UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Can A Floyd Do Anything? (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587550)

GV8 02-10-2013 04:10 PM

Can A Floyd Do Anything?

Hey guys,

Basically I want to know if a Floyd Rose can do anything a regular strat trem can do?

Cheers, :cheers:

StrykVladzimsky 02-10-2013 04:32 PM

You can do divebombs with Floyd Rose, and it will definitely stay in tune much better.

Sullinger 02-10-2013 04:38 PM

wut?

4FunandProphet 02-10-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV8
Hey guys,

Basically I want to know if a Floyd Rose can do anything a regular strat trem can do?

Cheers, :cheers:

With the exception of being restrung quickly and easily, yes.

mmolteratx 02-10-2013 04:58 PM

Much greater range of pull up.

Showiddlydiddly 02-10-2013 05:09 PM

It can stop you doing twin bends like a strat trem.

supersac 02-10-2013 05:10 PM

yes i like a floyd better than a strat trem fromost things involving wammy
the only difference is a floyd take a bit longer to set up between string changes

trashbeast 02-10-2013 05:17 PM

Yeah it can do everything a strat trem does and more. It will add a whole new dimension to your playing if you use it right

Spaztikko 02-10-2013 05:18 PM

Doublestop bending is more difficult, nigh impossible due to it causing variances, but it's variable. Just block the ****er with a tremolno whe nyou want and you should be sweet.

trashbeast 02-10-2013 05:24 PM

actually doublestop bending ain't that bad (IMO), maybe takes some getting used to, but I use a floyd on my main guitar and I do it all the time, you just use your ears to adjust the bend as it goes

Trivium7 02-10-2013 05:25 PM

use a lot of springs (like 4) to avoid the floyd moving when you are doing two string bends or really heavy bends and have the guitar set up right with a tech and you can do much more then with a strat trem and it will stay in tune better.

ADOLF1612 02-10-2013 06:49 PM

On a Floyd Rose you can do everything a normal Strat tremolo can, plus you have more headroom for diving and pulling up the tremolo, perhaps having more liberty to do any kind of effects, flutters (a strat tremolo can do this too?), and thanks to it including a Locking nut it will hold on tune better under any ciscunstance when compared to a normal strat bridge.

And About the double stop bends, what about pushing a bit down the bridge with your picking hand while doing them? I do it all the time, it's just a little presure and is really easy, just gotta know how much you have to push to keep it sounding great, and that is easy too :) no extra setup/springs/blocking to do them...

Mephaphil 02-10-2013 06:56 PM

Everything? Well., this one time...

Dave_Mc 02-10-2013 07:59 PM

yes but a floyd tends to move in pitch much more quickly than a strat trem (think that's because of the locking nut, that's what john suhr says anyway), so a strat trem arguably does more subtle vibrato better than a floyd.

Spaztikko 02-10-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Everything? Well., this one time...

Feel the note. BE the note.

aaroncaper 02-10-2013 09:57 PM

can do anything but be easy to set up and string.. lol.
/sarcasm yeah, greater stability when being abused, but if a string breaks the whole thing goes out of tune

MrFlibble 02-10-2013 11:23 PM

Strat bridges are better if you want to be really accurate with your vibrato tricks; they also preserve sustain and the fundamental tone better. See: Jeff Beck.
Non-recessed double-locking bridges are better if you aren't so fussed about vibrato accuracy and having a slightly thinner tone and insist on the very best tuning stability. The difference between this and a Strat bridge is minimal. See: Richie Sambora
Recessed double-locking bridges are better if you want to do the most exaggerated dives and rises; you have no choice but to accept this comes at the cost of fundamental tones, sustain and the occasional slightly off-pitch note. The difference between this and a Strat bridge is substantial. See: Steve Vai.

GV8 02-11-2013 04:29 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I understand a lot more (:
But how about the special PRS trem system? I know that PRS have their own unique trem, can that do anything a floyd can? Like supreme dive bombs and dimebag squeelies?
Or let me put this differently, what can or can't it do?

Dave_Mc 02-11-2013 11:56 AM

^ I'm not that familiar with the prs trem, so take what i'm saying with a pinch of salt, lol, but i assume it's a bit like a wilkinson, so sorta in-between a strat trem and a floyd.

it's not so much what they can do and can't do, it's more how well they do it. if that makes sense. someone who's really good at setting up and maintaining a strat trem (not to mention expert at using it) could probably do most of what you can do with a floyd with a standard strat trem. but a (good) floyd does the more extreme stuff with less fuss.

just in case that sounds like i'm saying everyone should just use a standard strat trem, i'm not. for more extreme stuff i prefer a floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Strat bridges are better if you want to be really accurate with your vibrato tricks; they also preserve sustain and the fundamental tone better. See: Jeff Beck.
Non-recessed double-locking bridges are better if you aren't so fussed about vibrato accuracy and having a slightly thinner tone and insist on the very best tuning stability. The difference between this and a Strat bridge is minimal. See: Richie Sambora
Recessed double-locking bridges are better if you want to do the most exaggerated dives and rises; you have no choice but to accept this comes at the cost of fundamental tones, sustain and the occasional slightly off-pitch note. The difference between this and a Strat bridge is substantial. See: Steve Vai.

disagree. a non-recessed floyd is way different from a strat trem.

how does a recessed floyd help you do a more exaggerated dive, out of interest?

StrykVladzimsky 02-11-2013 01:16 PM

Because you can pull up and dive all the way down? A dive doesn't have to be from the middle point.