UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Gear & Accessories (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Marshall AVT150 Valvestate 2000 not working (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1587991)

foolman 02-13-2013 04:48 AM

Marshall AVT150 Valvestate 2000 not working
 
Hi
My amp in the title did not start up yesterday. All of a sudden i switched the switch to turn it on and no response. Everything is in and done properly and the power is switched on
IS there anything i can do?
Thanks!

GaryBillington 02-13-2013 05:25 AM

If you've checked all the connections, then the best thing you can do is get it to a shop with a decent technician & have them look at it.

If you need to ask on a forum how you can fix something, you can't do it yourself.

Eppicurt 02-13-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If you need to ask on a forum how you can fix something, you can't do it yourself.

Um, no?

TS, did it not power on at all? You might have just blown the fuse. It's simple to replace, just make sure you pick up one with the same specs and make sure it's a fast blow or a slow blow. If it blows right away again, you probably have a PT issue. In that case you'll have to find a tech to look at it.

Mephaphil 02-13-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If you've checked all the connections, then the best thing you can do is get it to a shop with a decent technician & have them look at it.

If you need to ask on a forum how you can fix something, you can't do it yourself.


That's a bit judgemental. What if it's just a fuse?

GaryBillington 02-13-2013 06:55 AM

If it's just a fuse, that's something he should have checked before even asking here. In a situation where something electrical won't turn on I'd consider changing the fuse to be something you do as part of checking all the connections before you start asking for help about how to fix it. That goes for anything, not just guitar amps, it's called common sense.

I repeat - if you need to ask on a forum how to fix something, you can't do it yourself.

Eppicurt 02-13-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
If it's just a fuse, that's something he should have checked before even asking here. In a situation where something electrical won't turn on I'd consider changing the fuse to be something you do as part of checking all the connections before you start asking for help about how to fix it. That goes for anything, not just guitar amps, it's called common sense.

I repeat - if you need to ask on a forum how to fix something, you can't do it yourself.

:facepalm:

What you do is irrelevant. He's probably never had to check for a fuse before so it's perfectly fine to ask. Also, why shouldn't he be able to fix something if experienced people on a forum can guide him through it? Granted, if it's something wrong with a PT or a blown cap, then he should take it to a tech, but to say no one can fix something if they have to ask online for help is just asinine.

Be gone now fool.

GaryBillington 02-13-2013 07:08 AM

I apologise for having more common sense than you.

Mephaphil 02-13-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I apologise for having more common sense than you.


The irony.

So if it is a fuse, he has to take it to a tech? No.

I suck at lots of stuff, but if there's an easy troubleshooting guide I can fix lots of shit once I know what it is. Of course, some stuff is way over my head, but if someone were to suggest the fuse I might check that, swap it over and it's done.

I take it you've never been stumped by something, only to find the solution is pretty simple?

Eppicurt 02-13-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I apologise for having more common sense than you.

Cute.

Go now.

GaryBillington 02-13-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
The irony.

So if it is a fuse, he has to take it to a tech? No.

I suck at lots of stuff, but if there's an easy troubleshooting guide I can fix lots of shit once I know what it is. Of course, some stuff is way over my head, but if someone were to suggest the fuse I might check that, swap it over and it's done.

I take it you've never been stumped by something, only to find the solution is pretty simple?

If you actually read what I said, you'd know I didn't suggest taking it to a technician to check the fuse. That's something people should do when checking the connections etc. I repeat: It's common sense.

Once you've checked those basics, if you don't know what you're doing the sensible answer is to go to someone who knows what they're doing, and that goes for all things, not just guitar kit. I speak to the guys in my local guitar shop, I'm friends with a couple of car mechanics and my sister owns an electronics shop. All say the same thing - a significant amount of the repair work they do is fixing things people tried fixing themselves by reading adivce on the internet or in books.

There's a reason these things have warnings on them that say "No user servicable parts inside". You have to know what you're doing. If you need to ask on a webforum, it's safe to assume you don't know what you're doing & shouldn't be fooling around in there.

It's also worth noting that if TS still has a warranty on his amp, anything he does beyond checking the fuse could void that warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Cute.

Go now.

I'll go when I have nothing more to say. I don't post if I don't have a relevant point.

Mephaphil 02-13-2013 07:53 AM

Of course stuff can be completely over our head, but if may still be very, very simple.

Your statement is still wrong. If you have to ask on a forum, you may still be able to fix it yourself.

GaryBillington 02-13-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Of course stuff can be completely over our head, but if may still be very, very simple.

Your statement still is wrong. If you have to ask on a forum, you may still be able to fix it yourself.

Someone who knows what they're doing probably can fix it themselves, and those people may benefit from double-checking their knowledge in the forums by asking a detailed question about what they're doing - you have never seen me reply to someone like that to suggest they simply go to a shop.

However, when someone has to ask what is wrong as well and provide very little detailed information about the problem, the chances are they don't even know what the proper questions are to get the information they need before they can even start understanding the answers they receive. IMO those are the people who should be directed to a technician - those are also the people who often do more harm than good when they try fixing things themselves.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.