UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GT-100. Worth It? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586573)

omertaxtasy 02-05-2013 03:35 AM

GT-100. Worth It?

I'm getting a Fender MIA Standard Strat and a Vox Valvetronix VT80+. All I want is another good processor, considering the fact that I already own a Korg AX3000G. Two choices in mind, which is better?

1. Line 6 POD HD500
2. Boss GT-100

Eppicurt 02-05-2013 03:38 AM

The POD is easily the better option. Much better processing, sounds, effects, etc, etc.

Why do you want a multi-fx when you're getting a modelling amp?

omertaxtasy 02-05-2013 03:39 AM

What should I get then? Analog pedals ? (Compacts)

Eppicurt 02-05-2013 03:45 AM

Well, I don't know. What sort of sounds do you want to achieve? What's your budget? Have you thought of getting an amp other than the VT80?

omertaxtasy 02-05-2013 03:53 AM

I want to achieve good bluesy and overdrive tones. Plus, I would like raw distortion. My budget is $600.

No, I really like that amp.

trashedlostfdup 02-05-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omertaxtasy
I want to achieve good bluesy and overdrive tones. Plus, I would like raw distortion. My budget is $600.

No, I really like that amp.

i am not sure you know what you are doing. you are putting a very nice effects processor in front of a modeling amp.

the POD is far superior in quality effects, the amp may have different tones, but the pedal has more,and really better effects.

also MFX systems don't always work well with a modeling amp.

Eppicurt 02-05-2013 04:00 AM

Well, the amp is fairly versatile on its own. I don't see the need to add pedals to it at all really. :shrug: It should be fine for getting good blues and overdriven tones.

Offworld92 02-05-2013 04:01 AM

You have to listen to them both, really. While I think and state quite often that the POD HD has far superior amp models, I think the Boss beats it in FX (as does the GT-10). So IMO, it depends on what you want to use the unit for.

In any case, neither will work well with a Vox VT. Using a MFX with a modeling amp will almost never grant you good results - your gear should compliment all the rest of your gear. Each piece of gear you have in your chain should bring something to the table that nothing else you're running can. With a modeler and an MFX, you have two units trying to do the same thing. There's a conflict there.

More practically, that modeler (and most modelers) don't have FX loops, so you're not really going to be able to take advantage of the MFX all - these big $500 units are basically designed to be used in the Four Cable Method, to place FX and models both in front of your amp and in it's FX loop, so everything sounds as optimal as it can.

TL;DR if you're going to get a big floor MFX, get an amp that you can use it properly with. If you want a modeling amp, get a good one like a Peavey Vypyr Tube or a Line 6 Vetta II and get the dedicated floorboard for it (Sanpera or FBV, respectively).

trashedlostfdup 02-05-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Well, the amp is fairly versatile on its own. I don't see the need to add pedals to it at all really. :shrug: It should be fine for getting good blues and overdriven tones.

yea, or get a different amp that doesn't have any modeling and put a MFX until in front of it.

the pod could get amazing cleans and be pretty solid rock/metal tunes.

and if you want a modeling amp, i would pick up a vypyr tube 60 or 120. especially with the sanpera controller.

or if you like the amp get it.

chatterbox272 02-05-2013 04:18 AM

The idea around a modelling amp like the valvetronix is that your signal chain is pretty much Guitar -> Amp. They often don't take to well to pedals (although I have a friend who does great on his VT40+ with various boss pedals), and it's probably just easier to get the foot controller for your amp unless you have a specific reason for wanting pedals/multieffects.

omertaxtasy 02-05-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
You have to listen to them both, really. While I think and state quite often that the POD HD has far superior amp models, I think the Boss beats it in FX (as does the GT-10). So IMO, it depends on what you want to use the unit for.

What is FX? The Boss beats the POD in FX?

omertaxtasy 02-05-2013 06:46 AM

And I think I'm gonna chuck the idea for a valvetronix, getting a straight amp rather than a modeling amp and connecting it with a multi fx machine would be a lot better.

Offworld92 02-05-2013 03:45 PM

FX = effects