UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Musician Talk (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Please Help (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587438)

MarkGraves98 02-09-2013 11:25 PM

Please Help

Hey guys i am gonna start of by saying i am new to this forum i am a 14 yyear old guitarist drummer vocalist and producer and thats about all you need to know! ;) anyway i am just writting a song and its coming up for the solo but i aint sure what notes to use because i mainly play in D tuning but in C (CGCFAD) so it would be really useful if someone could help me with where to solo around ! Thanks ;)

Junior#1 02-10-2013 12:34 AM

Depends on the key of the song. And 'where' to solo doesn't really make any sense at all. The notes for all scales and keys are found throughout the fretboard, so you can solo anywhere on the fretboard one you learn the key, the notes of the scale, and the notes of the fretboard.

MarkGraves98 02-10-2013 12:42 AM

Say if i am in C which i am would i play the C natural minor scale starting on the 8th fret and playing same as i would in standard? sorry my theory aint that good

GoldenGuitar 02-10-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraves98
Say if i am in C which i am would i play the C natural minor scale starting on the 8th fret and playing same as i would in standard? sorry my theory aint that good

Sorry mate, but that doesn't make any sense. I can't follow your line of logic at all. :shrug:

TheHydra 02-10-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

No. If you're in C standard, then C on the 6th string is at the 12th fret. You would be playing an A minor scale if you started at the 8th like that.

Morphogenesis26 02-10-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

If you are in the Key of C then playing the notes in that key is the safest bet. Do you know what those notes are?

The C on the lowest 3 strings in Drop C are the 6th and 4th strings open, the 12th fret on the 6th and 4th strings, and on the 5th and 17th frets of the 5th string. If you know the notes of the scale and how the alphabet works then you can find the rest on the fretboard.

Hail 02-10-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:
Hey guys i am gonna start of by saying i am new to this forum i am a 14 yyear old guitarist drummer vocalist and producer and thats about all you need to know! ;)

MarkGraves98 02-10-2013 12:16 PM

Thanks guys my actual guitar playing is up to grade 8 says my teacher but my theory not so much ;)

MaggaraMarine 02-10-2013 12:21 PM

Are all of the instruments in the same tuning? I mean, do you have a guitar playing in the background? Which chords does it play? It really doesn't matter in which tuning you are, the fingerings are the same. Play as if you were in standard. Use your ears and don't just play random melodies. You should really hear if you are playing the wrong notes.

mdc 02-10-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

:haha: :haha: :haha: You have the best gifs!

Yeah, TS. You're the fucking best.

Morphogenesis26 02-10-2013 03:15 PM

Guitarist, Drummer, Vocalist, and Producer...

I want to hear some of TS's stuff. :haha:

MarkGraves98 02-10-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Guitarist, Drummer, Vocalist, and Producer...

I want to hear some of TS's stuff. :haha:

What so bad about it? :D

Angusman60 02-10-2013 11:03 PM

Come ya'll. Give the kid a break.

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 7 on the 5th string.

MarkGraves98 02-10-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusman60

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 7 on the 5th string.

Thanks dude i will put a link on when ive finished the song thanks :)

food1010 02-10-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusman60

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 5 on the 5th string.
Fixed. He's in drop C, not C standard.

Angusman60 02-11-2013 12:16 AM

^^ My bad. I didn't read close enough. Thanks for the correction.

:-D 02-11-2013 04:50 AM

how exactly do you label yourself a "producer" when you cannot hit notes on your guitar and decide whether or not they sound good

Jehannum 02-11-2013 06:13 AM

If you're really grade 8 with that level of understanding you must be a prodigy of some sort. If you learn a little theory you'll be unstoppable!

dannydawiz 02-11-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:
so it would be really useful if someone could help me with where to solo around ! Thanks l

This should be simple. You're playing in drop C tuning in which the whole purpose is to take advantage of the low C string. I am going to assume that you're into metal. Metal likes minor.

Step 1 - Play in C Minor
Step 2 - Learn the SOUND of the minor scales.
Step 3 - Listen
Step 4 - Play
Step 5 ???
Step 6 - Results

Music doesn't sound different to our ears compared to yours. It should be obvious whether it's the note choices that sounds like crap or it's just your playing.

You must have both achieve mastery in both in order to sound audible.

MarkGraves98 02-11-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D

how exactly do you label yourself a "producer" when you cannot hit notes on your guitar and decide whether or not they sound good

I produce songs i put music together on programing software not every producer knows theory.