UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What is the best way to get motivation? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586575)

BjarnedeGraaf 02-05-2013 04:16 AM

What is the best way to get motivation?

Hi Pit, I need some advice....

I have to do 3 Microsoft exams to be able to go on an internship, where I have to do another 2 physical networking exams to finish school.

The thing is I can't get myself to learn the theory for the 3 Microsoft exams.
If I dont ace these next 3 Microsoft exams, I have to go on an internship without being able to do the physical networking exams, which would mean I have to extend my school for another year, and I already extended it a year because I'm a lazy f*cker.

so, how do I get motivated to actually do this? the story above here isn't even enough motivation for me to actually do something about it. My self disipline sucks major balls.

piratemetalhead 02-05-2013 04:28 AM

ignore the beginning :p:

Joshua Garcia 02-05-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
My self disipline sucks major balls.

Firstly, I think you should try working on this first. But rather than discipline, change the end result to something rewarding. For example, keep focused on finishing one task, then once that task is completed, give yourself 5 minutes of free time... or something like that.

This lesson made a lot of sense the first time I read it. It was for procrastination though.
I don't remember exactly what it said anymore.
I'd look it up... but.... meh.
I'll do it tomorrow.
...Maybe.

5_Years_Dead 02-05-2013 05:15 AM

It's probably time to quit smoking that "hippie lettuce."

strait jacket 02-05-2013 05:15 AM

hey hey hey hey
smoke weed
erryday

but seriously, focus on the payoff for the work, and if that doesn't work, remember the consequences of slacking.

Just force yourself, you DO have the power to control your own actions and if you want something, then man the **** up and DO IT

snipelfritz 02-05-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_Years_Dead
It's probably time to quit smoking that "hippie lettuce."

What if your goal is to get a job so can move out of your parents place in order to have your own place to smoke? :shrug: lol, that just happens to be my case.

And what's a "physical networking" exam? Is that like "how many chicks can you bang using Facebook?"

progdude93 02-05-2013 05:25 AM

Tell a friend of yours to punch you in the nutsack with brass knuckles every day if you haven't made some progress in your studies. However, since everyone needs a break every now and then, you get to have Sundays off. Problem solved.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure to tell your friend with the knuckles that Sundays are fundays (for hippie lettuce) so you don't needlessly end up with nut pudding.

ChucklesMginty 02-05-2013 05:26 AM

You don't need motivation, just fucking do it.

Do screw up your only life, because this shit is important. Jesus. Surely that's all you need to hear you lazy bastard. Do you have any idea how lucky you are to have an education?

BjarnedeGraaf 02-05-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
And what's a "physical networking" exam? Is that like "how many chicks can you bang using Facebook?"

No I'd have to go to a company and renew their entire network.
I don't know how else to call it. it's like having to do a theory test for your drivers licence, to be able to actually take the driving exam

slash_GNR666 02-05-2013 05:40 AM

BjarnedeGraaf 02-05-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash_GNR666

Love that song, love your avatar...

slash_GNR666 02-05-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
Love that song, love your avatar...

and you love my penis

s'all good :D

TooktheAtrain 02-05-2013 06:08 AM

This is going to sound stupid, but whatever.

The problem is your perception of yourself as a procrastinator. This self image means your behaviour will be congruent with said self image.

Imagine yourself as someone who can work as required, and then realize that new self image by taking small steps.

Set yourself ridiculously easy tasks at first, then escalate them. For instance, tell yourself you are capable of revising a single chapter of material.

Once you've read it, set yourself a maximum of 5 minutes to reflect on the material.

Increase the amount of content and time spent thinking about it incrementally, but slowly. Within two months* you should have built a solid habit of study.

I know this is a bit pop-psych and self-helpish but it works for me :shrug:

*based on this study

mystical_1 02-05-2013 06:21 AM

Here's my secret for getting a big project done that I don't feel like doing.

I start an even bigger project on something else. Then, to procrastinate not doing the bigger more difficult job, I usually will do the original chore to avoid it.

So, when you coming over to paint my house?

TooktheAtrain 02-05-2013 06:24 AM

oh btw i forgot to mention, if you can't concentrate, drop it and come back to it later. It's not really worth trying to force yourself to learn, it just doesn't work. But make sure you do return to it and don't just forget about it.

JohnnyGenzale 02-05-2013 06:45 AM

Yolo!

ChucklesMginty 02-05-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooktheAtrain
It's not really worth trying to force yourself to learn, it just doesn't work.

Not in my experience. That's normally exactly what I have to do.

It's hard work, it gets results.

Mister.Y 02-05-2013 07:03 AM

If internet distractions are a problem: http://getcoldturkey.com/

bondmorkret 02-05-2013 07:09 AM

Motivation comes from progress for me! Gotta see improvement to stay focused.

CoreysMonster 02-05-2013 07:32 AM

The best motivation is fear for your existance. You'd be surprised how little you get distracted when your home and food are on the line.