UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Getting your music OUT THERE! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586497)

flashbandit 02-04-2013 06:03 PM

Getting your music OUT THERE!

I just discovered KickStarter, a pretty sweet site that a lot of musicians are using to promote themselves and raise money for recording albums. (Plus tons of non related projects are raising tons of money, like some video games are grossing in the millions!)

Thoughts?

Obsceneairwaves 02-04-2013 06:06 PM

how far out there are we talking maaann?

theogonia777 02-04-2013 06:11 PM

You just disovered it? You must feel how my great grandfather Boris felt when he discovered America back in 1908. I don't think that his name was actually Boris though.

Reisgar42 02-04-2013 06:28 PM

As far as I've seen, Kickstarter has only been good for funding indie games and cookbooks. I have yet to see a musician successfully do something through Kickstarter.

Get a Bandcamp site and spread the word that way.

Faux 02-04-2013 06:29 PM

A friend of mine from HS's band actually found success on kickstarter, so my thoughts on it are pretty positive.

Do Re Mi 02-04-2013 06:30 PM

I think KickStarter is really cool. It helps a lot of things get made that otherwise wouldn't due to lack of funding. Not much bad you can say about that.

It kind of tarnishes the image of a starving artist struggling and earning their way, but I guess it's like people buying your music if they're the ones paying for it to get recorded. That is, if they even do, it's not like everyone's on there getting bunches of money. So I guess it's still like earning your way, if not with a touch of begging.

We're all starving, anyway.

Do Re Mi 02-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisgar42
Get a Bandcamp site and spread the word that way.

And this. Bandcamp is pretty terrific.

stratkat 02-04-2013 07:41 PM

Kickstarter demands you have a company and tax information..

I wanted to use it to raise money to have my last album professionally mastered, I couldn't sign up to it.

I've had music in several commercial videogames, it doesn't really rake in the fans.

Diskowarp label has success through bandcamp, but they're reletively known in the art and music communnity.

Saint78 02-04-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
You just disovered it? You must feel how my great grandfather Boris felt when he discovered America back in 1908. I don't think that his name was actually Boris though.

:haha: :haha:

flashbandit 02-05-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratkat

I wanted to use it to raise money to have my last album professionally mastered, I couldn't sign up to it.

I don't think it does need company info, I checked in the KickStarter FAQs and it says that when Amazon asks for your company name, you can easily just put 'individual'. It does however need tax info, but how is that a problem?

blake1221 02-05-2013 06:52 PM

Some people like avoiding taxes.

Anyways, I wouldn't listen to a single artist that asks KickStarter to do the gruntwork for them, unless it's something minor. Plus, there are far better means of promotion. KickStarter is just whoring yourself.

Rawshik 02-05-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Re Mi
And this. Bandcamp is pretty terrific.

I disagree. It's super easy for people to pirate bandcamp music.

blake1221 02-05-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawshik
I disagree. It's super easy for people to pirate bandcamp music.

oh noes people get around buying music that should be free anyways :c

Rawshik 02-05-2013 07:16 PM

I'm not saying I care about that personally, my policy is that I pirate music so everyone else can have mine for free as well. But some people are pretty snobby about that.

theogonia777 02-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint78
:haha: :haha:

His name might have been Ivan, Nikolai, or Alexander. I don't really know. :shrug:

flashbandit 02-06-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Some people like avoiding taxes.

Anyways, I wouldn't listen to a single artist that asks KickStarter to do the gruntwork for them, unless it's something minor. Plus, there are far better means of promotion. KickStarter is just whoring yourself.

Avoiding taxes, like you'd have to pay anyways if you got big enough. And I'd rather pay taxes on $10,000 bucks then not have it at all...

And why not use KickStarter? If someone else will raise all the money for you and expose you to diverse crowds for free, which in turn frees up your time to focus on your music, why not?

willT08 02-06-2013 11:53 AM

In the EDM scene there's fairly well established channels for promoting music that's of one of the major genres (House, Dubstep, DnB etc). Huge channels like VitalFM and Monstercat get tens of thousands of views promoting underground talent and then there's a multitude of smaller channels all dedicated to the same thing.

Surely there must be something like this out there for rock/pop music?

ron666 02-10-2013 10:41 PM

I think that one of the problems with these sites that raise money for musical endeavours is that the band has to be well known first, like Protest the Hero was. I don't know if a total unknown would've been as successful.

ron666 :devil:

food1010 02-10-2013 11:57 PM

You know a great way to promote yourself? Play shows. Meet people. Be professional. Set up a street team. Don't rely on the internet to spread the word for you.

I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm just saying that while internet resources are great and should definitely be used, you'll develop a much more loyal fanbase by actually doing things in person. You're much more likely to get someone to come to a show by having someone verbally invite them than just getting an online invitation.

Obviously it's hard to reach fans in different cities this way, but you can't ever forget the importance of it.

CoreysMonster 02-11-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratkat

No it doesn't. It demands you have an American address, bank account and social security number.