wish I actually know how much they invested. I have looked up a couple different stock calculators and if they invested $10,000 (a number my grandparents could have easily come up with) in Coca-Cola on the day I was born it would be worth about $135,000 now.