UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help with sheet music notation (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1586826)

Crumbs 02-06-2013 01:49 PM

Help with sheet music notation

Hi,

I have a sheet music, and I don't understand a specific notation/symbol on it.. maybe someone here has encountered it before and could shed some light.

I'm talking about the
" II --------- "
" III -------- "
parts.

I know that usually there will be a part like " I ------ " which should be played first time around, and then when you repeat and reach the same part a second time, you play the part noted as " II --------- " etc.
But here first of all there's no " I ------ " (first time), and besides - there's no repeating - the whole thing is played once from beginning to end and that's it.
If someone could help me with these parts I would really appreciate it - I can simply disregard them, but it really interests me.

Thanks!

Hail 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

do you have a picture or anything? i'm not sure exactly what you're referring to going off only that

cdgraves 02-06-2013 06:18 PM

what piece of music is this? Title/artist?

gunsnroses#1 02-06-2013 06:21 PM

Yeah I'm currently learning to read sheet and I have no idea what you are referring to.

rockingamer2 02-06-2013 06:33 PM

Volta brackets?

source

EDIT: Oh, I see that it isn't this. So I'm even more confused. It sounds like there are no repeats.

Hail 02-06-2013 06:42 PM

^ that's exactly what he just said it wasn't

jazz_rock_feel 02-06-2013 10:24 PM

You need to post a picture, because this:
II-------
is nothing.

cdgraves 02-07-2013 03:10 AM

Are you referring to lyrical verse indications? If so, I'd assume it to mean that the first "verse" is instrumental and the lyrics aren't sung until the second time through.

Crumbs 02-07-2013 09:42 AM

Oh Sorry guys! I thought I attached the link..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-4...dit?usp=sharing

It is not related to repeating the parts. I thought it may have meant barre position (ie finger on whole second bar etc.) - but if you see the notes that doesn't really make sense either..

jazz_rock_feel 02-07-2013 10:22 AM

That's indicating the string you play that line on.

EADGBE is VI V IV III II I

v What he said v

cdgraves 02-07-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
That's indicating the string you play that line on.

EADGBE is VI V IV III II I

NO!

The roman numerals above the staff in guitar notation indication Position - basically the lowest fret your fingers will play in the phrase under the bar. You see it most often when a piece includes a lot of barre chords (look at som Villa-Lobos Etudes).

That first indication for Position II is there because you're hanging on to that F# in the bass, which is on the 2nd fret. Near the end you see an indication for Position III because you'll hit frets 7, 5, and 3 for that descending G A B line.

You were sort of correct: they were position indications, just not for barres. Use the prescribed fingerings (C on 5th fret Gstring) and the positions will make perfect sense.

jazz_rock_feel 02-07-2013 02:08 PM

Oh shit, my bad. I knew that... <_<

Hail 02-07-2013 02:34 PM

whoa i thought you were trolling honestly ^

jazz_rock_feel 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

It's just been forever since I've seen or thought about position markings on a score, I never look at arrangements like that, or guitar music in general. And in real string music that would be an indication of which string to play it on.

Whatever. At the end of the day, you're still from Texas, so I win.

Hail 02-07-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
And in real string music that would be an indication of which string to play it on.

Whatever. At the end of the day, you're still from Texas, so I win.

missed ya bud

jazz_rock_feel 02-07-2013 03:38 PM

:haha: