UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Pit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   (Lord it's hard to be happy when you're not) Using the Metric System (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587671)

daytripper75 02-11-2013 10:18 AM

(Lord it's hard to be happy when you're not) Using the Metric System
 




Should the US switch to the metric system? I guess this question is mostly for people living in the States, because I'm assuming people that already use it would say yes.


So, should we switch? Make the metric system the standard? I think it makes sense. Yeah, it's going to take some getting used to. That's obvious. In the long run, I think it would be worth it. Much simpler to use, and the rest (well most) of the world uses it.



We should keep MPH though. Nobody wants to measure speed in kilometers per hour. That's just for people that want to pretend they're going fast by saying that their car can go 160, when really it's just slow.


Vote away.

anvil is god 02-11-2013 10:19 AM

No. Don't want to be like britcunts. :p:

theogonia777 02-11-2013 10:20 AM

Our measurements are easy enough to convert because we're not stupid like Europeans and so we can handle numbers that aren't multiples of 10 in our everyday lives.

metacarpi 02-11-2013 10:20 AM

Should go metric.

I'm unusual in the UK, I use metric for measurement, as I'm an engineer. But when it comes to weight and speed, I use imperial.

Dammit.

whoomit 02-11-2013 10:20 AM


WCPhils 02-11-2013 10:21 AM

no, because we aren't eurofags

Tempoe 02-11-2013 10:21 AM

Have to switch eventually, you're living in the past.

JackWhiteIsButts 02-11-2013 10:22 AM

Switch over once I'm dead and don't have to internalize a new arbitrary system for measuring shit.

Gibson_SG_uzr55 02-11-2013 10:23 AM

I think they should start teaching kids metric, and labels, instructions, gauges, etc. should have both for the next 100 years to make sure all the imperial users are dead.

daytripper75 02-11-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit




Atom is better. :p:

whoomit 02-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
Atom is better. :p:

That's not the point.

The point is they're both good ^_^

CoreysMonster 02-11-2013 10:32 AM

Stop being so stubborn, English speaking weirdos. If you're not driving on the wrong side of the road or living on a continent where everything is actively trying to kill you, you're going on and on about how you "don't want to have to learn a new system" that's so simple it boggles my mind you haven't internalised it already.

whoomit 02-11-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Stop being so stubborn, English speaking weirdos. If you're not driving on the wrong side of the road or living on a continent where everything is actively trying to kill you, you're going on and on about how you "don't want to have to learn a new system" that's so simple it boggles my mind you haven't internalised it already.

:haha:

That last bit's a very good point though. I know both, it's useful. How can you not already know the metric system :haha

WCPhils 02-11-2013 10:36 AM

Question for the brits

Do you use both systems? Because I always thought you just used the metric system but then on Top Gear and stuff they say "miles" and "feet"

EDIT:
^Well I guess that answers it


EDIT2: I learned the metric system in school. It's not like we don't know it :haha:

JimDawson 02-11-2013 10:36 AM

I can use both for anything, but I have to admit that metric makes more sense. Actually, I use imperial for linear measurement most of the time because of construction stuff. Studs are pretty easy to figure out at 16 inches.

It would make more sense if a foot was 16 inches and a mile was 4,096 feet; it's not that hard to do mental calculations around those numbers because they are both powers of two. 256 feet would be a mile, and that's a perfectly square number. How the hell did they come up with 5,280?

I also think the world should just switch over to hexadecimal instead of this 10 digit system for a variety of reasons. Powers of two and 16 are just easier to work with, and it would save lots of time and paper in the long run. Especially now that we live in a computer age, I think we should make the switch.

JackWhiteIsButts 02-11-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Stop being so stubborn, English speaking weirdos. If you're not driving on the wrong side of the road or living on a continent where everything is actively trying to kill you, you're going on and on about how you "don't want to have to learn a new system" that's so simple it boggles my mind you haven't internalised it already.

It's not the conversions that are hard to internalize, pretty much everyone knows that a kilometer is 1000 meters. If someone were to say to me that they drove 365 kilometers to get somewhere I'd have no idea how far that really was. Or if someone described their height in centimeters versus feet and inches.

whoomit 02-11-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
Question for the brits

Do you use both systems? Because I always thought you just used the metric system but then on Top Gear and stuff they say "miles" and "feet"

Miles are used more than KM. For the most part we use both though.

I'm 5' 7 or smth. Not sure about my metric height, 168cm or smth. We tend to use both, but it really depends what we're doing.

naedauuf 02-11-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75
We should keep MPH though. Nobody wants to measure speed in kilometers per hour. That's just for people that want to pretend they're going fast by saying that their car can go 160, when really it's just slow. .

I don't consider 120km/h on the QEW to be going fast, the speed limit is 100km/h. It just seems that way because you're used to a lower number. If you use km/h for a while, a higher number doesn't seem faster. Obviously 60mph is the same speed as 100/kmh. No one says "GUYS I WAS GOING SO FAST LIKE 100KM/H"

theogonia777 02-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts
It's not the conversions that are hard to internalize, pretty much everyone knows that a kilometer is 1000 meters. If someone were to say to me that they drove 365 kilometers to get somewhere I'd have no idea how far that really was. Or if someone described their height in centimeters versus feet and inches.


Exactly. If you say someone is 7'2", I know that he would be one tall son of a bitch. If you said that someone was 1.89 meters, is that short or tall or what? And let's say that I'm trying to put a rim and backboard up on my garage. It's supposed to be 10 feet tall. But what if I only have a metric measuring tool? Is 10 feet 3 meters? 4 meters? It's just not going to be the right height no matter what I do. What if some girl asks me how long my weenie is? I don't want to tell her the wrong number in cms. And so on.

Sampy 02-11-2013 10:44 AM

We've really half arsed the metric system in the UK.

For weight I'll use metric, unless it's the weight of a person when I'll use imperial.
For liquids I'll use metric except for milk and beer.
For length I'll use imperial for anything over a metre and metric for anything less.
Fuel is priced by the litre, but usually I see fuel efficiency in Miles per Gallon.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.