UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Jumping into an 8 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587866)

Broken-pick 02-12-2013 11:16 AM

Jumping into an 8

Hey guys, so I've been offered an Agile Intercepter Pro 830 for quite a low price. I've always wanted to get an 8 string but I've never owned a 7 before. Would it be a good idea to jump immediately to an 8 string guitar? I know it's really much wider compared to a 6 string guitar's fretboard and even playing with a 7 string guitar feels really different from a 6 string guitar.

ProphetToJables 02-12-2013 11:18 AM

I don't really think you need to think of adding strings as steps up. You'll just have to play it and learn how to get comfotable with it.

Broken-pick 02-12-2013 11:25 AM

Yeah I thought so. But I'm kinda worried that a 30" 8 string guitar would be quite a stretch for my tiny Asian fingers.

bobafettacheese 02-12-2013 11:29 AM

Just an FYI the scale length may not be something you are used to (1) and the jump from 6 to 7 takes time to adjust, but if you are not used to a 7 the jump from 6 to 8 is significant (2). I have played a couple 8 strings and initially they felt cumbersome and I could not move around the fretboard like I would a 7, granted I probably needed to take more time and get used to it. Depends on how great of a deal it is, if you don't like it it really should not be that hard to get rid of.

GrStMyGn 02-12-2013 04:04 PM

I've always though this is a slightly rediculous argument. You don't start on Ukulele when you want to learn the guitar. Its a different feel yes, but if you require an eight for whatever reason, you'll get used to it, or not if its not for you.

Broken-pick 02-12-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrStMyGn
I've always though this is a slightly rediculous argument. You don't start on Ukulele when you want to learn the guitar. Its a different feel yes, but if you require an eight for whatever reason, you'll get used to it, or not if its not for you.

Nice, just the reassurance I need. Thanks mate! ;)

Yeah, so I'll most likely get it. Really really wanted an 8 string for quite sometime already.

DeadlyIllness 02-12-2013 11:36 PM

Add a low B and an F# below that. It just takes some getting used to. When you get one, try playing a few songs that only use the EADGBE strings so that you get used to the layout of the guitar, then work your way up.

Dayn 02-13-2013 04:32 AM

Do it.

Do it.

If you want it, get it. In my entire life, I've only ever played a seven-string once, and only for 10 minutes... Eight is better.

RyanStorm13 02-13-2013 04:45 AM

7 Strings isn't that much different than 6. I mean even when I first jumped on them, they werent that hard to play. Now that I am much better, it isn't hard for me to play my friends 7 strings, I mean whats not to get if your a guitar player?

8 strings are actually very common in history, cause lap steel guitars are 8 strings. But since there is no one way of doing 8 strings, it can get much more complicated, based on not all 8 string guitars are the same setup, like in 6 string guitars.

Like for example tuning will be way different, but more importantly which strings are added onto the guitar, two higher or two lower, or one high/one low...you never know.

Now days its just based off what you get, like Ernie Ball's 8-String Slinky which is what my friend has, and they are 10-13-17-30-42-54-64-74. I don't know of any other "preset" packaged set of 8 strings...most people experiment and add their own sets from guitar and bass sets.

Obviously with Agile, it comes with strings, like the interceptor I want is setup with 09-12-15-22-30-40-54-74. Which you can keep, or do your own thing.

JELIFISH19 02-13-2013 05:35 AM

Never played a 7-string in my life but I've played a bunch of 8-strings. The only thing that's difficult to get used to going back to a 6-string since it's so small. I think it's much easier to go bigger than it is to go smaller.

I didn't realize we're talking 30" here. That might be a little difficult to get used to. I've only played 27".

DeathByDestroyr 02-13-2013 09:02 AM

Do iiiit!

I think 8 strings are kinda silly, unless it's for like touchstyle, or uber-arpeggios. Even then, you have legato... 8 is crazy crazy.

Brett Valentine 02-13-2013 09:57 PM

I just recently bought a 9-string. It's a little bit awkward at first, but if you go slowly, you'll be fine.

MG_Sora 02-13-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyIllness
Add a low B and an F# below that. It just takes some getting used to. When you get one, try playing a few songs that only use the EADGBE strings so that you get used to the layout of the guitar, then work your way up.

Not trying to hijack the thread but, is this how you actually get used to, say, a 7 string? I've been wanting to get one but I'm afraid that when I get it, I end up like a donkey with a flute, not knowing why I got it, and not knowing what to do with it.

Please, don't say "if you don't know if you need it, you don't need it" I've heard it before, and I think that's a kind of cheap way to ignore a legitimate question.

Any tips?

MESAexplorer 02-14-2013 12:36 AM

Hi everybody, first time posting in probably about 2 - 3 years or more.

I've been playing 8 strings for about 4 years now (Ibanez RG2228) and 7 strings for close to 7 years.

You gotta ask yourself, why do you want an 8 string other than it being a good price. I can't tell you how many purchases I've made because they were a good price and ended up regretting it down the road.

As for learning an 8 string and if you should have a transition to a 7 string first, it depends on you.

Are you the kind of guy that knows what every note on the fretboard is and can pick up any guitar in any standard (as in well known) tuning and go to town, or does drop D compared to E standard confuse you?

How fast have you been learning and how advanced is your playing?

Can you make up good songs, learn, and teach yourself new techniques, chops, and licks without any prior instruction or attempts?

If you're doubting yourself on any of those, I would say you should probably consider a 7 string first. I can't tell you how many seasoned players I've seen have trouble transitioning to a 7, and when I've let them play on my 8 string they can't even figure out how to do a normal (6 string) G chord. At the same time, my guitar instructor at the time was able to play it like he's had one for years.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to assume the 8 string you're looking at is around $500. For that much money you can buy a great used 7 string, either a schecter hellraiser or Ibanez RG7420 7620 or 7621. I'm sure there are more great models available right now, but I've spent the past 3 years collecting guns instead of guitars so I'm a little rusty.

RyanStorm13 02-14-2013 05:06 AM

Learning 7 string is very easy. Just learn some songs that use 7 string, like Korn. You will instantly pick up on what is going down, and you will realize how they are able to get that deep low sound in their songs. When you drop D on a 6, its DAD, but when you drop A on 7 string, you got AEA, which is really what you want when doing metal like Korn.

If you understand the concepts of a 6 string guitar, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be able to understand a 7 or 8 string guitar, its all the same thing besides the fact you are no longer in the treble clef, but if you know treble clef then you should also know the Bass Clef, or be able to learn it. Even a 6 string has Bass notes on it.

I play bass, so I don't really care playing bass strings while playing guitar. I only like 7 strings cause you don't need to drop your E to get those lower sounds.

Dayn 02-14-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_Sora
Not trying to hijack the thread but, is this how you actually get used to, say, a 7 string? I've been wanting to get one but I'm afraid that when I get it, I end up like a donkey with a flute, not knowing why I got it, and not knowing what to do with it.

Please, don't say "if you don't know if you need it, you don't need it" I've heard it before, and I think that's a kind of cheap way to ignore a legitimate question.

Any tips?
Hmm... It's a good question. I wouldn't give that answer. Myself? I just wanted to play Meshuggah! And I did. Good fun. But then I started experimenting with this new range and phrasing opportunities.

And over three years later, I'm still discovering what I can do with eight strings. I'm still discovering what I can do with six strings. ...I'm limiting myself to the top three strings at times, and I'm still discovering things with just three strings.

All I can say is, if you want to try one... get it. If you want to try an eight, get an eight. A seven is a different instrument, as is a six. I had no idea of what I'd do with my eight when I got it. I've discovered an incredible amount now, and I still am. I feel like I'm missing a limb if I use a six...

rejected1 02-14-2013 07:59 AM

I say just go for it. It's a matter of getting used to. Even if you didn't like it, you could trade or sell it second hand.

Brett Valentine 02-14-2013 04:20 PM

A good way to get yourself oriented is to start scales on the 6th string, and work up to the first, and then try going all the way back down to the 8th.

Also the 3 note per string "sweep picking" scales actually cycle around completely once over 7 strings, so if you know those, it makes it a little bit easier to get around.

Also, you can chart out the neck on paper, and simply write out the notes. It'll get you thinking in 8 strings a little more.

rockstar256 02-14-2013 05:32 PM

30 scale seems very long, i guess only taller people would handle it without problems, ive played 24.75 six and 25,5 six and seven. Felt almost no difference. Gotta try 26.5 and 27 seven str. Also i dont get use of a instument tuned E to E. Theres bass for it. Its not like im saying its bad, cause i tuen from E2 to B1 to G#1. Its juts sound like bass....

hmmm_de_hum 02-15-2013 08:47 AM

I've had a couple of issues with chording on a 30" scale before, but it may work exceptionally well for you. If possible just try and play the instrument beforehand instead of committing to it blind, you can take advice of course but at the end of the day if it doesn't feel right in your hands then someone telling you that you'll adjust isn't going to instil much hope.