UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   consistent practice. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587189)

johnyere 02-08-2013 02:55 PM

consistent practice.

Ever since I had exams (about 3 weeks ago), practice has been very inconsistent for me.

Before exams, I was locked into a daily routine (which included songs, sight reading, and improvising to backing tracks) that I had been following for quite a while.

What can I do to get back to practicing regularly and consistently?

AeolianWolf 02-08-2013 04:48 PM

practice regularly and consistently.

Sleepy__Head 02-08-2013 04:54 PM

This ^.

Just get on and knuckle down to it again.

bondmorkret 02-09-2013 04:22 AM

Just allocate a regular timeslot to each day and stick to it. Create a practice plan at the start of each day/week and hold yourself personally accountable if you don't stick to it. Also, suring practice get rid of distractions (no phone, facebook etc).

I wrote a book on practice strategy, you can check it out here if you're interested!

cdgraves 02-09-2013 11:06 AM

I like to divide my time into 15 minute intervals and practice 1-2 hours at a stretch.

mdc 02-09-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyere
Ever since I had exams (about 3 weeks ago), practice has been very inconsistent for me.

Before exams, I was locked into a daily routine (which included songs, sight reading, and improvising to backing tracks) that I had been following for quite a while.

What can I do to get back to practicing regularly and consistently?

I'm just gonna be awkward, and in the process actually confused myself...

Quote:
consistent |kənˈsistənt|
adjective
(of a person, behavior, or process) unchanging in achievement or effect over a period of time : manufacturing processes require a consistent approach.
• compatible or in agreement with something : the injuries are consistent with falling from a great height.
• (of an argument or set of ideas) not containing any logical contradictions : a consistent explanation.
DERIVATIVES
consistently |kənˈsɪstəntli| adverb
ORIGIN late 16th cent. (in the sense [consisting or composed of] ): from Latin consistent- ‘standing firm or still, existing,’ from the verb consistere (see consist ).

So basically, you want the latter which is...

Quote:
effectively |iˈfektəvlē|
adverb
in such a manner as to achieve a desired result : make sure that resources are used effectively.
• [ sentence adverb ] actually but not officially or explicitly : they were effectively controlled by the people they were supposed to be investigating.
• [ sentence adverb ] the real fact or implication is that; in practice : effectively, this means that companies will be able to avoid regulations.

Sleepy__Head 02-09-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
ORIGIN late 16th cent. (in the sense [consisting or composed of] ): from Latin consistent- ‘standing firm or still, existing,’

Ah, OK. So what the OP needs to do is stand very, very still.

Like a statue, or actually more like one of those performance artists who stand very still because a statue doesn't really stand - it's a piece of inanimate matter and inanimate matter can't stand - unless you're talking about music stands - obviously they stand - erm - **** it - now I'm confused as well.

Look - OP - if you're reading this don't move a muscle. If you move it will break your concentration and that could be literally fatal.

We'll send someone over in a day or two to check you're OK.

Obviously you won't be able to reply because you'll be rooted to the spot, but don't you worry - UG will look after ya.