UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tabs & Chords (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Melancholich hardrock/metal (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587773)

Christopher S 02-11-2013 10:15 PM

Melancholich hardrock/metal

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

long time, no flame.

Been working hard, hardly working, on my bands new album - and just finished the first draft for the album closer. It's a concept album, based on a fictional story conveying adultery, insanity, violent rage and despair.

Musically, some this might seem to drag, not make sense, seem out of place.
That would probably be due to recurring themes and re-use of previous motifs from the other songs. However, songs need to be able to stand on their own aswell.

Also, the vocals aren't written yet, and will definetely fill out some of the obvious voids.

What am I looking to recieve feedback on;
1; what sort of mood does it pull you towards?
2; does it flow well?
3; favorite part and least favorite part?
4; anything specific you might stumble over.

BloodReverence 02-12-2013 06:55 PM

It reminded me of the sadness and loneliness I felt while playing Silent Hill. Excellent use of dissonance in melody.
From what I heard, everything flowed well, except I'm still really wondering about the part that is just bass and vocals. Even with vocals it seems like it might be a bit empty.
My favourite part was definitely the "All the layers" part. So beautifully dark.

Christopher S 02-12-2013 10:03 PM

Thanks a lot BR! :)

Hehe, I can see why you're wondering about that part. The general idea there, are some really mellow vocals, with screams (not as in vocals, more like a woman screaming for her life, and a guy laughing), general ambience and stuff referring the overall story of the concept.

I've got to admit, thats my favorite part aswell. I just love it when you can just layer everything up, and it all makes beautiful musical sense.

Rawshik 02-12-2013 10:37 PM

I really enjoyed this, it makes me think a combination of Dream Theater and Swallow The Sun.

I don't really have anything to say about improvement, just that the part after the Vocal/Bass thing (around measure 161) seemed slightly happier sounding than the rest of the song. Sort of a "relief happiness" although that might have been my imagination. Does your band have any recorded material?

Christopher S 02-12-2013 10:43 PM

It is indeed a happier sound it.
Without giving to much away, the concept is story about a guy going from unaware, to rage, to madness, and finally to peace. Therefore, I felt it necessary to twist it a tad bit towards a less dark feeling towards the end.

Indeed we have.
https://soundcloud.com/pigeonlake/s...lake-i-mindrape
This is our EP, released in November 2012. Self-produced.
If you liked this one here, you'll probably appreciate Unnamed and Sacred - if not all of them.

Emperor's Child 02-12-2013 11:57 PM

1) Mood I hear is a mix of lonliness & uneasiness. In fact it sort of reminded me of 28 days/weeks later, so I guess that fits.

2) Yes, I'd say it flows fairly well.

3) My favourite part was Dark Re-Intro, right up to where that section finishes around bar 184. My least favourite part was probably Epiphany but that might be MIDI sounding a bit garish and incomplete.

4) You spelt melancholic wrong in the OP. :p:

Christopher S 02-13-2013 12:33 AM

Thanks EChild!

Seems like I've hit the spot in terms of conveying the right mood, at least.

Hehe, you're probably right about that one. The "Epiphany" part is actually a direct referance to an earlier track, just slower. We've actually recorded a demo of it, and it sounds alot better fully recorded... as most things do, haha!

Rawshik 02-13-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher S
Indeed we have.
https://soundcloud.com/pigeonlake/s...lake-i-mindrape
This is our EP, released in November 2012. Self-produced.
If you liked this one here, you'll probably appreciate Unnamed and Sacred - if not all of them.

Fantastic stuff, dude.

Christopher S 02-13-2013 04:16 AM

Thanks Rawshik!
I you like, follow us on facebook to be kept posted (www.facebook.com/PigeonLakeMusic).

BloodReverence 02-13-2013 02:28 PM

I checked out your soundcloud man. Some really good tracks on there, can't wait to hear this one recorded and uploaded there.

But I have to say, Unnamed was my favourite. That style that mixes a feel of Nevermore and Between the Buried and Me's softer parts in a hard rock aspect is easily my favourite.

Your vocalist is really good too. His voice is a lot like that of the singer from Volbeat. I have to say though, I don't like the radio-rock style songs you have even close to as much, just cause of the fact that I don't hugely like that style. Keep writing songs like this and Unnamed man.

Christopher S 02-13-2013 03:34 PM

Thanks a lot BR!

We are deffo doing more or less consequently darker songs on the album, just like the on in OP and Unnamed - prepare for more of that!

Also, as I am the vocalist; thanks a lot! I appreciate your good words. :)

Christopher S 02-18-2013 11:27 PM

Final tab uploaded in first post, for those of you who want to check it out. Not much edited/added, though.

Christopher S 02-26-2013 04:53 PM

130 new views since the update, no more feedback.

Giving this a bump for the sake of it. :)

tac_sundome 03-01-2013 12:36 PM

10/10

The mood reminded a bit of the band called "The lowest"

Check em out if you want to